What's new

OFFICIAL HTF REVIEW: MITSUBISHI HD1000 PROJECTOR (1 Viewer)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
You guys are definitely on the right track. The Mitsubishi is such an incredible value, it makes a lot of sense to purchase one as a stop-gap between now and the time when you eventually upgrade to 1080p.

unpilot

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Hi All!

Just pulled the trigger on the Mitsubishi HD1000U and should get it tomorrow. Couple of questions for those that have it.

First I had a Toshiba TDP S25 that I used for watching DVD's. It was rated at 1800 lumens and was not really able to overcome the ambient light in my living room. From what I have read the Mits should do better. I have what I would call a large amount of ambient light . I know that that is subjective but how does the mits do cutting Thru "more that normal" ambient light.

Second for those that do not ceiling mount this unit does the digital keystone correction make a noticeable difference? Again I am aware these are subjective questions but what do you who have this unit think?

Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I love my HD1000 by the way. It's hard to say about the lighting question, but the HD1000 has only 1500 lumens, and the one you have is 1800 lumens. You'll be disappointed with ANY projector if you have too much ambient light. Where is all the light coming from? The first thing you need to do is reduce the light if possible(drapes, blinds, etc.). If you can't eliminate most of the light, you need to use a gray screen. Keystone correction has NO EFFECT ON IMAGE QUALITY with my HD1000. I use 4 clicks due to a low ceiling, and the projector being angled up.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Not sure why this is but I'm getting WAAAAAAAAAAY better results with HD content via the HD XA-1 than with standard dvds. :confused:... Not horrible mind you but just kind of soft and fuzzy.

The XA-1 is also a great upconverter too? Truthfully, though I think the 480p setting for sd dvd looks better. I need to spend more time tweaking though....

So far so good! :cool:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Give it a little time and let the bulb burn in a few hours. I didn't really notice much of a difference at first either but after watching 30+ hours of HD content going back to SD there is now a very perceptible difference.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Tim, I also notice a difference in quality with HD and SD, especially after looking at a lot of high def content. I looked at parts of NARNIA last weekend, and felt that the standard DVD looked pretty lackluster. On the other hand, other films(especially older B&W ones) shine on the HD1000 on regular DVD.

Scott98

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I was getting ready to hit the buy button on the panasonic AX-100U till I came across this thread and doing some reserch on it seems like the mitsubishi has better flesh tones then the Panasonic from what Ive seen on the reviews.. So I think im going to save about $500 and go with the mitsu.

Now my question is how did you guys mount it? from what ive read there is not much correction for Up and Down so you kinda have to ceiling mount it instead of shelf mounting.. wich is fine for me I think?

How should I mount this in my room?

Its 19x14 and it has 8.3 foot ceiling veiwing will be around 16 foot and I would like to project a 108" screen.

Oh and anyone know of a decent cost efective ceiling mount for this projector?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I currently have mine on a small table that sits just behind my two chairs. It's not the optimal situation but I've yet to find time to ceiling mount the unit.

For the best mounting I would suggest downloading and plugging in all your rooms characteristics into the Mits HD1000U calculator. It's a pretty nice tool and comes with lots of options to determine how best to mount the system in the room.

As for the mount... I have been eying one from Projector-Gear since they are so inexpensive but I really can't comment on their quality as I have not yet purchased anything.

Scott98

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Hmmm.... I tried that calculator and it may not work the way I want it too... that thing shoots way off center, for a short ceiling your kinda screwed unless you ceiling mount it and point the unit up.. then I guess use the keystone corrections..

Dose Keystone correction degrade image quality?

And I would have to use the zoom lens do to the projector all the way in the back of the room. When using the zoom lens dose that cut down on the Lumen output?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Scott98, using keystone DOES NOT degrade image quality. My ceiling is only 6'8" tall, and I use 4 clicks of keystone. You will have no problem ceiling mounting the HD1000 with your 8.3' ceiling. The farther back you have projector, the less light it puts out. But the HD1000 is a very bright projector, so I wouldn't worry about it. What will your throw distance be?

Scott98

Agent
Real Name
Scott

Thanks Jim, that makes me feel better. Throw distance can be anywhere between 15-17 ft. looking to shoot a 100-108" screen preferably 108" if you think lumen output would be ok.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The smallest image size you can get from a 15' throw is 104" diagonal. You will be fine with a 106" diagonal, unless you have a lot of light in the room. My screen is 106" diagonal, I use low power mode, and my room is a dark cave.

terence

Supporting Actor
I will have my HD1000 tomorrow it will be replacing my first pj tomorrow 4805. Eveyone who has upgraded from the 4805 to the Mits say i will be impressed, i also just p/u a PS3 for BD playback. So i'm really looking forward to hooking this baby up.

terence

Supporting Actor
Ok got the HD1000 on Thursday and installed it around 11:30 pm, here is what i think of the it vs. the 4805.

First off the the HD1000 is much brighter, (even in low lamp mode) with a bit better contrast alot sharper with excellent detail. The added resolution made a big difference with HD content, it gave it the pic more pop! Also the balck levels were dead on and match the Carada High Contrast Grey screen perfectly. I was concerned that the HCG would not be a good match but now i feel they work well together. The color accuracy was a tad off out the box but a easy fix, the 4805 color accuracy was dead on out of the box. If i'm guessiing correctly i would say the i gained about 35-45% better PQ over the 4805, and for the price i paid it was worth every penny.

One thing i found out was when running the PS3 via HDMI to the HD1000U it ouputs 1080p then the Mits down converts it to 720p. Based on the specs there is no mention that the HD1000U could accept a 1080p signal, so i was suprised. The PS3 games look great and Blu-ray looks really sweet! SD dvd being upconverted (1080p) looked HD like, i did not have time to see what my 480p dvd player looks like yet on it but the PS3 dose such a great job i might just retire it. I did calibrate the Mits using DVE and that really made a difference once i went back over some recorded HD and other source material.

I'm seeing a little green push with the yellow colors, anybody else see this?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I have green push with certain DVD's. For the most part, I'm very happy with the "Warm" preset. My only complaint with my HD1000 is the lack of tint control.

KaushikC

Grip

Hi Ben:

I am also looking for my first projector. I was all set to get the Epson 810, but one of the local HT installers mentioned that epson has reliability issuea and so recommended Mits HC3000. I was wondering why he did not recommend Mits HD1000. Which is better between these 2 Mits DLP projector ?

Thanks for your help.
Kaushik

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The 3000 is better if you have a dark room, but it is not as bright as the 1000. The 3000 has darker black levels because it does not have the white segment in the color wheel. I love my HD1000 and highly recommend it. When I bought the 1000, the 3000 was about $500 more, and it wasn't worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks