What's new

Official HTF HD Quick Look: Pitch Black (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
72665.jpg">

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think future SE's will have either DTS-HD master or TrueHD =). holding out.

Phil Menard

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

"...what is meant by "Screen format: Widescreen 1080p/480i/480p""

PITCH BLACK is not a hybrid dvd. All this means is that some special features maybe/are in 480i/480p.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My understanding is that there is both a 1080p HD video track and a 480i/p video track and not a simple conversion by the player. If that is incorrect then their packaging is very confusing. Will look for more info.

Sam

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

No. You must have read the info on the back incorrectly.

Look at the chart on the back. The Main feature's video is "1080p High-Definition Widescreen 2.40:1". The Special features are "480i/p Standard Definition".

A 480i/p version of the movie is NOT a "special feature". That would make zero sense (negative sense actually), unless the disc was a hybrid HD DVD/DVD disc. It is the special features that are 480i/p.

I can see how the layout of this info could be initially confusing if you just quickly glance at it. But if you look at how they are trying to lay out the info, it all makes logical sense.

Look at "main feature" and read down. The video is 1080, the audio is DD+, the subtitles are english, spanish, and french. Then look at "special features" and read down. The video is 480, the audio is DD 2.0, and there are no subtitles.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It's confused everyone. Even Bill at the digitalbits was confused about the 1080/480 "special feature" labeling on the packaging. Sean is correct.

Sam, great review. BTW, what resolution display do you have? (720 or 1080) Also wondering... did you notice any instances of edge-ringing? I haven't seen this yet on HD DVD (it's on my list) but a friend with the title told me he noticed what looked like some minor edge-enhancement to his eyes. I'm wondering if you saw anything like that in any scenes?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have a 720P Panasonic AE900U, and I have the HDA1 outputting 1080i and letting the projector do the scaling, which most people seem to think looks the best and I tend to agree.

I have not seen any edge enhancement on this disk at all. What scenes was he specifically thinking of, I can pull it up and look.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks