What's new

*** Official MACHETTE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Maybe this won't win the weekend. Machette isn't the best film I've seen this year. It's not in the top five. But what it was was fun.

Machette is an old school, completely over the top exploitation film that rotates between gasps and laughs.

This film isn't for the squeamish, and there is definitely a good deal of nudity/violence. There is a TON of nudity, and tons of Linday Lohan nudity for fans (though I think in the 3 some that was a body double). But it is so camp, so wrong, so over the top that it reminds me of everything this film is supposed to be.

Jessica Alba turns in a zany great performance that I haven't seen from her in.. well, I'm not sure when, maybe Sin City.

The first few minutes setup what is to come: a wild firefight. Flame throwers. Naked women. Camp humor.

An absolute blast.

**** / *****

(4/5)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Got a kick out of it! Made me hungry too - I had to hit up the local taco stand (NOT Taco Bell!) on the way home...

PatH

Second Unit
Most fun I've had at the movies since Inglourious Basterds. And Steven Seagall's best movie since Executive Decision.

PatH

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
This movie comes with tongue planted firmly in cheek - The dialog was pretty hilarious and the final confrontation between Machete and Segal was wonderfully absurd. Lots of hot chicks, including the babysitter twins as nurses, but I think Michelle Rodriguez stole the show. Robert Rodriguez has a real knack for old school exploitation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Machette". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like others, I had a blast with this film and totally enjoyed it. Also, loved Segal's performance and the over-the-top humor and violence scored a touchdown for me.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You pretty much know what you're getting yourself into when you go see a movie called "Machete" and Robert Rodriguez delivers on the machete-wielding violence from Danny Trejo's character "Machete", but seeing Robert Deniro chewing up the scenery along side Jeff Fahey and Cheech Marin and Don Johnson, and throw in some eye candy with Jessica Abla and Michele Rodriguez, you got a cult classic in the making. Now, Steven Seagal's hairpiece should have had its own billing because it was almost like another character in the movie, but I digress. Anyhow, the film owns whatever exploitation genre it's shooting for, and delivers.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B (mainly for embracing its genre roots without reservation).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
We just watched an ultra violent film called... Machete, anyone hear of this one? Mostly unknown actors, Steven Seagal, Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Lindsay Lohan, Don Johnson, Cheech Marin, Jeff Fahey and Danny Trejo as the title character. There is violence in almost every scene, Machete lops off 4 heads in one spin at one point of the film. The blood and gore is so over the top it's cartoonish and I loved every minute of it. Oh and Alba and Lohan appear completely naked in a couple of scenes. And for some of us that's reason enough to seek this film out. [/url]

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's an awesome poster. I really need to get out and see this film tomorrow. FINALLY.

i loved the movie. my only problem was the church slaughter because i'm Catholic. what i saw in that part of an otherwise great movie almost made me walk out. i would've if i didn't have to drive to another city to see it.otherwise great movie. getting it on blu-ray

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I think I would have enjoyed this movie a LOT more had my wife not been sitting next to me.
crazy.gif

I will have to sneak in the BD when it's available for a more relaxed viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks