What's new

*** Official FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's funny how reviews are going on this one so far. Fans are split. Horror writers are loving it. Mainstream critics don't like it but most say it's better than any of the previous film. Even the "ban F13" Ebert gave it two stars.

Saying this is just like TCM isn't wrong but we could also say it's just like THE HILLS HAVE EYES and many other of the recent horror films. This fast, non-stop killing machine is what's scaring people today so I'd bet future remakes are going to take notes from the killers here. In that HIS NAME WAS JASON doc, the director of 7 called the previous Jason's nothing more than "Michael Myers-like" and that 7-10 at least featured a "real Jason". Countless post F13 slashers featured a killer like Jason or the murders were set up to look like Jason. I think this is just the name of the game when it comes to sticking to one thing and running with it.

Joe, I agree with you somewhat, although I do want a sequel and want it very soon. Jason hasn't been in the woods for quite sometime now so on that level I thought the film was rather refreshing. I personally don't count FvJ as "woods" at the end since it played very little into the actual film. We had the brief cyber thing in JASON X and it's not even Jason outside the opening sequence of JASON GOES TO HELL. Even part 8 is away from the woods so to me it was great fun seeing him back in the woods 100%.

When it comes to a sequel they could do so much with it. I hope the idea of FvJ is out of the question but I'd bet after the remake of NIGHTMARE comes we'll see another match at some point in time. They could remake parts 4-6 next and bring back Tommy's character. They'd probably go with a new actor but I personally wouldn't mind them bringing back Feldman for something. They could also try to make this next one in 3-D but since this thing beat the shit out of MBV at the box office, producer's might not want to add the extra money. They could actually send him to NYC if the budget would allow.

Back to this film, I agree the "part 1 remake" could have been handled a tad bit better. Perhaps show some of the mom's murders but the remake of 2 was great. I loved the look of his mask and I'm sure many people will be watching the film and not knowing why he has a sack on his face. I'm not sure how you felt about the "part 2" stuff here.

I also don't know if you caught it but the scene in Jason's underground chamber featured a few props from the previous series murder victims. There was a wheelchair (from part 2) that I caught as well as a murder weapon, which I believe was in part 4.

MattFini

Supporting Actor

Come on, Travis. You're forgetting about the hillbilly pot farmer. Buy maybe that's intentional.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MattFini

Supporting Actor

I agree with Will here. I mean, these characters rubbed me the wrong way.

The really pissed me off what how just about every line was either about how awesome sex or pot was. In the past films sex and pot were a part of it, but they weren't the driving force of each and every character scene.

And you know what? Maybe I'm just coming off like a grumpy old man, but these people rubbed me the wrong way and I couldn't get past it. But the Jason stuff wasn't much better. The gore was lacking and the kills weren't all that creative.

The more I think about this movie the more underwhelmed I am.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd heard all this hoopla about how the kills were going to be wilder than ever, and of course now it seems that the MPAA is much more tolerant, so I was expecting a lot more. The kills were good, but nothing special. I'd rate the girl under the dock as the best in this one.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Man, I have *ALWAYS* rooted for Jason and the teenagers (with a couple of notable exceptions) have always been one dimensional archetypes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I get what Matt is saying because I've always thought that liking the characters that Jason was going after makes things more suspensful than, say F13 Part V, when the characters are so poorly drawn and unlikable that you want them to die immediately.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'm not necessairly saying vile or reprehensible. But most of them were definatey unbecoming. Was the girl who had sex with the guy who's house it was actually his girlfriend? I can't remember. I think of my wife. As a married couple and before we were married, we obviously had our sex life. But she's not an exhibitionist like at least a couple of the women in this film were. I certainly couldn't see her rubbing baby oil all over her tits in the woods with another person right there. These women in the film were pretty much glorified strippers. I'm not necessairly complaning about seeing it in the film (on a side note, at the theater last night I was shocked to see at least a few people come with children that couldn't have been more than 10 years old) but the way they acted and behaved doesn't exactly endear them to me either. In contrast, I watched Part 6 last night and I actually did feel bad for some of those characters when they were offed.

I don't know what the movie was trying to go for. Was it supposed to be self parody? Were we supposed to be on rooting for Jason? Or was it supposed to be a legitamate horror film. I say if it's the latter, they failed. In that case, a little bit of good characterization goes a long way. Countless slashers quote "Halloween" as inspiration. It's amazing how after all this time, few, if any get that right.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I guess it depends on the type of person.

Going through that HIS NAME WAS JASON documentary I discovered that I have no right to be a horror fan. Cunningham and various others mentioned that these movies are meant to make "dorks" feel "good" because the "popular" kids get killed by the killers while the "pure" girl gets to live because she "didn't have sex, smoke or drink". This seems rather stupid to me because I'm sure the "dorks" they mention would be banging the cheerleader, hitting the bong or drinking with their girl if they could.

In the film we are introduced to various assholes who end up dying. We are introduced to the brother and sister, good people, who (might) live. We are introduced to the good girl who tries to help the brother but in a twist she is killed. The crowd I watched the movie with was shocked that the good girl died as was I but I said good. It's good that one of these films does something a tad bit different. The crowd also reaction to the major asshole boyfriend who everyone wanted to see Jason kill. It seemed the crowd felt bad when the Asian and black kids were killed. I'm sure the girls in the crowd got a kick out of the "slut" being killed for sleeping with someone else's boyfriend.

These characters shouldn't be looked at as the ones in KIDS. This is an exploitation movie and people have to die. I think the film tried, at least, to give people a reason to not mind Jason killing them. The redneck in the barn might as well been a homage to the trashy guy in 5. All the sex talk could go back to part 4 and "dead fuck" subplot.

And as others have said, when have stereotypes not been a part of the series or any other slasher movie?

BTW, I guess I'm the only one not having any love for ol' Kane. I think he was good but the God-like nature he's gotten over the years has really taken me as a shock. I always thought Jason in 2,4 and 6 were better. Not to mention this one.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I thought Kane was very good as Jason, but you're right that it's gotten overblown. Kane himself lets this all get to his head, primarily because he played the part 4 times. He certainly did manage to bring certain movements to Jason's character which were uniquely his own; but it should also be remembered that he was playing "zombie Jason". One thing Kane always insisted on was "Jason does not run". Well, maybe Zombie Jase didn't .... but he ran in parts 2, 3, and 4..

MattFini

Supporting Actor

They always have but, for me, this assortment of them simply rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll be the first to admit, I adore the entire cast of A New Beginning, but Junior has this film's Pot Farmer beat by a country mile. Junior was funny, this guy was not.

It's subjective. I get that. But I expected something better. That's what I get for expecting anything from Platinum Dunes - although I will say this: when we get another sequel, I may actually look forward to it.

While I think TCM '03 is even worse than this F13 reboot, the prequel film is pretty good. It actually works more in line with the Tobe Hooper-directed films than Nipsel's remake.

So maybe a sequel to F13 will get it right for me. But there were just too many missteps here that sunk the whole thing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It seems like we're in agreement about pretty much every aspect of the movie. In that light, you might want to change that avitar.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must chime in on the 'Kane as Jason' debate, I agree with those here (refreshing to read as well) that while Kane was good, I always thought he was too large to play Jason. And yes, he seemed to privately declare the role as his for all eternity, hell the man even had the word 'KILL' tattooed on his inner bottom lip lol!

IMO the best Jason of the series was CJ Graham, he had a very unique body-type and the way he walked was just badass, he had an angry power-walk, thrusting all his weight foreward, that no other Jason had.

Visually, I give it to Kane in part VII, the torn and tattered look was simply amazing and the chain around the neck set it all off perfectly, he looked like a mad Bulldog that's been let off the leash.

The new Jason was great, though, it seriously calls into question Kane's reasoning for "no running" Jason. This Jason was fast, aggressive and just plain angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks