What's new

***Official LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Discussion Thread*** -- All Posts Here; NO EXCEPTIONS (1 Viewer)

GarySchrock

Second Unit
So, has anyone actually figured out whether the extra disc in the deluxe packaging is only about making the statue, or also about making the character of gollum in the movie? I know some of the original information available seemed to imply it was statue only, and if that's true I don't see any real reason to spring for it myself. If it's more than just the making of the statue, then I'd be more tempted to overlook the godawful statue and get that version of the set.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I distinctly remember him saying in one interview that the movie he saw in the theater was very different from the movie he thought he was making on the set, and he didn't seem very happy about it.
Malcolm is correct. Viggo has implied that in vague terms. I can't find the actual acticle online now, but this is very close to what he said:

"I was surprised at what Peter cut out in Fellowship, but was I was REALLY surprised when I saw Two Towers -- what he cut out, what he put in. I mean, there are whole sections missing. When you take this beautiful and poetic story and focus on the action, something is bound to get lost."

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
He spent 3 months filming a huge battle scene, something should have tipped him off. :)

I still think there are plenty of the quiter scenes throughout TTT, after the Uruk camp slaughter there aren't many 'action' scenes until the Wargs show up which is probably 40-50mins after. I'm sure the EE will give more of a chance to focus on the "beautiful and poetic story" as Viggo puts it.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
That's good to know that there is overlap, but I was asking if the Nat'l Geographic contained in FOTR:EE is any better than the Nat'l Geographic DVD you can buy separately. The packaging says it has 2 extra features over the regular retail verison.

I know i'm being picky but if it's not any better then I won't bother paying for it.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Bonus Gollum companion book and DVD
"Creating Gollum," a bonus 44-page companion book illustrating the evolution of the Gollum character

Exciting bonus DVD unveiling the creation of The Lord of the Rings collectibles

Straight form the new line site. it's in the mini window that talks about the Collector's Edition special pacakagin.

So from here it looks like there will be a BOOKLET on the creation of the Gollum character on film and a DVD on the creation of the collectibles. Purists like us will want all of this stuff anyway, right guys ? :)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Here is the exact wording on the extras with the gift set from
http://shop.newline.com/catalog/prod... 1=2472;pcid2=

The gift box includes the following extras: "The Evolution of Gollum" exclusive: a bonus DVD on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created, featuring interviews with Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, the cast and more! Also featured on the bonus disc, a printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to sculpted maquette to digital character. A collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta is included as well. These contents are presented to you in a handsome gift box, with packaging illustrated by famed artist, Alan Lee.
Now, Amazon (for example) has the extended cut for 35% off at $26. They have the gift set for 30% off at $56. With the extra $5 rebate that means there is still a $25 difference that you are paying for the amazingly ugly Gollum statue and the bonus DVD. At moment I think I'll just get the extended cut. It could be that Walmart or warehouse club stores will have the gift set for as low as $50, but that still feels too much for me right now. Still, maybe it will look better in person.

Neil

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Last year Best Buy had the FOTR gift set during release week for $49.99, so with the $10 coupon it was downright reasonable. I'm hoping they'll repeat that. I'm not really interested in going above that amount for the figurine, though the other extras sound interesting at least.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I don't like the Gollum statue as much as I liked last year's Argonath, but it's still neat enough I think to merit the upgrade when combined with the extra booklet and DVD. As for the difference between unpainted Argonath and painted Gollum, the Argonath weren't painted in the movie either, while Gollum is in full color. That's what I assumed at least. Barad Dur and Orthanc would have been cool, but repetitive with a lot of overlap with last year.

When this was originally announced, BTW, there were rumors of a Gollum statue included with a substantial discount on a companion Sméagol statue, anyone heard any more on this?

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
So what I'm wondering then is this:

I have an Aiwa dvd player - no problem playing through the speech from Galdalf thorugh the hobbits in the woods.

But, as its seemingly infecting specific players... so I call the number and maybe get a replacement disk anyway... in case in the future I end up with a player type (say Sony) that does have an issue...

Or can I get an exchange in the future as well.... (not likely as the manufacturer will claim age/scratches, etc.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My parent's DVD player (Sony DvP-s560d) has problems with this disc, but It's fine in my PC and on my Xbox.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Well, I finally got through with watching TTT this past Saturday, and I have to admit I saw no glitch problems at Chapter 51 on my Sony player (a DVP-S350). However, when the layer change occurred, it was right at the 1:30:00 (approx.) mark once Aragorn and the beast had disappeared over the hill. The screen froze for the layer change, before going to the next shot of Gimli on screen. Really dumb layer change - shame on New Line for that.

Now, this is going to sound like a silly question to ask, but I've seen photos referring to Aragorn as "Strider". Why is that?

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

You obviously have not read the books, right. Or don't remember the one scene from Fellowship where its said. Recall from Fellowship where the hobbits get to the inn in Bree and ask the barkeep about the strange fellow sitting in the dark corner watching them, after they found out Gandalf was not there... he mentions that the fellow is known as 'Strider' - that was Aragorn's 'identity' as the ranger, so to speak. ;-)

Time to read the books. The films just cannot possibly contain all of the information in the books. ;-)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Ahhhhh, that clears up the mystery then. There's people who have read the books first then seen the movies, then there's people who have seen the movies first who are going back to re-read the books. Mesa falls into latter category. ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Although the disc plays fine on my Sony, it freezes up repeatedly on my Malata N996....which generally handles problem discs with ease. Oh well. I guess that's why i have multiple players.

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
This is what we get when we let a standard be designed 'by commitee'.:angry:

The DVD software standard is so vague, it allows the hardware manufacturers and software developers (disc makers) enough wiggle-room that we end up with this muck - discs contain software that does not play on some players - yet they ALL sport the official DVD logo, right?

I have similar fun with my Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (for the stupid americans who would be scared off by such a complex name as Philosopher's Stone)... playing the features it hard locks up EVERY TIME in 'Olivanders Wand Shop' as one tries to navigate to the 'deleted scenes' on the disc through a series of puzzels. Requires me to power off the player and restart it to get it out of its stuck mode.:angry:

I seriously hope that when they folks come to some agreement on HD carrier format on DVD in whatever form it will be, they will nail the software specs down as tight as they can get them with exactly what each instruction can be and what MUST result from executing it and what the instructions are and are not, etc. But I'm sure they will FUBAR that up as well.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You obviously have not read the books, right. Or don't remember the one scene from Fellowship where its said.
Actually, Bill and Thomas, they call him Strider SEVERAL times in the first movie. In fact, that's all Sam ever calls him.

At the Prancing Pony:

Butterbur: Around here, he's known as Strider.
Frodo: (repeating) Strider.

Aragorn leading them into the woods:

Merry: How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf's?

During the Nazgul attack on Amon Sul:

Sam: Strider! Help him, Strider!

At the entrace to Moria, when Frodo is grabbed by the Octopus-like creature:

Boromir: Now get out of here. Get out!
Sam: Strider!

And the last scene of the film:

Frodo: Mordor. I hope the others find a safer route.
Sam: Strider will look after them.

How does that song from The Wizard of Oz go?

"Wake up, you sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed" :D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Brian beat me to it. Yep, he is called Strider several times in the first film. No book reading necessary. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks