What's new

*** Official 'GHOSTS OF MARS' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Wes Ray, while I definitely feel Blade is a much superior movie to Vampires I will agree that Thomas Ian Griffith was a much more intimidating vampire than Stephen Dorff.
I wish Griffith would have played Deacon Frost(while wearing his Valek make-up) instead of Dorff. He would have been a much more worthy opponet for Wesley Snipes. Plus Griffith also knows martial arts, so I could just imagine the possibilites.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Reading here that an Eminem song is used in the trailer is not encouraging. But, who knows.
Since we're talking about Mr. Carpenter's films as whole in this thread, I may as well throw this in: Believe it or not, my favorite Carpenter film is They Live. It actually works as science fiction--and the DVD transfer isn't bad at all (quite good, in fact). The problem with the DVD is that it is so lacking in extras that there's not even a main menu; load the disc and it defaults to chapter selection--and that's it.
Now, back to Ghosts of Mars: Scientifically, the film already has three strikes against it--there has almost certainly been no advanced life of any sort on the fourth planet. (And by "advanced," I mean anything above the microbial level. Sentient life? Forget it.)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

[Edited last by Jack Briggs on August 22, 2001 at 10:22 AM]

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Scientifically, the film already has three strikes against it--there has almost certainly been no advanced life of any sort on the fourth planet. (And by "advanced," I mean anything above the microbial level. Sentient life? Forget it.)
First of all what does this have to do with a Sci- Fantasy movie like Ghosts?
Second I think Richard Hoagland http://www.enterprisemission.com/ ,Mark J. Carlotto http://www.psrw.com/~markc/marshome.html ,Professor Stanley V. McDaniel http://www.mcdanielreport.com/ and others have proven without a doubt, that Nasa is altering Data on Mars.
Now even Arthur C. Clark is upset over this.
http://www.enterprisemission.com/images/arthur.jpg
[url=http://www.enterprisemission.com/sir.htm
------------------

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Without a doubt? I doubt that. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jack, its not hard to believe that They Live is your fav Carpenter film. It is excellent and one of my favorites as well. Carpenter's most praised film, Halloween, doesn't even crack my top 5 Carpenter films list. Halloween is a five-star classic all the way in my book, but some of John's other films are better if you ask me. The reason that John is my favorite director is because I think that several of his films are brilliant classics. Hopefully Ghosts of Mars won't let me down, and it doesn't look like it will. :)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Jack, you failed to even mention the scientific flaw of there being ghosts on Mars. haha. Why be such a stickler about stuff that doesn't matter in a "Science Fiction" movie? Science fiction = science stuff that's made up. Not science fact. Just chill out. :) Like, They Live could really happen?
wink.gif

Are you also aware that Universal is currently making a SE DVD of They Live which Carpenter has said will include a commentary track featuring him and Rowdy Roddy Piper? Just thought I'd let you know. I'm real excited about this one. It should be out sometime next year.
I love They Live, but my favorite Carpenter movie is either The Thing or In the Mouth of Madness. Of course, I also love Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape From New York, The Fog, etc. I think a lot of people are too hard on him, and they souldn't be. He knows exactly what his fans want and he gives it to them. I loved Vampires, but I'm one of the very few. People keep expecting him to make another Thing or Halloween, but he doesn't have to. Nor should we expect him to. As I've said before, this is the man who's given us so many classics like the ones I've stated above. What more does he have to prove? Nothing.
Believe me, no one would be happier than me if Ghosts of Mars re-invents the wheel, but come on...it's a movie about ghosts...on Mars...with lots of gore...with Natasha Henstridge...and it's directed by John Carpenter. What are you people expecting? It's going to be fun. :) 2 more days!!!!! :)
[Edited last by Wes Ray on August 22, 2001 at 08:08 PM]

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Carpenter is a master filmmaker by all means, and Wes is correct. He has absolutely nothing to prove after all the brilliant masterpieces that he has made. I will definitely be getting that They Live SE, and I greatly hope that a Prince of Darkness SE will follow.

Julie K

Screenwriter
others have proven without a doubt, that Nasa is altering Data on Mars
No they have not. All they have done is shown that the human brain is wired to see faces and how easy it is to manipulate images with computer software. The latest images from MGS show nothing more than an eroded mountain instead of a "face".
And to go back a little on topic, I'm losing a little interest in the movie for some reason. I'll still see it this weekend, but I'm not expecting much. Maybe a good thing?
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Julie K

Screenwriter
Norm, if Clarke were to say that from one angle that mountain looks a bit like a face, then I'd have to agree. (And you can find all sorts of images on Mars - Kermit the Frog, the happy face crater, as well as "interesting" body parts
wink.gif
)
But if Arthur is seriously saying that NASA is covering up an advanced Martian civilization, then yes, I'd say that Arthur has lost it. While he has certainly written some great SF, and has a good background in science, I doubt he has kept up with the latest word in planetary geology.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"
[Edited last by Julie K on August 23, 2001 at 12:19 PM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
Norm, what makes you think I didn't look at the links? I went to one link and it was blank. I went to the other and saw some interesting wind sculpting, perhaps with some evidence of water flow. I saw nothing that would indicate anything more than natural activity. Clarke is not an expert on Martian geology. It will take more than "Arthur C. Clarke doesn't know how it happened!" to make me believe in doctored images and coverups. (And the idea of everyone involved in these missions keeping their mouths shut is completely ridiculous.)
------------------
My DVDs
[Edited last by Julie K on August 23, 2001 at 12:40 PM]

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Sorry, but if you study the data you can see they the images are missing data. But if you want to believe the Gov/Nasa is always telling the truth then go ahead believe it. One last word "Brookings" http://www.enterprisemission.com/brooking.html
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

[Edited last by Norm on August 23, 2001 at 12:47 PM]
[Edited last by Norm on August 23, 2001 at 01:08 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but, Norm, we've had these little chats before re this sort of thing. I'll repeat something I recall saying to you before in another thread from a year ago or thereabouts: Why would NASA "cover up" evidence suggesting that there is intelligent life on Mars? It would be the agency's ticket to permanently robust funding; the manned space program would receive the fiscal and popular shot in the arm it has been so lacking throughout the post-Apollo era. Congress would authorize and fund a manned expedition to the Red Planet almost immediately if such a discovery were made. And, for me personally, it would be the greatest day of my life. Then you and I would be exchanging happy e-mails on a daily basis. :)
Back on course: I'm glad to see so many They Live fans here. And I'm also glad to see that an SE is on the way.
By the way: I just read a review of Ghosts in this morning's Los Angeles Times. Critic Kevin Thomas is non-plussed--says it's below-average Carpenter.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'll pass on Ghosts unless there's a good strong consensus favoring it (such as at Rotten Tomatoes). I just haven't been impressed with Carpenter's recent work.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just haven't been impressed with Carpenter's recent work.
I don't think Ghosts will change anyone's opinion. It's like much of Carpenter's later work: technically adept, but fundamentally hollow. You can't keep recycling "B" movie cliches without finally wearing them out. There's never any real sense of danger in Ghosts, as there was in Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York, The Thing or Prince of Darkness. It's not a dull movie, but it's not engaging either.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks