What's new

*** Official "FRAILTY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've been seeing lots of commercials for this new thriller. It stars Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton and Powers Boothe and also marks Paxton's directorial debut.
The blurbs on the TV ads are pretty funny, in that Paxton must have enlisted a little help from his old buddies. The raves came from the likes of James Cameron, Stephen King, and Sam Raimi. :)
Either way, the movie looks pretty damn creepy to me! Lookin' forward to it!

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
This movie will work if it does not go too far over the edge and gets all crazy toward the end or something which happens many times. I would like to see it be a psychological movie that is completely realistic but is warped because we are seeing the world through a crazed mind. Of course I haven't watched the whole trailer for fear something would be given away so maybe I am way off on this.

-Eric

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I, personally, can't wait to see this one. I love these types of movies, and this one looks creepy. I also really like Bill Paxton. Matthew looks like he may be going back to his Texas Chainsaw Massacre roots, though. Although, I did enjoy seeing him go over the top in that movie, so who knows? I'll be there opening weekend.(I hope, I said the same thing about Panic Room, and haven't yet manged to make it.)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I have been eagerly waiting for this film ever since I first heard about it in mid 2001! It looks and sounds like it will be an excellent horror film, and I can't wait! I've always liked Paxton, and I feel that he has probably done very well directing this film. Being the huge horror fan that I am, and seeing how this film looks absolutely superb, I will by all means be first in line opening night!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Variety gave the film a rave review! :)
Here is a non-spoiler excerpt:
A resoundingly old-fashioned and well crafted study of evil infecting an American family, "Frailty" moves from strength to strength on its deceptive narrative course. Though Brent Hanley's script feels like it's based on an account of white Anglo-Saxon serial killers run amok in middle America, it's a genuine invention that has its cinematic roots in the rich soil plowed by such disparate works as Charles Laughton's "Night of the Hunter" and Tobe Hooper's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." Pic's dark-night-of-the-soul mood derives from the former, while the latter inspired the notion that the family that kills together stays together. Final effect is of a timeless work that could have been made at any point in the past 20 years.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Wow, Scott. You mean I got to screen something before you boys in Philly? I saw this about two weeks ago.

I guess my overall reaction to it is one of indifference. I thought it was fairly predictable for the most part. I could have done without the story being told mostly through flashbacks. Paxton's performance, at least in his first scene, is downright embarrassing. (He does recover.)

Frailty certainly has its disturbing moments, and I think there's a seed of a good movie here. But your mileage may vary.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Mark, you scooped me on this one. There was a screening two weeks back, but I wasn't about to pass up Panic Room for it! :D
Since it doesn't come out until next Friday, I'll hopefully have a screening of this one sometime next week.
...Or I'll just wait to see the Friday it's released!
Like many, I've been a huge fan of Bill Paxton for several years now. Glad to see he's expanding into new territories these days!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The premise certainly looks interesting. I certainly hope the film works on a more deeper level. I'll be seeing this one next week.

~Edwin

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Saw it last night. Five star horror flick. I sincerely loved this movie.

I'm not saying anything else until this weekend...other than see this movie!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Cool, I knew this film was gonna be a winner from the moment I first heard about it last summer! :) Its been too long of a wait, but for a film that looks as good as Frailty does, I'm pretty damn sure it will be worth it!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Sorry Scott/Mark, your views mean nothing. I'm only listening to what famous directors have to say about this one. :laugh:
Strangest marketing campaign ever....
Rob

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just gotta hear him say "Game over, man! Game over!" and I'll be happy as a lark. :D

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Everyone go see it. Make sure you pay full price, too.
My stock portfolio will thank you... :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This marketing campaign is interesting, and effective, I think. I'm more influenced by hearing a quote from James Cameron than random reviewer from the Nowhere Gazette. It seems the equivalent of book-promotion, using dust-jacket quotes from other authors.

How come this isn't done more often?

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it last week and was not impressed, but I did like the last 15 minutes. For me the father is too over the top.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Frailty". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Frailty" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Ebert really dug the hell out of this movie. I hope it works but I get a little gunshy around horror flicks as they seldom work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks