What's new

Inglourious Basterds (2009) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I saw this for the second time this morning. I liked the movie more on the second viewing and had fun re-watching the story unfold.

I'd had the script since it leaked, but resisted the temptation to read it until I'd seen the movie. I was surprised to see how similar the final movie is since some reviews & news items mentioned how much was cut/changed. We lose a handful of scenes and a few lines here and there, but nothing too significant. Many scenes play out nearly word for word as scripted (though I imagine much of the movie being subtitled helps).

As far as how it ranks with Tarantino's other films, I consider Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill to all be excellent movies of about equal quality. I didn't like this movie as much as those three, but that doesn't mean it isn't great.

I think what I admired the most about the movie was the performances. Brad Pitt didn't necessarily impress, but he did a good job and the audience ate up his performance in both screenings. The more impressive performers were the movie's international cast - namely Christoph Waltz, Melanie Laurent, Daniel Bruhl, Michael Fassbender, and August Diehl. Many of these actors are able to shine with very few scenes. On my first viewing and prior to reading the script, I was surprised by how quirky and how much of a dandy the Landa character was, but Waltz expertly played scenes of absurd humor without losing any of his menace. Both Bruhl and Diehl bring a lot of humanity to their characters despite playing Nazis.

Unfortunately, I felt the Shosanna character wasn't very well developed. We basically learn enough about her just to care for the character, but not much by any means. Actually, I think this is true for many of the movie's characters. We don't learn much about them nor do they have much to do, but for the most part the actors shine and do a great job with the little they're given.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

For the record, I didn't care for KILL BILL VOL 1 either but loved the second one. Even sitting back and looking at my own thoughts, it's rather strange that I would love and defend DEATH PROOF, his most hated film, and yet sit here and think he missed the boat so badly here.
I'm surprised that you dug Kill Bill Volume Two (what I would argue is people's second most hated QT movie) and Death Proof but didn't get into this one. Maybe if you give it another shot when it hits video, you'll like it more.

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

I was prepared to go back today but last night I watched Tarantino on Charlie Rose and I've decided to put off the second viewing for now... However, to back up my original thoughts of the lazy writing, on Rose last night Tarantino was talking... According to Tarantino... As I was watching the interview...
As much as I like most of Quentin's output, I can't stand listening to him talking about his own work anymore. As much as I enjoyed IB, I think a single interview from him could ruin it for me. I guess I used to enjoy his enthusiasm, but for chris'sake have a bit of modesty.

GVF25

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent
I saw it here in Melbourne last night didn't start until 11:30pm and it was almost full, when it was over the audience applauded, so I guess they enjoyed it. I was surprised by how measured this film is, the trailer makes it look like a completely different film, all action and violence and over the top. QT did a great job, as soon as I saw the old universal logo and the opening credits I knew I was going to like it, and the cinematography was perfect.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"However, to back up my original thoughts of the lazy writing, on Rose last night Tarantino was talking that his script was done but he put it to the side and instead started writing KILL BILL."

I remember reading a interview with QT WAY back in the late 90s when he said that he had to put Basterds aside unfinished, because the script had gotten so long and he simply couldnt stop writing it. I think he even said the script might end up being unfilmable the way it was because at the time there wasnt a ending and he felt it was so long.

Which is funny, because thats what happened with Kill Bill - it ended up having to be split into 2 parts.

And boy am I glad it wasn't repeated; I think both Kill Bill and Grindhouse were way too long. Grindhouse had no chance as a 5-hour double-feature. Did you hear that many people left cinemas after Planet Terror, with no clue that it was a double feature, and that fueled the decision to split it up? Luckily, Planet Terror is an incredible movie, and Kill Bill is quite a remarkable movie too; I just think Bill could have been a lot shorter.

Also have to agree with the point about restraint; I was surprised it was such a feature of the film, given the title, the expectations set for some by the source it was inspired by; and of course the trailer. Still, when I saw that trailer, there were few laugh-out-loud moments, so I knew only that I didn't know what to expect. I only hope that now I do know what to expect, I am as impressed a second time on blu ray!

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I screened this yesterday along with our 18 year old daughter and her 19 year old friend (male).

My wife and I LOVED it, thought it brilliant, the kids were bored by it, quite simply lol.

I think this movie shot right into my top 15 or so...it's amazing. I loved every moment of every scene, and Waltz was as impossible to take your eyes off of as Heath was in TDK. Heath was scarier, but not by much...and both Heath in TDK and Waltz in IB were 100% unpredictable and mesmerizing.

The theater scenes I will NEVER forget, OMG!

Pitt actually added some great levity to the film with his dialog and smirky presence, but also delivered some gravity at the same time with his cruelty/revenge. Very cool. Great performances by everyone, all around.

My wife was distracted by the Mike Myers cameo; she said she kept waiting for him to deliver a punchline. lol. I thought he was fine.

I think this film is being mis-marketed, as others have pointed out here, and this could be it's box--office demise. It's a turnoff for many of those expecting an action-packed Nazi killfest.

I went in expecting what I got; dialog-based QT movie with some noir and brilliant scenes, buildups and sudden punctuations of violence, and this movie had briliant (IMO) payoffs. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I still rank Pulp above it, but IB is right up there!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Based on the BO returns, I think it has been marketed perfectly. Much bigger than expected. Might it drop off a bit due to the divergent marketing? Maybe a little, but it was worth it for the opening weekend returns.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy if it's doing well out of it's first weekend. I'm doing my part to spread the word to my friends that I loved it and why. But word of mouth seems pretty split, so I don't know what to expect for the BO returns this weekend.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I was one of those people expecting a "Where Eagles Dare" or Dirty Dozen kind of movie but I enjoyed the film anyway. I think I'll end up appreciating it more with repeat home viewings. What was Rod Taylor doing in this movie besides observing two people have a conversation in the background? And Mike Myers? I think these kinds of casting decisions are a little bizarre and they certainly distract from the viewing experience; for me, anyway. I guess my favorite WWII movie is still and will remain Von Ryan's Express for sheer entertainment.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
I think another aspect that would throw people off is that the movie almost seems about 50% basterds, 50% Emmanuelle's character's situation, and they might go in expecting 100% basterds.

I loved how the film played out, just sayin'.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Luisito34

What was Rod Taylor doing in this movie besides observing two people have a conversation in the background? And Mike Myers? I think these kinds of casting decisions are a little bizarre and they certainly distract from the viewing experience; for me, anyway.
I didn't really mind Myers. As for Taylor, I'd heard it'd practically be a cameo anyway. I don't know if it's clear in the movie, but he's playing Winston Churchill. In the script, his presence is commented upon a little more. Since he's never introduced or mentioned by the General character, Hicox realizes that he's not there officially.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the opening scene with Landa and the French character was mind blowing in the way it was set up.

By switching the French and English languages, you were not sure where the story was going. Needless to say, Landa is a scene stealer in every scene he appears.

There were so many references to other movies, that a second viewing would make it more clear.

I also saw the original IB with the EC & QT interview, where QT did most of the talking. EC never stood a chance

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
This has become my favorite movie of the summer. It's one of those movies you think about for days after you leave the cinema. I hope Waltz gets an Oscar nod for his performance as Hans Landa.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
So here's a question for you: Is QT comparing audience members who enjoy watching Nazis being scalped and branded to the Nazis in Inglourious Basterds who cheer the film of Zoller blowing away Allied soldiers?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

So here's a question for you: Is QT comparing audience members who enjoy watching Nazis being scalped and branded to the Nazis in Inglourious Basterds who cheer the film of Zoller blowing away Allied soldiers?
I don't think so. Tarantino loves movies. He just used the medium of film into an awesome revenge scenario.

By the way, for some reason The theater in flames reminded me of Depalma's "Carrie" an awful lot. But I guess that's a good thing.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with you, Bryan, knowing QT's love for movie violence. I just think it's something that film theorists are going to be pick at for years to come. If he was making that comparison, then Shosanna's revenge would be hollow, and I don't get that feeling from the film at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

Personally, I saw it played more for irony than anything else. The crowd is laughing and having a good time and at the same time, their demise is being orchestrated. I definitely don't think that Tarantino is saying "Look in my mirror, society. You're as ugly as these people!"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
...And people thought Half Blood Prince was boring??

Talk about wasted potential. A overlong borefest.

So anyways I am about 8 beers into an 18 pack and I throw in this movie,,,,wtf...I dont want to read a movie....I want to watch and listen and understand...ok i get it.....the jews are killing nazis......Really its just the Dirty Dozen, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill,and some cheap 70s shit thrown in a blender....out comes this.....I only watched 30 minutes of it and said fuck this.......anyways...I may watch it later

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks