What's new

*** Official "MEN IN BLACK 2" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
It's too bad you guys didn't get to see the short. It was very cute and funny. Or at least I found it to be so after what seemed to be 20 minutes of commercials (damn, if this amount of commercials becomes normal I'm never stepping in a theater again) and trailers. The only trailer I enjoyed was the Two Towers one but the rest, ugh.
I really hope the short makes it to DVD. I want to examine the inside of the bar a bit more. It's filled with SF icons. :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The short was funny. I wasn't sure at first if it was a trailer for a movie or not.

again, not the worst movie ever, but the first time I've been bored in a 80 minute movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no trailer at the granite run mall in delaware county.
i thought the movie was funnier then expected after reading some of these posts. in one reveiw it was even called an abortion. :rolleyes:
this is what i call a throw away movie watch it once enloy it for what funny moments it did have, then throw it away. no need to see it again.
lara boyle looked more like she was taken from an old black and white low budget hoorror movie with that white pasty look, and that giant hair style.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i did have a few laughs. the half full theater was a morgue though.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the movie was hilarious. I can't understand why so many of you are panning it so heavily.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Just goes to show that comedy is very much a matter of taste. I thought there was very little too laugh at in Men in Black II.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I respect the hell out of Jason's opinion, but he saw this
Wow. When I saw it, that was the scene that completely and totally sucked the life out of the movie. When you recite Will Smith's skills, physical comedy probably won't be the first thing you think of, but this was extra-special painful. He didn't even look like he was trying to get up. It's one of the most spectacular joke failures I've ever seen.
While I thought it was pretty darn funny and was one of the few times that my dead audience actually laughed quite a bit.
With all the negatives I can't give anyone a full recommendation. I have to qualify it heavily - I liked it but it's quite possible you might hate it.
It doesn't seem that it can even be judged based on what people thought of the first one, although I guess if you hated the first one then there is no way in hell you will like MIB2. :)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Man can't win for trying, apparently.
I liked MIBII, honestly. It was funny. I think the first one is a better film and is funnier overall, but I have none of the reactions some of you vitrol spewing folks did.
* Tommy Lee Jones - funny, just as funny as the first one. I remember an interview I read for MIBI when it first came out, with TLJ. One of the questions was something like "do you feel you're good at comedy?". His response was something along the lines of "no, I have no comedic sense. I don't think I'm funny. However, they tell me when I stand there playing straight while Will Smith is being funny, that THAT'S funny". He did that here too, and it worked just as well as the first one I thought. K as a postal inspector/postmaster general or whatever was hysterical. Some of the best lines in the film were K.
* Will Smith - funny funny funny. The bubble wrap scene I liked a lot. It's like the joke near the end of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, where Jay and Silent Bob are about to pound the guy at the security desk in the office corridor, who's holding up his hand while he's on the phone going "that's right. uh huh. That's right. Thaaaaat's right." on the commentary for J&SBSB, Kevin Smith said the only way the joke could have been funnier is if it'd been longer, and that's what I say about the bubble wrap scene too. It could have only been funnier if it'd been longer. J's first appearance back in MIB HQ was hysterical, all the MIB personnel shying from him, the one guy who's like "don't neuralize me!". Will Smith was just funny throughout.
* The newspaper guy in the Battery Park room (the MIB elevator guard I guess is what he is); that guy was GREAT in this film. "Neuralized another partner I see." and later on when J and K come back and go down the elevator hours after the lockdown, and his only response is to turn the page of his paper and mutter "it's about time you guys got here."
* Agent T aka Patrick Wartburn(sp) ... HYSTERICAL! He was the best part of Big Trouble, was great as the Tick (Agent T, get it?), and is just generally funny as hell. "You're gonna neuralize me, aren't you? That's why you took me to a public place, so I wouldn't make a scene" all delivered while he's blubbering like an idiot in the middle of a diner with everyone staring at him. Patrick is funny always, hope he keeps getting work!
* The new car, pretty damn funny. The line from the trailer was good "well it was a black guy but he kept getting pulled over", but also the bits about the controls "well did you ever have a gameboy? like that" to which K says "what's a gameboy?" .. great fun. I also *loved* the undercarriage neuralizers that were auto-neuralizing everyone the car flew over!
* Locker bits - oh hella funny. "All Hail J!" The little world living in the locker was a great little bit.
* The Worms - still funny being surly. "Go shut off the main power." "Can't, too scared." "No up that way." "What, away from the guns? Oh okay, we can do that." The twister game, the duty free shop problems.
* The subway car at the beginning, damn funny. The best part was when J had to reneuralize them because he went on so long the effect started to wear off. And the neuralization of the car driver at the very end as he walked off, great.
* Mr Show, first movie as a morgue attendant, this time as a video store owner. Funny. "Would you guys like some mini pizza? They're good, little bagels with pizza stuff and cheese on'em. My mom will put some more cheese on them too, and she has palsy so she'll put a lot .... no ... no thanks Mom!"
I didn't think Lara Flynn Boyle was all that great as the villain, but I also don't think it was really her fault. I also didn't like Johnny Knoxville, but I hate him anyway so go figure.
If you didn't get the CG animated short at the beginning of the movie, you were robbed. It was extremely funny. Beware the chubb chubbs. The ending about killed me, with the karokee singing without applause, then the chubb chubbs start growling, and the audience goes wild! ;)
Too bad so many of you didn't like it. Don't know what to say or tell you. Sorry some of you are wishing pain and dislike of it on others though, that's just not cricket. This was *NOT* Wild Wild West, for sure. That movie was crap, this was funny.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I was really looking forward to this movie because I absolutely loved the first one. In fact Edgar Bug was my favorite of the bunch. IMHO he made up a large part of the first MIB.

MIB2 was a major disappointment. There were so many things that just didn't work and it just wasn't funny.

The Chubbs Chubbs animated short was funnier than the movie.

The only way I'll buy the MIB2 DVD is if it included the animated short that preceeded MIB2.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Eccchhhh!! Terrible, Terrible movie. I loved the first one, and this one just plain sucked. Frank the dog was the only thing funny about it, and the bubble wrap scene. Everything else was just dull borring and unfunny. It even seemed that there were several moments in the movie where it was just dead quiet, no dialog, no music, it struck me as very odd.
As a sidenote, sweet jesus, i've never seen so many damn commercials in front of a movie. I looked at my watch, it was literally 27 MINUTES before the movie started from the time the lights went down and the screen came on!! What the F**K???? There were at least 10 commercials, about 15 minutes worth, then about 4 or 5 previews, then the dinosaur short came on, which I found very annoying. After the short I'm thinking, finally we get to see the movie. BUT NO!!!! we get to watch 3 more previews (or I guess they're postviews now). And to top it off, No two towers preview, and no T3 teaser.
If this amount of commercials and previews continue, I swear to god I will never set foot in a cinema again! and they just raised the prices again! $9 for a non matinee show! :angry: :angry: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I LOVED this film. After reading all the spiteful comments in this thread I was expecting a real stinker. To my surprise and delight, I REALLY enojyed it. It was much funnier than the first film IMO, and though the first wins solely because it was more substantial, and because the jokes were fresher and 'new', the sequal does them all better and quicker. I also didn't think it was too short. It was just the right length for the sort of entertainment it set out to be. Great fun. My favourite moment was when K caused the tidal wave on the mini-planet in the MIB headquarters, and one of the beings living there screamed "All is lost!" :laugh: That one had me in stitches. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith worked very well together again, and I enjoyed Lara Flynn Boyle and Johnny Knoxville.
Other great moments:
"Do you want to go to Cambodia?"
"Yeah."
(picking up shovel) "Mom!"
"Once you've had worm, that's what you'll yearn."
"Who let the dog's out?" ;)
"Don't worry folks I used to live here, just need to pick up some stuff."
"What about our relationship based on trust and mutual respect....(bad guys come crashing threough the wall)... He's over there."
"K! He's a Ballchinian!" :laugh:
The bubble-wrap moment.
Also, I really liked the last scene. It ended the film in the same playful way that the rest of the movie played out. Also, it didn't matter one bit that it doesn't make sense in the context of the original film. Like the first ending, its a visual gag about man's insignificance in the universe, and the neverendingness of it all. Nothing more. Very funny IMO. :emoji_thumbsup:
Very well executed popcorn entertainment. Better than every other summer film so far.
My only criticism would be that it felt poorly edited at times. Some of the best gags came and went in a flash, and a lot of people missing them completely. Making the film a few minutes longer would've given some of the jokes more room to breathe but would still have retained the very brisk pace of the story.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
IMO, Men In Black 2 is an ok movie. Men In Black is much better than MIB 2. The jokes in MIB2, IMO, weren't that funny. It was great to see Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Frank the Pug, the worm guys, etc back together. The villian in MIB2 named Serleena was ok but the best villian has got to be Edgar from Men In Black. I might buy Men In Black 2 once it makes it onto DVD.

I saw Men In Black 2 on a double feature (Men In Black 2 followed by Mr. Deeds for $6 at Becky's drive-in located in Berlinsville, PA. I went with my father & stepmother to see these 2 movies on July 6, 2002)

The Chubb-Chubbs short that played before the movie was an excellent short (very funny short)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks