What's new

Official HTF HD Review: King Kong (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_76361.jpg">

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Great review. Glad to hear that the sound and video are top notch. I played the King Kong video game on the Xbox 360 and it seems to follow the story line of the movie quite well. I paid $199.99 for my copy and it came bundled with some xbox 360 add on.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just got mine today only $20, thanks buy.com and google checkout.

probably sample it tommorrow.

i agrree on the u-control but there should be an option to view that stuff
seperately.

same problem with the Infinifilm from new line

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
assuming you haven't gotten this yet with your 360 add on or from Amazon, DDD has this for $21.40 (with the 20% off code). I have this on the shelf now and I want to check it out, but I'm concerned about upgrading to 2.0 (I also have the FW disc). I'm reading that people are having playback issues now with 2.0 including skipping and such- is this actually common?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Any word on a HD DVD extended version of this?

:eek:Editted to correct my initial blunder. I only want to buy this once and would prefer to pick up the EE in HD DVD if it is going to be released.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am just about King Konged out. Friday evening, on a flight fro Pittsburgh to Phoenix, I had the opportunity to watch the newly released extended edition of King Kong, all 3 hours and 21 min., and I must admit, the added scenes were entertaining. Saturday, I had the opportunity of watching the HD version, and I must agree, the image was stunning, the detail was perfect. How can one possibly ask for more?

As my sub went on the blitz last week, and have not had the chance to replace it yet, I will reserve judgment on the sound. Even without the sub, the sound was very engaging. Just wish it were TrueHD.

Oh well, given my druthers, I will go with the exceptional picture every time.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Looking forward to this for the excellent video presentation of a fun movie.

I remember back in April when the "rumor" was that King Kong was coming in May. Ha! Yeah, right. Well, they were only six months off. ;)

It is unfortunate that the extras on this release are locked into the crappy U-control "feature". Sounds like we have less control over what we see, not more. I hope Universal gets some loud and clear feedback about this crap and does it better in the future.

However, I'm typically only interested in the film so this isn't too much of a big deal for me (except that I have to upgrade to firmware 2.0 for this disc to play and I have to wait for Toshiba to get it to me).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
While I really want Kong HD, I'm holding out for the EE. It's out on SD-DVD so it's only a matter of time before we see it on HD-DVD and hopefully it'll get a TrueHD track.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I arrived home to see a dead donkey on my doorstep, having finally successfully delivered my copy of Kong HD across burning deserts and tall peaks from the land of amazon.com.

And wow, what a picture! So much detail in every frame.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I finally got to watch this tonight after receiving it as a birthday gift last week, and all I can say is "wow."

I've seen some good HD-DVDs, but this blows them all away picture wise. Just an incredible presentation all the way around. It helps that the film is worth watching, too, of course. I was surprised by how fast the film moved during this viewing (it was my first since seeing it in theaters last year), but that's for another discussion not dedicated to gushing over this disc's quality. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Looks as though King Kong is at the top or right there among the best HD-DVDs released so far in terms of Image/Sound. :cool:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I am just about King Konged out."

Yea I wasnt sure I needed to get this having seen the SD and watch it a few times on cable. But I got V For Vendetta for xmas from someone which I already had. So I went to BB and traded it for King Kong.

And Im glad I did - this disc is fantastic! Look at all the misquitos!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks