What's new

*** Official FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Drunks at a strip joint say it. I've actually heard it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

The only thing I can figure is, maybe the "zombie" Jason never runs. But the human Jason always has.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's funny but I prefer zombies to be slow, not fast. With Jason I think the faster the better. With a $44 million, three-day total at the box office I'm wondering if we'll get the sequel next year or if they'll wait a year.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Would've enjoyed this more if little Miss Text messenger wasn't sitting right beside me. Really wanted to jam that thing down her throat. She paid money to basically text message in the dark. She wasn't alone, several were actually holding their phone up in the air in front of the screen so they could see it...taking calls and such. I live in a little hick town...is this a problem all over?

As for the film, I wasn't totally bowled over with most aspects but it did have some first rate atmosphere; so they got that right. Jason looked fine throughout..although I like him slow better so that he just appears suddenly and lumbers along but still catches up to you. Cast was stupid...so they got THAT right. Haha! It felt like a F13 movie from beginning to end. But it doesn't rank with the best of the series IMO. Maybe behind Jason Goes to Hell, in my book not a bad placement. I'll pick this up to own to keep my DVD collection complete. Looking forward to watching it in October without the distractions.

Now, one good question is how does this compare to the Halloween remake? My opinion is the Halloween remake was a waaay more ambitious undertaking. I think Zombie was on the right track but it fell appart. As for this one...I think it's a success.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Your nowhere near alone in that. Those things are like portable floodlights in a darkened theater when your trying to concentrate on the movie.

I also hate it when the staff does that walk-through the theater during the movie carrying those really short red flashights like they use to wave planes into the terminal. I always want to scream out "awww, i'm sorry someone broke your Lightsaber is half!" lol.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I think that as underwhelmed as I was with FRIDAY THE 13th, it's still like CITIZEN KANE in comparison to Zombie's pathetic HALLOWEEN.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Let me start off by saying that I don't know if I got the full enjoyment out of this film that I could have because I was there with a friend who brought her 12 year old daughter (who brought her 12 year old friend). M.O.M mode kicked in and I just wanted to cover her eyes and ears during most of the movie.

That said, I still enjoyed it.

I thought this version was fun and gory and full of all the needed components of a horror film. I liked that they updated it and I LOVED that Jason was bigger and faster. I admit that I am a bit old school when it comes to certain aspects of horror films, but I really thought this F13 was awesome in it's own right.

Personally I can do without the excessive nudity and language (just my own personal buzz kill in films). Fake boobs look horrible and dropping the F bomb every other word just sounds stupid. I mean when it's done in moderation, fine, but geez louise they went over board in this film!

I got to watch this movie with a great audience (total plus). They jumped and screamed at all the right places, laughed along with me at all the funny parts and cheered for Jason during some of what I thought were great death scenes. it really kicked up the enjoyment level for me.

I think overall this F13 was well done and I look forward to a sequel!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I was dissapointed in both for some of the same reasons I thought they both sucked in terms of characters. For Halloween I remember Laurie's character seems to be just as obnoxious and vulgar and anyone else in the movie. That's not to say I though she had to be a copy of J.L.C.s performance, but I thought the movie failed there. I thought that Zombie's film had potential, but squandered it with too many poor choices.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Cool Lucia! I wish I'd seen it in the same theater. My audience was lacking but fun in some places.

Aaaah! Miss Text Messenger brought in her own, very loud, snacks too! That didn't bother me as much as the light from her text thing.

I liked Zombie's movie the first 2 times I saw it but it's nearly lost on me now. And it's definitely NOT a sure thing I'll see his sequel in the theater. Hard to believe.... I think his film and this Friday the 13th are best in the theater and with the benefit of a nostlagia boost. I had never seen any Halloweens or F13ths in the theater so that made them better than they seem. F13th may not hold up after I buy the DVD or BD. Further, the sequels of each of these will have a lot of live up to. They will actually have to be decent films to make it worth the money. For me, anyway.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think we had the same audience exactly! There was a 10 yo boy in front of me. Although he was funny to observe during the doggy style sex in the tent. I couldn't tell if he knew what was happening or not. His mom (one of the ones lighting up a cell phone) told him to shut up several times because he was making a lot of noise, especially during the scenes trying to raise the tension level. This film would have scared the complete poop out of me at 10 yo. I wouldn't sleep soundly for a month. I mean, the trailer for Black Christmas in 1975 had a profound effect on me for years. And that was just a trailer. Times change, I guess.

My audience made a big deal out of the weed scenes too.

I thought those characters took some getting used to. I felt Zombie was on the right track with how all the characters were done, even Michael's family. But somehow it just didn't work like it should have. Hard to top JLC and the girls from the original, with perhaps their only weakness being that they looked a little old for the roles.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

The girl under the deck is Willa Ford, singer, contestant on Dancing With The Stars and former girlfriend of UFC fighter Chuck Liddell. Her sequence was the best in the film. Other than that, this film brought nothing new to the series or the genre. It's the same old, same old. I was very disappointed.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And wife to Dallas Stars' top scoring Mike Modano. According to the local paper, he and Willa had dinner with the guy who plays Jason. A joke was made about the wife of a NHL player being chased by a guy in a hockey mask.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I knew that name was familiar. She tried, pretty unsuccesfully, to launch a recording career during the Spears/Agulera era. Guess she went the 'ol reliable route. And I certainly can't see how she was able to sink in the water after she was stabbed (unless the machette went deep enough to pop the bags)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
One thing I DID like about this new F13 was how it didn't play out like some much of a remake and more of a very loose sequel.

Now, I know there's a continuity can of worms here, but with the exception of Jason starting the film in the sack and the fact that we're back to a human Jason, it felt like Jason had been around for a long time. Couple that with the dilapidated camp and it gives off the impression that Jason has been doing his thing for a long while.

In that regard, I dug the approach.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator

I don't care for Graham or any of the Zombie Jasons. Ted White in the Final Chapter is my favorite. He was the last threatening Jason, he had serious power.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I am dying to see this! I have heard it's pretty cool, so this one should be fun to see on a Friday night with a crowd.

As for kids in R rated movies...
I don't want to tell people how to parent their kids, but a 10 year old in a F13 movie? Not to mention how disctracting it must have been for everyone else. When I saw Bank Job, there was a kid, maybe 8 or 9, with his mom. Mom left right as the credits started to get popcorn. What she missed (and the kid saw) were multiple F bombs and a sex scene. Mom comes back, and it slowly dawns on her what type of movie this is, and hightails outta there.
Also, Knocked Up, a FAMILY (including a kid around 8 or 9 AND grandma) show up opening night. They thought it was your basic romcom. Boy were they in for a surprise.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
There's also this aspect as well, bringing babies to a loud movie.

I remember when I saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead in a state-of-the-art digital theater and someone brought a baby in, this movie was LOUD!

I was afraid that it would hurt the babies hearing. Of course the other side of that coin is the film was so constantly noisy that I couldn't hear that baby cry. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks