What's new

*** Official FREDDY VS. JASON Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Um... Scott, you forgot #4!

I'll put in the review I'm sure you were going to write:

Friday the 13th Part 4
Kicked ass. :D

Doug

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Its a shame to hear a lukewarm feeling towards this film from a horror freak, but it is something I have feared from the announcement. Of course i'm going to see the film in cinemas, just with lower expectations.

I was always a fan of the Nightmare series (yeah, even the ones that are sucky). As for Friday the 13th, I don't own any of them but I do enjoy them. I like the analogy of "I would rather watch a bad one from either series than another 'Patch Adams' etc". So many memories as a kid. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For those that have seen Freddy vs. Jason, I have a $5 bet going with my brother about something from the commercials.

It's not a spoiler if you've seen the commercials or the trailer, but I'm spoilerizing it anyway.

In the trailer, near the end, and in the commercials, there is a shot of someone (I say it's Freddy, my brother says it's Jason) jumping really high out of a lake while a girl on the dock looks up at him while she's sort of kneeling down. Is this Freddy or Jason?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, is anyone gonna answer my question from my earlier post? I must know! :D

Your brother really didn't know that? The answer to that question is pretty obvious, and I've not seen the film yet either.

Anyways, anyone know of a good place I can buy this film's poster? Thanks.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's Katherine Isabelle who makes with the brief but blissful boobilicousness.

But Keena spends the whole flick in T-shirts so tight they look painted on.

Will K

Screenwriter
OK, I've seen the movie and posted my review in the other thread. While the movie itself is okay, there are a few things I find troubling about this one, at least from the perspective of a Jason fan.

Have Ronny Yu and the writers actually seen a Friday The 13th movie? Case in point is the scene where Freddy stops Jason in his tracks with a wall of water. Please! Jason has been(and killed) in water many times in the series. The old Jason would have stuck that machete through the water and cut Freddy's ass in half.

At the beginning, why would Jason kill one teen in the house and walk away? That's totally out of character. (I realize he was supposed to be under Freddy's control, but really!)

In the cornfield, when the two teen goobers are talking shit to him, why did it take him so long to knock them off? He never wasted any time before.

The new guy, Ken Kirzinger, wasn't terrible as Jason. I think the problem is the filmmakers not having a clue about him. Though no fault of his own but logically, Kirzinger should end up as the George Lazenby of this series.

MESSAGE TO NEW LINE:

BEG KANE HODDER'S FORGIVENESS AND GET HIM BACK!

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Actually, I know I may get bitched down, but I thought Kane Hodder was the weakest Jason in the series... Then again, I was not a fan of the Zombie Jason or the later movies... So, thats probably it...

Kill victim, move on to next victim, kill victim, without a struggle or a thought... I guess I just find that boring is all...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My brother saw the commercial and thought it was Jason being shot out of hell through Crystal Lake. I have no idea where he got that, but I thought it was pretty evident that it was Freddy from the getgo.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Friday the 13th - Ari Lehman

Friday the 13th Part 2 - Warrington Gillette

Friday the 13th Part 3 - Richard Brooker

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter - Ted White

Friday the 13th Part 5: A New Beginning - (Trick question: Jason isn't IN Part 5!) :D

Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives - C.J. Graham

Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood - Kane Hodder

Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan - Kane Hodder

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday - Kane Hodder

Jason X - Kane Hodder

Freddy vs. Jason - Ken Kirzinger

...now, I can appreciate the fact that fans feel some sense of loyalty to Mr. Hodder but...

He played Jason in 4 out of the 10 previous entries. None of those four are what I'd call the finest entries in an admittedly inconsistent series.

I thought Gillette gave the most intimidating performance of the whole series ;) but c'mon... All Jason needs to be is large, lumbering and handy with a big knife. The whole "Kane Hodder got screwed" vibe is a bit silly to me.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I remember meeting Kane Hodder back in 1989 when I was attending Memphis State. He's actually a pretty nice guy. He also claimed at that time that he did most of the "hard work" as Jason in part 6. He said you could tell it was him by the eye color, or something like that. Honestly, we never went back and rented it again to see what he meant. That just surfaced out of nowhere from the depths of my memory.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
So which of the Freddy and Jason movies does this film pretend never happened? I'm assuming it had to ignore the last 2-3 Jason movies (well, I guess maybe not Jason X, since it technically takes place in the future). I guess it wouldn't necessarily have to ignore any of the Freddy flicks aside from maybe Freddy's Dead (New Nightmare doesn't really count). Thankfully the Freddy and Jason flicks are so cookie cutter in their basic storylines that the the filmmakers won't have to pretend huge installments of the series never happened ala Halloween H20.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Considering that Jason wasn't actually the bad guy in the first film and didn't even start wearing a hockey mask until Part 3 (as well as Part 5 not even actually having Jason, as Scott points out), Kane Hodder starred as Jason in 4 of the 7 films to feature Jason the way we generally think of him. That's more than half of the films, which is certainly nothing to sneeze at. And of course, these were the most recent entries of the series, which were spread out over the course of 13 years. For these reasons and others, it doesn't seem odd to me at all that many consider Kane to have established himself as "the" Jason. Further, considering what a truly nice person he is, it's simply shame to see someone I like lose out on a job he sincerely wanted and could've done well.

DJ

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough Damin, but we don't really know what went on with the casting.

Maybe the producers needed someone who could better handle what clearly is a "stunt-intensive" role. (Kirzinger is a stuntman, after all.) Maybe Hodder's asking price was was more than New Line was willing to pay. (He HAS been in four successive Jason flicks...) And maybe there's some truth to the silly old "soulful eyes" schpiel that the producers mentioned as their reason for moving to a new actor.

American Wedding moved on minus five of the original cast members...and none of them wore hockey masks. ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Do you really think that film uses a good "how to continue a franchise" playbook?
Honestly? Yes. Definitely.

As far as Hodder goes, I do respect the loyalty he's earned from F13 fans; I just don't see much problem in replacing a guy who plays a character who A) never speaks and B) is perpetually coated by a mask and a gooey layer of make-up.

Pretend it's Kane Hodder in FvJ and I bet you won't notice a difference. :D

Will K

Screenwriter
I have to agree with Damin. I could tell from stills way before the trailer came out. This Jason is totally different from Kane's take. Not only does he look different in size and shape, but Kirzinger can't reproduce Kane Hodder's little nuances and movements that put his performance a cut above. At least for hardcore Jason fans, the difference is night and day.

I also met Kane at a Fangoria convention a few years ago. Super nice guy and you could tell how much he enjoyed the part and interacting with fans, so whatever really happened, I can't blame him for feeling a little burned over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks