What's new

*** Official INSIDE MAN Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I am a little lukewarm on this film, perhaps a little slow in spots (mainly the middle section of the film), and character motivations seemed light and hazy. It features a bank heist with hostages, and NYPD's finest trying to resolve the situation without loss of life and minimizing the theft amounts. Director Spike Lee gets off a few "judging the book by the cover" rants through a few of the characters that didn't quite add much to the film, and the energy level just seemed to simmer along, idling here and there and retained a steady restraint in tone. I didn't leave the theater with that really good buzz that a well put together heist film gives me.

Denzel Washington was somewhat entertaining as a beleaguered detective with a dark cloud of corruption hanging over him, and thrusted into this negotiation scernario because the primary was on vacation. Jodie Foster's character didn't do much for me, and she sort of just showed up, said her lines, and moved on. But Clive Owens seemed to have a little better time with the role.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I give it a slightly better grade. I think this is a highly underrated film. I was totally shocked to see that Spike Lee directed it. He added a few of his rants but they were reasonable IMHO.

I give it a solid 9 out of 10. One of the very best "heist" films I've seen. Most of them are corny or lack the substance this had.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I agree with Shane.

I just got back and thoroughly enjoyed the film. Clive and Denzel were both excellent.
As Patrick noted, the character motivations are unclear at times, but the movie worked for me.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Inside Man". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'd give it a B. Well acted, well directed, pretty well written. It just doesn't have a cinematic or emotional punch. The "secret" is barely a secret at all, and is not something new. And, it sort of ends...with a thud.

Still, semi-enjoyable.a

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I'd give it somewhere between a B+ and A-.

There's so much style and energy at work here that I enjoyed every minute of the film. Washington is as charismatic as ever as Detective Frazier, particularly when he's engaging Foster, Plummer or Owen.

Lee is clearly having fun here; yes there doesn't seem to be much tenson involved, but seeing all the different personalities the actors vividly bring to life interacting with each other easily makes this one of the best mainstream releases of 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks