What's new

***Official ET on DVD Discussion (Gift Set, Packaging, Features, Etc) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
After letting it sit for a while, I, too, have to agree that the original version only being available in the Ultimate set is not that bad. It is questionable from an ethical standpoint, but I guess we should have expected it.
What about the fact that the Original version isn't going to be released in any other region apart from R1? Quite frankly that stinks.

Here's an idea. E.T. is (to my knowledge) released by Universal worldwide. Why not make the discs in the Ultimate Collection R0?

That way everybody should be happy - Universal gets more sales and profit (because I'm sure as hell never going to buy the 2002 only release) and people can choose which version to buy.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
James, I doubt Uni will go for that R0 idea, even if the rest is okay. Because it defeats the expense saving step of taking existing discs and inserting them into the Ult. package. Your way, there would have to be a separate master and production run just of R0 versions of the 2002 version and supplement disc.

James Reader

Screenwriter
James, I doubt Uni will go for that R0 idea, even if the rest is okay. Because it defeats the expense saving step of taking existing discs and inserting them into the Ult. package. Your way, there would have to be a separate master and production run just of R0 versions of the 2002 version and supplement disc.
Lets face it David, they *could* release the whole lot as R0 if Universal are distributing the DVDs lot worldwide (which I expect they are). True the release would be in NTSC, but most PAL territory players and televisions can cope with this. People importing from other countries would generally be aware of this.

But let's not kid ourselves. I will never happen, and quite frankly it shows what a farce the region encoding system is. In this instance it is loosing Universal money, as while I am importing the R1 set, I know two people who are not multi-region and will not be buying the 2002 version available in the UK.

I hope - being as broadband is not so popular in Europe - Universal UK will not be implementing the 'Total Axess' features, but instead will place them on the disc - which would redeem Universal UK slightly in my eyes, otherwise it another case of European customers being fed crumbs by the studios.

Brenton

Screenwriter
How much do you wanna bet that once the Total Axess ball gets rolling, they'll "upgrade" it to a member-only service?

I find the Total Axess garbage disturbing and I can really feel for the unfortunate purists who want the original version for a good price. But frankly, I don't need the original version and will be perfectly happy with the two-disc set (with or without trailers and deleted scenes).

As for Spielberg's picture on disc two, I feel that it's perfectly appropriate considering that it's the "behind the scenes" extras disc. Now, if his picture was on disc one, that would be a little weird.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
What about the fact that the Original version isn't going to be released in any other region apart from R1? Quite frankly that stinks.
I forgot about that. That does stink quite a bit. In fact, I don't understand that at all. Man, I really want this movie on DVD, but I don't know if I want to support so many bad decisions by giving them a sale. I guess we'll see.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Quantity-1
Item-E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Ultimate Gift Set)-@ $25.49 each
Format-DVD
Status-Back Order
Shipping method-US OVERNIGHT
Always late to the party. Where are you guys finding the gift set for $25.49? I thought it was going to retail for $70. The cheapest I've been able to find a pre-order is for $54.99.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Where are you guys finding the gift set for $25.49?
About mid-June, Suncoast.com SamGoody.com & Mediaplay.com had the set up for $25.49. An obvious misprice. It was taken down within a few days. But not before an alert HTF member(Christopher H) clued us in on it & lucky few got in on the great price.:D :D
Joe

James Reader

Screenwriter
My earlier quote:
Well, now it appears that the Original version will be available elsewhere: only not in the UK! What's more rumours suggest the UK release will be single disc only, and yet still sell for the above average price of £22.99.

And then studios like Universal moan when people choose to import - which in this case appears to the only option for UK viewers.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Anyone familiar with www.DVDSoon.com? They have the ET Gift set listed for $36.91. But DVD Price Search only gives them a 2 1/2 star vendor rating. Frankly, I'd rather pay a bit more from a reputable online vendor.

Jon.M

Stunt Coordinator
Even though this thread is a year and a half old and the last post was several months before the DVD was released, I'll ask my question regarding the E.T. releases. I'm looking to pick up a copy of E.T and I was wondering which would be the better purchase...the two-disc version or the three-disc boxed set? For what it's worth, I already own the soundtrack, and I never pay much attention to printed bonus material like booklets or photos. Is there content worthwhile on the three-disc set to justify the more than 100% price markup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks