What's new

***Official Finding Nemo DVD - Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I bought both toy stories and monsters Inc sight unseen, think I should for Nemo also?
Yes, I do. Nemo is wonderful, and it's very likely you'll agree if you're already a fan of the previous Pixar flicks. Everybody has their own preferences when it comes to these movies, but my personal list from favorite to least favorite is as follows. (Of course, these are all so good that the dip from best to worst is not a very steep drop!)

Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Finding Nemo
Monsters, Inc.
A Bug's Life

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those that have said it is worth a buy even if you haven't seen it.

My list of the Pixar films goes from favorite to least, like was said even the least is still pretty good...

1. Monsters Inc.
2. Finding Nemo (the top 2 flip-flop depending on my mood)
3. Toy Story II
4. Toy Story
5. A Bug's Life

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This thread is now designated as the official discussion thread for the Finding Nemo DVD.

I liked it much better than Monsters Inc (which I also really liked). There is something there for everyone, not just the kids.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
1. Toy Story 2
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story
4. A Bug's Life
5. Monster's Inc.

They are all excellent examples of great filmmaking. Those screenshots look excellent, this one should look great at home.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the fullscreen version uses recomposited renders. The individial characters have been moved slightly to make them fit naturally into the 4:3 frame. The images were subsequently generated again.
To me, the minor difference in the character spacing in these examples looks as if it can be attributed to the screen captures coming from different 'frames'. Much more glaring to me is that with the widescreen version you lose quite a bit of picture information at the top and bottom.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Pixat has recomposited all their movies since A Bug's Life for full-frame, so I'd say this almost certainly is as well.

Tom Scholfield

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I would, pixar has not had a miss yet in my book, and things only will get better with Brad Bird working on the Incredibles

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Is there a trailer for "The Incredibles" on the Nemo DVD?
From what I understand, not only is there the trailer we all saw in front of Nemo, there's also some "preview" of the film, presumably that short segment referenced previously.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Thanks to Paul and Joe for their replies. Good to hear. Can't wait. I haven't seen Nemo yet, but I don't consider this a "blind" purchase since it's from Pixar.

JKS

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Since we're doing this, here's my Pixar list:

1. Monsters Inc. - second only to Snow White in my book, maybe the best premise for a movie ever
2. Toy Story 2 - so very close to Monsters Inc.
3. Finding Nemo
4. Toy Story
5. a bug's life - last on the list only because something had to be last, and it's a great film

Think about this, how good is your movie studio if your WORST film is a bug's life? Pretty incredible.

Looking forward to Nov 4. Kudos to Pixar for not squeezing both the widescreen and P&S versions of the movie on the same disc. Give that widescreen version room to breathe (a few extras won't hurt). Overcompress the p&s version! Who will ever notice?

-Reagan

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Peope seem to agree, Bug's Life is the weakest Pixar Film. I wonder why?

My list

Nemo
Toy Story 2
Monsters
Toy Story
Bugs Life

The top three are so close that could change spots anytime depending on Mood.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Peope seem to agree, Bug's Life is the weakest Pixar Film. I wonder why?
I disagree.

I'd rate Pixar's awesome awesomeness thusly:

Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Monsters, Inc.
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2

But it's really futile to rate these in any kind of order, but this is what I'd rate them as. And for the record, I love Toy Story 2. But I like Bug's Life even more... and so on. :D Come on, give BL its props! It's Pixar's only 2.35:1 film thus far. If The Incredibles trailer anything to go by, it won't be their only one so much longer...

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Virtual aquarium looks great on my 16x9 plasma. It comes with sound effects. There is a slight pause when it starts the loop again. There are several, but with no fish!? Is there a way to get some fish in the aquarium? Perhaps an Easter egg?

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
1-Toy Story
2-A Bug's Life
3-Toy Story 2
4-Finding Nemo
5- Monsters Inc

PS: I love Monsters Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks