What's new

Official Lion OS X Discussion and Troubleshooting Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm having Firefox problems again. Embedded video is not working in Firefox. It is working in Safari. I think it has something to do with the QuickTime plugin...I've noticed Firefox complaining about QuickTIme plugins here at HTF, and YouTube is not working under Firefox. Bother.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Also, when you enable swipe left / right by 3 fingers, you no longer have the pages sliding left/right in Safari. That only happens when you have swipe left/right enabled for 2 fingers. Very strange.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've encountered a major bug in the nVidia driver for Lion and Macbook Pro 2010 models. There's a fast growing thread in the Apple support forums for it as well. Currently it seems to be limited to 2010 Macbook Pro models (many have i7 and SSD - I only have i7 with a traditional HD). And in all the kernel panics there is a traceback to nVidia drivers. What's alarming is that unlike traditional kernel panics, where your screen goes grey and you get the kernel panic wording, this bug just shuts off your monitor (and presumably your laptop as well, as hitting caps lock doesn't light up the green button). Users then have to press the power button for several seconds, then again to reboot. And no, resume doesn't work perfectly, I lost a Word doc I was working on. It happened three times yesterday and once this morning. I've gone ahead and installed gfxCardStatus which allows me to force my MBP to use the Intel integrated graphics. I'm hoping Apple gets on this ASAP. It's a totally sporadic, random problem. What pisses me off is that some of the feedback in that thread says that the dev builds were also doing this, so Apple didn't do its due diligence to ensure this was fixed! :f

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any reviews, or experiences, commenting on performance on older machines? I want to make sure upgrading my 2007 MBP won't be like putting iOS4 on an iPhone 3G.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok, brief rundown now that I've had numerous clients update:

The Good:

It is polished, looks and runs slick, some functions perform very well. Snappy - on new macs (ie, those issues this year) really great. Looks great on my wife's.

The bad:

From clients I've discovered these problems:

There is now no way in hell to make TimeMachine back up to a NAS that I've found. This became a minor heart attack for a client with 8 PowerMacs. Still working up a good solution on this.

On a Core2Duo Powerbook, battery life suddenly went about 60% of what they were getting before. We're not sure of what's causing that. It may be a zombie service or something, still a work in progress.

I have never played with Spaces, but I guess it's been removed. Some grousing about that.

iSCSI targetting is not right. Still sorting that out.

I think personally my experience has been very good. Very positive. The issues clients have aren't out of the ordinary or real deal breakers for anyone, they are the kind of thing that does happen in an upgrade from OS to OS.. and they'll get sorted out. The loss of TimeMachine to a NAS sucks bad, but I'm sure someone will figure out a way around it soon enough.

I will say: the download to install thing SUCKS. I have several clients who have as a maximum download 768k d/l DSL Modem service. It's not that it's all they want to pay, it's that's all that is in their area. They can't get faster service if they wanted to. With an estimated download time of almost 2 days, they'll just wait for discs.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well my expeience has been a disaster. Frankly I'm upset enough I wish I just had replace my wife's computer with a windows laptop instead. I have loved my MacBook but this upgrade is crap. It took downloading it 4 times before I got a valid copy. Then during the install it encountered an error and left my MacBook non-functional. Finally I figured out how to restore from a backup and I'm hoping it is fuctioning when I get home. Think I'm done with Lion. I really wanted to play with the new features but this whole process has made me bitter. Maybe because I have only been a Mac guy for a few months. I never had issues like this with windows upgrades but I know the tricks there. :)

Kurt Lang

Auditioning
Originally Posted by mattCR

There is now no way in hell to make TimeMachine back up to a NAS that I've found. This became a minor heart attack for a client with 8 PowerMacs. Still working up a good solution on this.

You will need a firmware update from the NAS vendor. I ran into this with my NetGear ReadyNAS. Fortunately in my case NetGear had released a firmware update on the 20th. After that Time Machine is working again.

That has been my only issue so far on a 2nd generation MacBook Air but I'm not done testing yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dmiller, sorry to hear about your problems. This doesn't help you, but your experience isn't typical. I've done the last two OS X upgrades 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6 without problems. And the overall comments online seem to be positive about the Lion upgrade. But there's always situations that don't go well; I'm sure you're not alone in having disastrous outcome. And because of that, I'm waiting a bit this time. And rumor is 10.7.1 will be out soon, since 10.7.2 is already in beta. And your problems and recovery is a reminder (for any upgrader) to never do a system upgrade without a complete and updated backup offline. I hope you can sort out your upgrade problems.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ah, I will mention that. Never used spaces, so didn't come up for me at all. As to the NAS bit.. well... for those of us running a Linux based NAS (like FreeNas) or WHS (Windows Home Server) a "firmware update" isn't in the offing anywhere.

Originally Posted by Kurt Lang

You will need a firmware update from the NAS vendor. I ran into this with my NetGear ReadyNAS. Fortunately in my case NetGear had released a firmware update on the 20th. After that Time Machine is working again.

That has been my only issue so far on a 2nd generation MacBook Air but I'm not done testing yet.

Kurt Lang

Auditioning
Originally Posted by mattCR

Ah, I will mention that. Never used spaces, so didn't come up for me at all. As to the NAS bit.. well... for those of us running a Linux based NAS (like FreeNas) or WHS (Windows Home Server) a "firmware update" isn't in the offing anywhere.

Good luck, I do not see any quick resolution for you and the many others having a problem with this. The issue was identified months ago, it's a shame it has not been addressed.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm not quite sure what the fix is here but ever since I updated to Lion, I can't play a single video. No youtube, no MLB, nothing. Videos work perfectly fine in Chrome. I checked my security settings in preferences and everything is checked to enable plug-ins and such. Any suggestions?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Flash and Firefox do not work for me. Videos fail in YouTube. Flash ads on this site and Amazon fail. Flash works fine in Safari, though.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Be smart: clean install Lion and NEVER install flash. If you really really need flash for something, open that page in Chrome. problem solved. Also, the problem you are reporting is likely because you don't even have Flash installed on upgrade =)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Be smart: ...

You left out the core "be smart" principle: wait until 10.7.3 before upgrading (and let the early adopters suffer the pains of release bugs) ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Slick: http://mactips.info/2011/08/how-to-put-a-message-on-the-lion-login-screen?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactips%2FPETA+%28Mac+Tips%29 Also 10.7.1 is on the MAS if you've been waiting for that.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just as a warning for those of us who own 2010 MBPs, 10.7.1 doesn't fix the Black Screen of Death problem for those of us who are affected (seems to be related to the nVidia driver and/or the dynamic graphics switching function). I'm hopeful 10.7.2 will address it. The only workaround that seems to work (there's a thread on Apple Support filled with other recommendations, but this one seems to work for most) is to use gfxcardstatus and to lock your MBP to the Integrated Graphics option. Yes this essentially changes it to a Macbook, but I can't put a price tag on stability and I don't want to bother rolling back to Snow Leopard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks