What's new

Official HTF HD-DVD review: What Dreams May Come (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_86098.jpg">

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Sam for the review.

Missed this film in the theater and didn't pick up the first DVD when it was released in 1999. Shortly before the 2005 "Special Edition" release, I caught excerpts of the movie on television, developed an interest and bought the 2005 disc.
For my own satisfaction, and possibly the intent the director had, I've always felt that this movie needed to be viewed on a LARGE movie-theater screen. Even the upconversion of the DVD on a 110" screen didn't quite produce the emotion that I believe was intended. Hopefully, the HD DVD will finally be able to resolve and deliver the goods.:) Expecting the HD DVD delivery today.

Paul

Andy_MT

Second Unit

have to call you on that one. there was ee. definitely. for the most part it was not evident (or not too distracting), but a few select scenes is was extremely there - one in particular (and don't want to give too much away) - in a wide shot where robin williams character is standing next to his wife by a tombstone - that's just crazy, they both look like they're surrounded by force fields. who worked on this transfer i'd like to know ? it's even more of a shame because most of the film looks pretty nice.

this kind of reminds me of meet joe black. overall nice, but spolied by ee in places.

and i'd wish they'd take off that silly "look and sound of perfect" tag line. they're taking the piss. how many of their HD-DVD's are perfect ? not many by my count. and some are even very bad.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
After watching the movie, using a 1080P Ruby FP and projecting on a 110" screen, I have to say I was disappointed.

Wish I viewed the movie theatrically for a comparison, because many scenes have the quality of the 2005 released DVD. There were exceptions where a few scenes looked restored, having full 1080P resolution, but overall, IMHO it looked as bad as the first released "5th Element" Blu-ray disc.:frowning:

Paul

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Andy, give me a time to check and I will pull that scene up, and even take a digital picture if it warrants it. I'm not sayin its not there, just that I never noted it and I am increasingly aware of it since becoming a reviewer.

Paul, what specific qualities did you feel were lacking? As I noted some scenes are drop dead gorgeous and others are lacking, particularly facial close ups.

Sam

Andy_MT

Second Unit
thanks Sam. i think the reviewer on dvdtalk also picked up on the edge enhancement. what a shocker - ee on a universal catalog title - seriously, who are these people that sharpen up 1080 video ? i really want to know what goes on inside their head. they are quite weird.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wasnt the 2005 sd dvd just a repack of the old dvd.

that dvd also had a ton of EE.

i just got the HD DVD today froma amazon.
(amazon prime is unnecasary)
this is one of my 5 favorite films.

i dont see it as depressing at all.
it is sad due to what happens to ALL the characters but it didnt make me feel bad or cause me to have a sense of depression.

i thought it was a very EMOTIONAL film.

the end really brings everything together perfectly.
i always thought that this film was mis understood by most, and is also a
bit of a forgotten film.

oddly it has also been forgotten by me.
even though this has been one of my 5 favorite movies since the first
time i saw it, i have neglected to include it on my "list" of favorite movies.

i just looked at it and What Dreams is not there.
Off to adjust that oversight.

i honestly think this film is brilliant and wish more films like this could be
created.

too much of a need for everything to be happy in the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks