What's new

*** Official FREDDY VS. JASON Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I think Freddy doesn't kill the parents because the parents are not afraid of him. The parents hate him for what Freddy did to their children. And fear is that gives Freddy power.

WRT the line "Freddy died by fire, Jason by water, how can we use that?", yes, THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST LINE IN MOVIE HISTORY!! Even the actress looked like she was having a hard time delivering the line.

Still love the movie though. A dream come true for me.

Bring Alien vs. Predator and the sequel to FvJ (with Michael Myers thrown in the mix).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
WRT the line "Freddy died by fire, Jason by water, how can we use that?", yes, THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST LINE IN MOVIE HISTORY!! Even the actress looked like she was having a hard time delivering the line
I don't know, at least Monica Keena looked like she was acting. The Kelly Rowland "butter knife/Christmas sweater" crap made me want to run out of the theater.

KyleK

Second Unit
Maybe I'm not quite up to snuff on my Freddy lore, but am I correct in remembering that what happens to the kids in their dreams happens in the real world too? If so, then why, when Kelly Rowland's charachter (ugh) gets he nose sliced off, then why is it still there when she wakes up?

Anything but the first A Nightmare On Elm Street couldn't be called anything but a B-movie.
Have you seen Part 3?

Overall I feel that Freddy vs. Jason lived up to the potential it had, a rare thing these days. It was also quite enjoyable. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kyle :D

P.S. The only improvment they could have made was to have Freddy as the clear winner.;)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I'm not quite up to snuff on my Freddy lore, but am I correct in remembering that what happens to the kids in their dreams happens in the real world too? If so, then why, when Kelly Rowland's charachter (ugh) gets he nose sliced off, then why is it still there when she wakes up?
I seem to remember Freddy being disappointed at not slicing her nose off. He wasn't yet strong enough to do real damage. Freddy is powered by fear and memory. At that point of the movie, not that many people remembered him, hence not enough power on his part.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
He did kill Nancy's Mom in the first movie. He also killed the coach in #2.
Don't forget that he killed Donald Thompson in 3 as well. Generally he sticks to teens but Nancy's parents were both active in BBQin' Freddy so he had reason to make an exception to his usual duties. As for the coach, Jessie led Freddy to him I guess, but 2 is lame so let's just ignore anything that happens in that one:).

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Have you seen Part 3?
Yes, I have. I own the The Nightmare On Elm Street Collection and I've seen them all numerous times. I love all of them with the exception of 2 and 6, but they are all B-movies with the exception 1. 3 and 7 just happen to be really good B-movies. In my opinion of course. I don't own any of the Friday the 13th movies because I'm waiting for the big box set (hopefully its not a waste of time). I like most of those too.
There's nothing wrong with being a B-movie, but B-movies have a lot of the faults people are finding in Fvs.J.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I definitely agree that FvJ borrows a lot of it's mistakes directly from other films in both franchises, but IMO that doesn't necessarily make it right. The opening Jason scene with gratuitous T&A showcased the script winking at the audience, and that was a good thing. But I still think that a lot of the bad writing/acting was just plain lazy screenwriting/direction. Why waste your time trying to get good performances if you can just fall back on the excuse of "well...the acting was just as bad in the others."

Also, would it have been so bad if the screenplay was stronger and the acting was better? I can understand the nostalgic appeal of watching moron actors getting hacked up by Freddy + Jason, but changing things up (ala New Nightmare) wouldn't have been a bad thing. (Note: I'm not saying that they should have made the film out to be exactly like New Nightmare, I'm just saying that after countless combined sequels it would have been interesting to see someone say "Hey, maybe we could make a film without the campy acting and lazy script.")

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I almost entirely agree with Kissinger's long post. Especially regarding Jason usually waiting until the group breaks up to kill anyone. That's why the rave scene resonated so well.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Also, would it have been so bad if the screenplay was stronger and the acting was better?
Oh, I agree completely. But I also think that waiting for that to happen will take about as long as waiting for someone to make a Four-Disc Super-Duper Collector's Edition of Fear.com. I'd love for someone who can actually write a decent script to deliver an actual new take on the whole Freddy and/or Jason story, and for that script to be delivered to a director with his/her own sense of style, rather than an amalgamation of every other "hip" director out there, who could cast actual actors in his/her movie. But it just isn't going to happen when the studio can throw $30 million at any old director and a few "actors" with name recognition with the under 25 crowd and make their money back and then some.
As futile as it is though, I don't blame you for hoping.:D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
If you think Wes Craven's New Nightmare was simply a B movie, you have no idea what B movies are...

Also, people are saying we weren't supposed to care about the characters. I'm sorry, but I almost always cared about the ones in the NOES series. It's the Friday the 13th characters we're supposed to want dead.

So, what New Line did was make A Nightmare On Elm Stree 8: Guest Appearance by Jason. However, they used the formula for a F13th movie. What I was expecting was something at least on par with the better NOES films. What I got was something on par with the lesser F13th films.

It's not a bad movie compared to the other films of the series, but that's not really saying much, is it?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
There's a rather cool article up at UGO that details the differences between the shooting script and the flick's final cut. Have a read.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
New Nightmare was done so well in that Freddy wasn't a thing, he was a presence, something that few NOES films have really tried to do (the main reason being that it means less gore and death scenes).

david stark

Second Unit
I don't really like horror movies and I went to see this partly because I currently have no tv so the cinema is my only way of seeing films at the moment and i've seen most things on and surprisingly (to me) freddy vs jason had the best rating on imdb on things on at the local cinema that I hadn't seen.

As background I've never seen any of the nightmare on elm street or friday the 13th all the way through and the last (only) horror film that I actively liked was an american werewolf in london. So you'll understand when I don't care if this film breaks any rules whatever of the previous films because I don't know them.

I was actually surprised that I enjoyed the film and I'm not entirely sure how long the film was because I enjoyed it for the whole time. OK, it had bad acting, the script wasn't great, but it was better than I was expecting. I'm unlikely to go and buy the dvd when it comes out, but reading previous posts I am now intrigued to at least see nightmare on elm street and friday the 13th, probably not bother with the sequels.

I suppose the moments I enjoyed were:

the rave, especially the moment (maybe the best in the film for me) just before it all started when he turned that guys head round 180 degrees.

for some reason when jason first goes to freddy's world and freddy is there tapping his knives on the rail.

kelly being hacked down from behind when having a go at freddy.

Blu

Screenwriter
Well, money wise this movie has been a success and everyone knows what that means!!!!

SEQUEL!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks