1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

***Official LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Discussion Thread*** -- All Posts Here; NO EXCEPTIONS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ryan Peddle, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Well-Known Member

David, would it be possible to give us some screenshots for comparison? Look forward to your findings.

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Dave - YGM.

3. David Ely

David Ely Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that screenshots would cause a legal concern.

4. SarahG

SarahG Well-Known Member

My screener is all grainy....I mean you get the feel, but I am defiately looking way forward to getting the real deal in 2 weeks! Its going to be great.

Nick...can you detail a little more on the extra features....have you watched them at all?

5. David Ely

I would like to stress something that has already been mentioned. If you have a copy of The Two Towers that is 'VHS quality', grainy or of low quality in any other way, you do not have the real academy screener of the film.

6. Nick Sievers

Sarah, I don't have the official release yet. Just the Academy Screener, David is the one with the Official release.

7. David Ely

Unfortunately I didn't have quite as much time as I would have liked to sit down and compare the two disks today. I did a comparison of the opening sequence between the screener and the retail disk and can see no visible differences. I will compare more scenes later tonight when I get back from dinner.

Tomorrow, I will do a quick comparison of the DD5.1 tracks on both releases.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Well-Known Member

It seems that the retail release's soundtrack is far more bassy than the screener. Video quality looks the same, but I haven't found the time to do any real analysis. I suspect the best place to check for PQ differences is the scene of Theoden's "exorcism", which has a slight hint of grain on the screener (the real one, not a bootleg!).

For me, the soundtrack difference is very "dramatic". [​IMG]

EDIT: What that hell is an excorism anyways? Sounds painful...spelling mistake corrected!

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Well-Known Member

Brian

10. Nick Sievers

11. SvenS

SvenS Well-Known Member

The best place to check for video differences is the beginning where the camera flies over of the mountains before if goes through the mountain to the battle with Gandalf. I noticed some shimmering in this part on the screener.

And to the one who said the official screener is on DVD9... you are incorrect as I have the real deal and it is indeed a DVD5 DVD. Since it has only the film, a single audio track, a single static menu it can easily get by on a DVD5 disc.

To the one who claims VHS quality of the screener you indeed are obviously watching some sort of bootleg (busted!) because the real screener is quite good video and audio wise!

12. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Well-Known Member

Isn't a DVD 5 a single layered DVD? I thought you could only squeeze a 2hr film on to one of those and that a film as long as TTT would require a DVD9.

13. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Well-Known Member

14. rick stein

rick stein Well-Known Member

Exactly what is this screener that everyone is talking about and how did you get them?

15. David Ely

After further testing in my home theater, I am able to find difference in both audio and video between the screener and retail version of the film. In both cases, the retail version is superior.

For the video, there seems to be a better black level throughout the film on the retail release. This allows for even further detail to be seen. The retail release also seem to have a slight higher bit rate in certain sequences.

For audio, the retail release has tighter and more controlled bass. The screener tends to get a little bloated and boomy.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Well-Known Member

Screeners are usually called "Academy award screeners", which are DVDs sent to Academy Award members for their consideration. To get them you have to be a voting member of the academy, or know someone who is and borrow the disc.

They are barebones, no menus, just the movie -- often with a DD5.1 soundtrack if available. Every 10 or 15 minutes a subtitle pops up saying "For Your Consideration". The subtitle is actually part of the raw video, and cannot be removed.

17. Nick Sievers

18. David Ely

Nick,

I'm one of the people that didn't mind the 'extra' bass in the first release of FOTR. The retail release of TTT is more like the DTS version of the extended FOTR.

19. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Well-Known Member

20. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member