What's new

Official FAQs For Toshiba & RCA HD Players (1 Viewer)

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Are the analogue 5.1 and the digital outputs both live at the same time on a HD XA2, so I could use dolby true HD and use the digital outputs for SD soundtracks ?

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I posted this over at highdefdigest:

Just curious if any of the HD-DVD players with 5.1 analog outputs support DVD-Audio media. Nothing in any specs list I've read indicate that there is support out there, so I'm guessing not. However, has anyone tried this?

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
The HD DVD players with 5.1 multichannel analogs do not support High Resolution. But if you simply select the DTS surround option, your analogs will provide as much of a sound threat.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug

Your reply has left me confused, and perhaps it's because my question wasn't specific enough. When you say High Resolution are you referring to DVD-Audio discs (DVD-A; eg. Diana Krall's When I Look In Your Eyes)? If that's the case, what do you mean by selecting the DTS surround option? Is that an option in the DVD-A Menu or in the player's setup menu? It's obvious that I don't have a clear understanding, so I'm grateful for any help you can give me.

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
If you put a DVD-A disc in a player capable of DVD-A playback, you have an audio menu that lets you choose between High Resolution (need to use the 5.1 analogs) and PCM Stereo (also selectable, I believe).

If you put a DVD-A disc in the tray of a normal DVD player or an HD DVD player you get a different audio menu and you can select PCM stereo, DD 5.1 and DTS surround. In this case, you can use SPDIF digital connection or 5.1 multichannel analogs.

Note: I have never read that both menus are available in one of these players. It is either one menu or the other. But both are present in the disc.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Can someone help me with a thing? :) What kind of cables are needed to use the 5.1 analougue outs on the XA-1 to a reciever? I'm assuming just plain RCA audio cables but does one use the red or white one? Sorry, I feel like an idiot. :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I guess I used the white cables. Looks like they've been discontinued over at Newegg, but I used 3 sets of these cables for the analog connection on my X-A1:

Belkin AV50300-04 PureAV RCA Audio Cable, 4t, White, Retail.

- Walter.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Oh, sorry for that, Tim. :)
Simply had too...

The usual shielded cables ("stereo") are alright. I really can't tell you what the difference would be between red or white in the US. Here they're often red, white or black. The conectors white/red (to denote the two stereo sides) or red/blue, etc.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:laugh:

"This isn't the Combo-player you wanted me to pay for - I'll now go past the counter"

"This isn't the alarm at the door going off"...

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
:D

Ok, last one I promise, otherwise some members are gonna kill us but:

Using the Force for the Format Wars:

Luke: " I can't understand how HD DVD got passed those Blu-ray things?"
Obi Wan: "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded". ;)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

This comment about the A1 from last August went unanswered. Last night, I watched my first 4:3 material on my D2 from Costco. I'm using component and had the same problem - the image was stretched, not pillarboxed. Surely there is a way around this? I can use the modes on my Pioneer 533 RPTV to force 4:3, but the TV puts unsightly grey bars on the side, not the desired black ones.

Can anyone help? I would have to use my Malata region-free player for all 4:3 material otherwise, as I'll be damned if I'll watch with grey bars...

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I posted this to Highdefdigest. Just like TimObi, I'm contemplating using plain ol' RCA cables for multiple 5.1 analog connections. This is mainly because I have a plethora of these cables sitting around and rather than spend a bunch of $$ that could be put towards the purchase of the new Panny Blu-Ray player, I thought I'd dust off the extra cables and put them to good use. Before I go that route I thought I'd ask the question to the enthusiast community - Do "official" SACD/DVD-A/5.1 Analog cables really do a better job of passing uncompressed audio than your basic RCA cables? If not, is the appeal of the "official cables" more of a bragging rights issue? I welcome all feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks