What's new

*** Official MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I saw the film on Saturday and liked it more than I thought I would.
A few things had me scratching my head.
Excuse me if these have been asked already, this thread is only 2 pages long and I assume it was created from a longer one...

Why is Davian? (PSH) asking for the Rabbit's Foot?
Unless I fell asleep, didn't Hunt come to the meeting with it?
I know he had it tagged, but I thought he was carrying it in the trainyard.

Even if Hunt doesn't have it, wouldn't Davian know that already since he is in cahoots with Hunt's boss???

Why does Davia let him go so easily?

What happened to Davian's crazy scientist side kick?

After the opening scene, I lost all of the tension when I couldn't figure out why he was asking for something that I just witness Hunt recover and have in his possession.

They did need to flesh out Hoffman' character a bit more. I doubt someone that ruthless and untouchable would put himself at risk by exacting revenge on an employee of the government. To him, Ethan Hunt is really small potatoes.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm still at a loss as to what the pre-credits flash-forward does for the narrative besides manipulate the audience into thinking that "Julie" is going to die. It really serves no purpose to the narrative. At first I thought they were beginning the movie with an Indiana Jones-ish type of opening where you are dropped into the middle of an action sequence to get the movie going. Upon discovering soon thereafter that it was a flash-forward and that I was now watching a flashback for the entire first two-thirds of the movie: simply confusing and unsuspenseful. As an afterthought, leaving the theater, I would have preferred the opening sequence deleted and we begin the movie thinking Ethan has retired and is getting married. Then when she gets kidnapped and threatened by Davian at the count of ten, it would have been that much more suspenseful.

Other than that, it was a good popcorn summer blockbuster. I have long since given up on these type of action-adventure films having any depth in either character or plot, thus it is difficult to disappoint me with these types of movies.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

The whole torture/where is the RF scene is because Davian and Musgrave were unable to open the cannister, so they were trying to make sure Hunt brought them the real deal.

I don't think Davian is paying attention when Hunt gets away...but, he knows exactly where Hunt will go and follows him there.

I don't know what happened to the scientist guy. I assume he got his just rewards in some way.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

This is typical of JJ Abram's style. He did it for the pilot of the Alias TV series. And it became a sort of signature of that show.

I'll bet we'll see this in the forth coming Star Trek film he does. Film opens with a shot of a starship heading towards the camera, smoking and leaving a trail of ion gas as a Romulan Bird of Prey is chasing it. Poof, the start of the Romulan Wars.;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Abrams is enamored with flashbacks. The pilot of Alias begun almost exactly the same way (a roughed up Sidney tied to a chair). A few other eps begun with flashbacks.

About half of LOST's running time is flashbacks.

--
H

Brent T

Second Unit
I enjoyed MI3 but didnt think it was anything great. It had some pretty decent action scenes and the plot was much better then #2 however I think this franchise is dead. Nothing more to see here, please move along...

What was the point of the scene at the end with his wife being all happy go lucky in some secret building? She is super friendly and laughing it up with the others. I just didnt get this ending at all.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the whole beginning of the movie referenced how nobody at work (IMF) had met her, showing how Ethan didn't trust the '2 worlds colliding'. so now at the end she knows, and it's all good.

Brent T

Second Unit

Ohhh so a super high-tech, ultra secret unit that has to keep its true idoneities secret is just gonna have a party with the new mrs. cruise, gotcha lol

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

Abrams' direction (I am sorry to say) is extremely ordinary. In the middle of actions scenes I kept wishing for a director more adept at conveying spatial relationships, one that could make you understand the action rather than just subjecting you to it.

The movie was ear splitting loud at my showing. Strangely enough (is it?), MI:2 is the only other movie I have ever found too loud, and that was in another state.

I disagree about... Enemy of the State :). Several memorable scenes, the best being Smith and Hackman on that roof, "Brill" yelling (paraphrase) "you have something they want!", as the chopper shows up... goosebumps :D.

--
H

nash

Auditioning
hey, does anybody know the names of the songs played at the beginning of the film at the party in their house?

EricW

Senior HTF Member

i agree that his approach isn't splashy, but sometimes with guys like Woo (MI2) and T.Scott (Man on Fire, Domino) it just gets too much. i thought aside from the opening White House sequence in Xmen2, both Xmen movies had really bad action sequences. still, l thought the camera work in MI3 was good - just not great.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You can't agree with me on a point I never made :)

Splash isn't the issue. Understanding what the heck is going on is. This is what seperates the kids from the adults in this genre.

--
H

EricW

Senior HTF Member
my bad :) but i still like the actions scenes in MI3 more than X1 and X2 :P though i did like Usual suspects and Superman Returns is looking good.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
OUCH! did George Lucas just rip Tom Cruise?!?!?

-----------------------------------------------------

George Lucas on Indiana Jones 4
Source: MTV May 11, 2006

MTV caught up with George Lucas who says that Indiana Jones 4 will prize dialogue over decibels.

"I think Tom Cruise proved that people are getting bored with that kind of stuff," Lucas said when asked about the action. "What they want to see is something different. And 'Indiana Jones,' if nothing else, is always different."

He says the script is finally done and the film will "probably" start shooting next year.

"We're working on it, we're working on it," Lucas added. "We've been working on it for 10 years. I think it'll be a great film, but it's completely different. It's still got a lot of action, and it's still very funny. I think it works like crazy."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14499

EricW

Senior HTF Member
to have George Lucas criticize you for dialogue is pretty bad. maybe James Cameron could join in too. :)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
A precordial thump is a legitimate and specific technique (with low probability of success). IANAD, but it's not either-or: you have to get the heart back into a regular rhythm, and compressions only sustain the person until you do. With no defibrillator, there's not much else to try. But yeah, having seen Lost, I was waiting for it. At least in both cases, it was actually performed by a doctor. Unlike say, in The Abyss.

Since no one has mentioned it: Michelle Monaghan is hot. I'm not sure what to think of them going action-romantic-comedy at the end, with Hunt going into training mode with the gun (of course it was good that he did), and then wasting two seconds to say, "I love you"; surely he learned that seconds count. I actually laughed out loud at the beginning, when they learned it would take 30 seconds to charge. Probably should have started that before Zhen fell out of the helicopter.

That point at the end of the pendulum swing, before he released, he hung in the air for like a half-second. Looked totally fake, almost as bad as Charlie's Angels.

I missed a bit of dialog during the rescue, just before Hunt and Ferris start shooting. As they're running, she asks/says something about a "transmission". Anyone remember it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks