What's new

***Official Finding Nemo DVD - Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Good point, you can clearly see the recompositing in the above example. To me, if it wasn't originally intended to be seen like this, it's no better an alternative to pan 'n scan. :thumbsdown:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'll only watch the widescreen version, of course, but I'll pop in the re-rendered full frame version as well once, since Pixar basically remade the whole thing for a different aspect ration, so it's an interesting oddity.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why they changed it though? They've gone from an obviously-fake buxom look to one resembling a pre-pubescent girl.

All in the name of progress, no doubt.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The 'Why For' entry on the 3rd of October 2003 at Jim Hill's infamous site addressed the Knick Knack alteration;

For those of you who don't know: The version of "Knick Knack" that appeared in front of "Finding Nemo" this past summer had been significantly reworked. How so? Well, that lovely lady knickknick from Miami? In the original version of this short (which Pixar produced back in 1989), this character used to have enormous breasts. HUGE! On Pixar's own web page, they described the "Greeting from Miami" character as being "... A disproportionate blonde." Translation: This poor lass hasn't seen her own feet in ages.

And the pretty "Greeting from Atlantis" mermaid that you used to see at the end of the short? She too used to have memorable mammeries.

So what happened? Did the guys at Pixar all suddenly become revisionist prudes?

Not really. Just over-protective fathers.

To let a Pixar guy (who'd only agree to speak with me about this subject if I granted him anonymity) explain: "Look, Jim. We made that short back in the late 1980s. Back when we were all lonely, unmarried computer geeks. So putting big boobs on a cartoon character was like this major yuck for us."

"Besides -- given that very few of us were even able to get dates back then -- this was the only way that we were ever going to get to see a woman's breasts. By hanging an enormous pair on two of the cartoon characters in that short."

"But now it's 2003. And lots of us guys at Pixar now have wives and daughters that we love very much. And -- when John (Lasseter) got the idea to put "Knick Knack" in front of "Finding Nemo" (to demonstrate how far Pixar had come when it came to doing CG water) -- we took a look at that short again and thought: 'Yikes! We've got to do something about the giant titties on those two characters.'"

"I mean, we didn't want to be all embarrassed when we ran that short in front of 'Finding Nemo.' To have our wives and our daughters suddenly look at us and realizes what horny jerks we'd been back in the '80s."

"So this was a change that was made to a movie for the right reason, Jim. Not like what (George) Lucas did with "A New Hope" when he had Greedo shoot first."

"Besides, if people still want to see the original version of 'Knick Knack' and enjoy the bodacious boobage, all they have to do is pick up a copy of 'Tin Toy Stories.' The short in its original form is preserved for posterity on that tape."

So -- to hear the guys at Pixar talk about this change to "Knick Knack" -- it's much ado about nothing. A tempest in a D cup, if you will

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to watch this on my own set up, whereas when I saw it in the theater there were 4 other people including my girlfriend.

I want it to be Nov. 4 right now!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
to demonstrate how far Pixar had come when it came to doing CG water
I always thought it was to demonstrate the new 'high poly' count models that large round objects would have, hence the extra silicon in the boobs. At the time, very impressive, but with the lower poly count on the current models, not so impressive. :D

Before, I always thought the snowman had real motivation and you could feel for the character. Now it just looks like some creepy snowman trying to get with some 13 year old girls. *shivers*

Wish they kept it on their website. It used to be available, uncut and in its entirety there.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Before, I always thought the snowman had real motivation and you could feel for the character. Now it just looks like some creepy snowman trying to get with some 13 year old girls. *shivers*
That's pretty funny. That hadn't occurred to me but that's a pretty good point. :laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully I'll get this soon.

I wanted to get some reviews up over the weekend but I had to work both Saturday and Sunday night to finish a big project.

Expect a rain-fall of reviews ASAP...and if Nemo finds its way to my door (so far nada) it will be on the list!

-dave :)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Does the Toy Story Laserdisc Gift Set have the original Knick Knack in there?
Yes. It also should be available via any peer-to-peer sharing applications (the original MOV file from pixar.com from a while ago). Since this file was freely downloadable to anyone at the time it was posted (now there's only a clip of it on pixar.com), p2p is perhaps the only way to find that file now, and in no way is this an encouragement of piracy.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What is it with this Knick Knack boob issue and is it really that important... ie. can it not die off already?

Anyhow, to get back on topic ;) Sam I changed the pics to urls for the benefit of those who have slower connection speeds so the thread loads faster. Nice pics btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks