What's new

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Got it.

64GB White 4G Model.

Hope I did not devalue the purchase by engraving it, but
I thought it was a cool thing to do.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The ability to redownload movie purchases pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of me buy Blu Rays at the rate that I was buying them. It's going to take the big movies to buy anything on disc ever again.
This was the news I've been waiting to hear.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Keith Plucker said:
P.S. And what is up with the name? We now have "iPad 2" and "The new iPad". Sorry, that seems dumb to me.
They probably realized that they dug themselves a hole:
  • originally going from "iPhone" to "iPhone 3G" for perfectly good reasons
  • iPhone 4 was the fourth!
  • 4S versus 5 "disappointment"
  • devolving into the "will the next one be iPhone 5 or iPhone 6" nonsense
They will now do a retcon. Just like "iPod" and "MacBook", the name is simply "iPad". There was the first one; then number "2"; and now it's the "new" one. And next year there is likely to be a new "new" one. When it matters, people will make the distinction like with an "iPod 3G" or a "MacBook (early 2011)", but most of the time, it's just "iPod" and "MacBook", and now "iPad". The name is not "The new iPad".
There is only one "iPad" model line, now starting at $399. That just happens to be the low-res model formerly known as "iPad 2".

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So with movies in iCloud, does this mean the digital copies we got from various BD releases are now "matched" in iTunes just as with music? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Cameron Yee said:
So with movies in iCloud, does this mean the digital copies we got from various BD releases are now "matched" in iTunes just as with music? Or am I misunderstanding something?
They are. As of right now, I have 119 movies in my movies in the cloud through iTunes. The majority of the movies that I have come from digital copies I used from a BD purchase. Bought Footloose 2011 yesterday, used the digital copy that came with the set and it showed up in iCloud.
I swear, this is kind of huge for me because I've been looking for a way to still collect films as a cinema fan, but at the same time, physical storage was going to eventually be a problem if I continued on.
Sure, I could just rent and be done. But, there are films that I haven't watched in years but I do get the urge to revisit them.
With this service, I have a digital library that I don't necessarily have to have on my HD. Using my digital av adapter, my iPad has officially become my primary movie playing device for my television.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone wanna buy my grandfathered in AT&T unlimited plan?
http://www.cultofmac.com/151313/4g-data-plan-pricing-for-new-ipad-revealed-unlimited-plan-owners-grandfathered-in/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter
(Note: Haven't confirmed that is actually possible yet)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
With all these references to the iCloud service--won't people have to pay for excess capacity? If so, how is that any better than streaming it from a home drive on the network?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I grabbed the 64G AT&T. Yes, yes.. but it matches with my plan.. 90% of the time, it'll be WiFi. But I like the option when it's not.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I just realized I will be on vacation when it arrives! I had to change shipping to make sure it goes to where I work :) Whew! But delivery by the 16th.. pretty sweet!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I originally ordered a 64GB White model.

Thought about it....thought about it....went and
canceled it and re-bought the same thing in BLACK.

Just think BLACK looks classier, and someone brought
up a good point on CultofMac that the black border bars
will look better against movie playback.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
I grabbed the 64G AT&T. Yes, yes.. but it matches with my plan.. 90% of the time, it'll be WiFi. But I like the option when it's not.
is there any benefit in an AT&T iPad if you have AT&T iPhones? I thought the plans are completely separate.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First two bits I've read are that iPhoto is a confusing mess.
I was ready to buy it, but now I'll wait for more reviews.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ronald Epstein said:
I originally ordered a 64GB White model.
Thought about it....thought about it....went and
canceled it and re-bought the same thing in BLACK.
Just think BLACK looks classier, and someone brought
up a good point on CultofMac that the black border bars
will look better against movie playback.
I got an iPad2 for my wife for Christmas (she's not enough of a gear head to care about not having the latest version) and I chose the white one for two reasons. One, to avoid confusion when I get my black one later this year. Two, because I care a lot more about having a black frame around video playback than she ever would.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DaveF said:
is there any benefit in an AT&T iPad if you have AT&T iPhones? I thought the plans are completely separate.
Completely seperate. No need to match plans at all.

Users who are viewing this thread