What's new

*** OFFICIAL NYC Area HTF personal/personnel WTC tragedy thread **STAY ON-TOPIC PLEASE!!** (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I know some people who were possibley residing in NYC. I believe one of them was going to NYU for his PHD in Archeology or Paleontology. Last I heard they went there about 1 or 2 years ago. No idea where they are now. I have not been able to locate NYU with respect to the WTC, but I understand the University is ok. Another bonus of the internet. I saw it on their website. Thats not to say that students and faculty could not have been hurt.
I may try an old email to contact her parents to see where she is. They might be somewhere else, but I have no idea.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I recently relocated to NYC from Australia. We have always been shielded somewhat by being half a world away, but what I experienced yesterday was very scary indeed. My hopes and prayers for all those affected.
I work in a building across the street from the WTC. I had just gotten into work at 8:40am and was replying to some emails when I heard colleagues on the other side of the floor shouting and running. I saw a whole bunch of debris raining down outside our windows. A bunch of us walked down about 10 flights of stairs before the chief fire warden announced we should remain on our floors. We went back up and I called my wife. She was scared out of her wits. I still didn't really know what was happening at this stage. Reports of a bomb or a plane crashing into the WTC were floating around. Then I felt a shudder like an earthquake and my wife shouted into the phone while watching live TV, "Oh no! Another one just hit! Get out of there! Get out of there!" I then told her I gotta go as more debris rained down outside.
5 minutes later the call for evacuation came through and we walked down the remaining floors safely. I was amazed and proud at the calm of my colleagues. It was eerie looking up at the twin towers and seeing huge holes in their sides, with smoke and fire billowing out. Some of us made our way to the NJ ferries and made it across before the 1st tower collapsed.
I learned this morning that some of the people in my work group had made it all the way down after the first plane had hit and had just walked outside when the second hit. They had to run to escape the debris.
Again, best wishes to all affected. Anyone know of Ric P (he gave me some advice before I relocated) from the NJ side of the Hudson please let us know.
Thank you.
Joe

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I have a few family and friends in NYC.
One of my friends who is a law student at NYU was walking to school around the time of the first crash. When he looked up, he saw that the first tower was on fire. Right before he got to class, he heard that the second plane had just crashed into the other tower.
Another friend that I know was suppose to go to work yesterday (her job is located right near the WTC), but her alarm clock didn't go off at all and she ended up continue moving stuff into her new apartment instead of going to work. Also, just weeks ago, her job contacted her about how they wanted to transfer her to work at their location in the WTC. When they asked her, she (thankfully) declined.
I also have a few family members who work near the WTC. They said when the first plane crashed, they all started to pack up and leave their offices. When they got onto the street, they said people were screaming and running away from the WTC. They also made mention at the time that the only way you were getting home (if you didn’t have a car) was to walk, so since they took the train to get to work, they ended up having to walk three hours from NYC to Queens.
I’m just thanking god that all my family and friends who live in NYC or on Long Island are all okay.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on September 12, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Larry ... I am glad you are OK!
Update to my post earlier ...
During all the chaos on TV yesterday, I happened to see my ex-girfriend waiting on line to give blood on FOX News ... couldn't believe it.
Called her after 2 years of not talking to her ... she was OK. Her friend though, who I also know works on 96th Floor of WTC 1. She made it to work late yesterday so she is OK, and my ex says she feels reborn ... like she was given a second chance.
Basically if she was on time she would be dead ... the first plane crashed basically into where her company is ...
I am speechless of what is happening!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
THANK GOD!!!
One of my aforementioned friends (Virginia) that I hadn't had contact with in a while just responded to my email. She said, "I was not at ground zero, but I was very close and saw things with the naked eye that I wish I had never seen..."
She gave me a cell phone number which I'll call in the next few days, since circuits into NYC are still busy. I don't want to add to that traffic.
Now I'm just waiting on my other friend (Phil). earlier today I was able to get his voice mailbox (one of those that is set up by the phone company, you can hear the 1/2 second pause as you're switched over to the mailbox) and left a message with my number. Of course at night, all the circuits were busy so he probably can't call me and the one time I tried, I couldn't get through to him.
I pray for his safety.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
When I woke up this morning, I felt like I was hung over. I was so emotionally drained from the day before. I realized that I was running late this morning so I got ready and rushed out the door. On my drive to work, I decided to turn on the radio to see if there were any updates. They reported one of the phone calls that were intercepted from the plane that crashed in PA. Well, I simply lost it and started to cry. I kept asking myself why did this happen? I don't know what I would do if I had any children. What could I tell them if I couldn't understand myself?
With tears rolling down my cheeks, I got into the left-hand turning lane of an intersection. As I was waiting to turn, I saw a car pass by with a women inside. She was crying as well. I imagine that this was happening all over the country. It will take a long time for this nation to heal.
I feel nothing but a deep, deep sadness for all those who have perished. Each life touches so many others. For this reason, we are all victims.
I am happy to hear that your son is ok, RAF. I was also fortunate to hear that my friend's mother ,who works for the Pentagon, is ok. She is still a little shaken up and understandably so. My heart and deepest felt sympathy goes out to the families that weren't so lucky.
This country is traditionally strong and I have no doubt that it will continue to be so.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
By comparing my post counts and the time I've been here, one might call me a lurker. I prefer the term "occasional poster". However, I've had a chance to meet some of you in person. Oh, I also work a block from the WTC.
I arrived on the PATH train from Hoboken at the World Trade Center about a minute or two after the first plane hit. Nobody thought anything was unusual as we went up the escalators to the mall under the WTC, nothing except that oily smell in the air. And the police who were yelling for us to "Go that way! Now! Go!" And the sudden stampede of several dozen people in that otherwise empty mall, streaming from One World Trade, screaming and running. I thought it was a terrorist attack -- that there were people with guns behind these people -- but there was no gunfire.
Outside, the ground was covered in paper. Newspapers, blank sheets, printed sheets. It looked like the aftermath of the Yankees ticker-tape parade that took place one block over, over on Broadway. I turned around with the dozens of people and looked up to see One World Trade Center. The top twenty or so floors were covered in smoke. There was a line of fire along the east side.
I went to my office to AIM a reporter friend on the west coast and to call my wife. All I knew was "a plane hit one of the World Trade Center towers". After telling Tamara what happened, the second plane hit. I thought the first tower was collapsing.
Something fell off the ceiling. Something large seemed to float to the ground in the plaza between our building and One Liberty Plaza. People were yelling that we were evacuating our building. I had to leave a short message with my wife. I wasn't able to talk to her for over two hours.
One plane could have been an accident. Not two planes.
We escaped to the street. I instantly went east, then north, staying away from large crowds when I could, staying away from anything that could have been seen as Americana, staying away from federal buildings.
I am fine. My wife is fine. We're fine.
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed or Make a Donation!
[Edited last by Thomas D on September 12, 2001 at 10:27 PM]

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
My best wishes and prayers to all of you...
May those who are responsible for this attack be caught and punished...

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your well wishes. For being so close to "ground zero" I did not suffer at all compared to the suffering of all relatives and others I see on TV. I dont know if its psychological to feel guilt for not suffering, but Im writing this at 4AM since I cant sleep.
Anyway to answer Robert's sonic boom question. The first crash made my building shake as if it were a sonic boom - but I never felt anything like that before. I guess thats what an earthquake feels like - since Ive never experienced one. I read that the crash and subsequent collapses did register on the Richter scale. I did not see any military aircraft fly above the Hudson on Monday.
There have been numerous small aircraft flying up and down the Hudson River for years - pilots said it was the best view in the world - though I never really understood how the FAA let them get so close to buildings. Flying into Laguardia on the Delta Shuttle from Boston I remember several times flying above 34th or 42nd St and seeing the Empire State Building from above. Those were awesome views. Ive never seen large aircraft fly up and down the Hudson River, until yesterday.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have re-opened this thread with the following conditions.
This thread is to discuss those events in New York and personal experiences with this. This is NOT a thread to discuss how the US should respond in this situation or any other matter.
Those posts that are out of line will be deleted and the member removed from the forum.
Parker

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As the originator of this thread, I am in total agreement with Parker regarding the re-opening and continuation of this particular thread because of the specific nature of the subject matter and its possible timeliness.
As most of you undoubtedly know, the Internet has been understandably inundated with discussions of this almost unspeakable tragedy. In fact, it is probably a catharsis to be able to let off some steam by venting a bit in a place that gives literal access to the world community.
However, it is now becoming quite apparent that the infrastructure of forums like the HTF were not designed to handle the traffic regarding this very sensitive and emotional topic so the decision is being made all over the net (not just here) to close or remove threads regarding this subject since this is not a forum devoted to world events in general. The After Hours Section was put in place to offer an off-topic place to meet, but not at the expense of taking down the entire HT related forum. I'm sure you understand the reasoning behind that.
As an alternative, there are many, many other websites in existence that are specific to this on-going tragedy should you feel the need to participate and express yourself.
That said, I remind you, as Parker did, of the narrow focus of this particular thread. We have many people in the HTF community who have ties to the NYC area, myself included, and there has been genuine concern regarding the condition and status of our fellow members. So far, the vast majority of news we have received regarding this has been good news, although with the number of casualties that are being talked about, is almost certain to have more somber aspects, although I hope and pray I am wrong in that regard.
So do as Parker suggested - stay focused on the subject at hand here and do not let this turn into political and other emotional statements that, while they have their place, do not really contribute to the current thread. We will be monitoring the responses here and trust that you understand our position. Parker has provided some specific guidelines and consequences and I fully support his position on this.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My wife has been pulling a second shift at the hospital she works in out of her department answering phones in the ER, calls from desperate family members, fellow officers, friends. They haven't gotten many of the victims at this location, since they're not a trauma center, just some of the "walking wounded" that were ferried to Liberty State Park in Jersey City. She rarely gets to give good news. She gets home late and stops crying when she falls to sleep.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
***UPDATE***
In my previous post I told you folks about my wife's friends' sister working in the WTC.
She worked on the 84th floor in the 2nd tower. When her friend got to New York everyone told her that her sister is probably dead. They searched a bunch of areas and hospitals, but could not find her. Everywhere they went they said she is most likely dead. Well, They found her Wed. morning at a hospital having some injuries taken care of. I guess after the 1st plane hit, she decided to get the hell out of the 2nd building. By the time she finally made it down the stairs, literally seconds after walking out of the tower, it collapsed. She received injuries from the flying debris, but she is OK.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on September 13, 2001 at 10:01 AM]

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I wish to express my condolences and my most deep, heartfelt sorrow for all those affected by this tragedy. My prayers are with you all. We, in Saskatchewan, Canada, are also giving blood up here to be shipped to the USA and pray it is of some help.
God be with us all.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I live about 40 miles east of our former WTC. While putting a US flag on my porch this morning, I was hit by a smell of burnt plastic and a fine film in the air.
I've spent five of the past ten years working off and on in NYC. I had one stretch from mid 93' through 95' at a British Bank near the Seaport. This was right after the first WTC attempt, and the only reason I could do it was because it was street level. No more high rises for me.
God bless those who perished and the families who must continue without them.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
It's thursday morning, and I'm reading and posting to this thread from work.
I live in Toronto. This week, I've been a New Yorker.
Two days after the fact I still don't want to be at work. I want to be at home with my face in my hands. I want to cry so badly. I can't do it here, but everything that I see or think of reminds me of this tragedy. How do you justify the everyday grind of life when you know that something like this can happen.
Everything but life seems incredibly insignificant to me right now.
I stand here in my office and listen to people talking casually and laughing about everyday life, and I can't fathom how they're able to function. I'm angry that the world has not stopped to mourn this event.
No language on this planet has the vocabulary necessary to properly describe the sorrow that I've been feeling for the past three days.
I hurt. I feel the hurt of every individual that has been affected by this unspeakable disaster.
That's about as colorfully as I can express it.
My every wish of goodwill goes out to those affected by this horrific event.
I just heard that 5 more firefighters have been found in the rubble.
May we all know peace one day. Hug your loved ones whenever you can. Appreciate life. Remember this sad event, and don't let it happen again.
Be good to each other.
My deepest sympathies...
Moe.
[Edited last by Moe Maishlish on September 13, 2001 at 12:44 PM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
GREAT NEWS!!!
Five firefighters have been found ALIVE in the rubble of the WTC and rescued after being trapped for two days.
Finally some good news for once.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 13, 2001 at 12:54 PM]
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 13, 2001 at 01:04 PM]

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I stand here in my office and listen to people talking casually and laughing about everyday life, and I can't fathom how they're able to function. I'm angry that the world has not stopped to mourn this event.
Everyone mourns in their own way. After awhile you just can't take all the bad news and have to talk about something else. Tuesday afternoon around 1pm after spending the 4 hours constantly listening to bad news a friend and I just couldn't take it anymore. We left for lunch to go someplace we couldn't look at tv's or hear them. I realize the people in the midst of this don't get to do this, but if you constantly dwell on the sadness it just eats you up. If we all stop what we are all doing all this week, all that does is show the terrorists that we give up and they have won. They cannot defeat us. We will keep going, we will survive.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks