What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Kenneth,

No those specs were just mentioned to me on a filmmusic forum where we're discussing the DVD release. Awaiting his source, but they sound fairly realistic (and we can add DTS to the 1982 disc obviously). If the layout is like that, I'll be content with the gift set purchase.

REALLY hope it comes tomorrow now. Argh!

Dan

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well ordering it fourty isn't such a bad idea after all. Unless it ends up being fluff on those discs. Then again, the soundtrack can be pretty useful too!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
However, isn't all of the stuff on the 3 disc now on the two disc?
Well, on closer inspection, no. Comparing those apparent gift set specs to the two disc specs David listed, the gift set additionaly features:

1) Steven Spielberg: A Look Back
2) Original Theatrical Trailer

That spec also hints at what would seem to be additional Williams concert footage on disc 3, plus it's posible disc 3 has the full version of The Reunion. With the 1982 cut practicaly having a disc to itself here in the Gift Set now, I'd certainly hope it has more room to breathe (its crammed with a 50 min documentary and more on the two disc lets not forget). I originally thought the Premiere footage was listed for Gift Set only but its on disc 1 of the two disc it seems.

We're just not going to know for sure until one of us has it in our paws really.

Dan

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Hehehehe, if I know these guys, the trailer will be enough for these guys to run out and order the GIFT SET. For me, additional Williams footage is enough. I guess I'll be keeping the pre-order. Soundtrack, script, and such are good enough to justify my difference in price. Plus, I'm getting it for Christmas so it's not like I'M paying for it! :D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Still no deleted scenes??? I am very happy with this release, but I wish the deleted scenes were included, including the Harrison Ford scene...it was on the laser disc :frowning:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ok comparing AGAIN, it doesnt appear there is more Williams stuff, just that the Concert featurette from disc 1 of the Two Disc is moved to disc 3 freeing up a bit more space there for the 2002 edition just like the moving of the Anniversary Premiere featurette.

Again what I posted is just something I saw posted in a thread I started about the ET dvd on a film music forum, but the layout seems to fit, though to only have an extra spielberg intro and trailers for the 1982 release would seem little to justify the additional cost because Universal isn't going to push possible higher bitrates to the average consumer as incentive to buy here as Seth has rightly pointed out.

Is The Reunion possibly expanded? We dont know. We're just not going to know 'til one of us has the bloody set in our hands I suppose. VERY frustrating it must be said and THIS Universal, is why you should have sent out review copies to websites!

Still no deleted scenes??? I am very happy with this release, but I wish the deleted scenes were included, including the Harrison Ford scene...it was on the laser disc
Scott, they are within the documentary apparently.

Dan

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
Those specs are word for word, including spelling mistake, what Play has up here so I guess thats where they came from.
Comparing those apparent gift set specs to the two disc specs David listed, the gift set additionaly features:
1) Steven Spielberg: A Look Back
2) Original Theatrical Trailer
David says that the trailers are on there so that just leaves the 'A Look Back' feature unaccounted for.
Richard

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
There's got to be some kind of benefit besides the CD, script, and senitype?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
There's got to be some kind of benefit besides the CD, script, and senitype?
I am starting to think the extra price is Universal's justification for spreading the content of the two disc set over three discs. However, what sense does that make given it would have been cheaper and easier for them just to press the two disc edition as is and slap it in a box set with the senitype...etc?
If the gift set truly is everything on the two disc spread over three then that would be the most significant sign yet to suggest that the addition of the 82 cut to the two disc was a late descision. If true, it still doesnt excuse Universal's pricing of the gift set or marketing it as carrying exclusive comment. They have made NO attempt to set any record straight on the specs, and they dig themselves into a deeper hole by not sending out screener copies.
Dan

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
This is just heartbreaking. I don't want to get stiffed with a frickin' gift set just for a CD, script, and senitype. I wonder if there will even be a 3rd DVD? Don't we have some kind of studio contacts we can ask?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Does that means the GIFT SET could see a better transfer or do you mean they will be all the same?
Tmr is a holiday :frowning: won't be receiving my gift set.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I sincerely doubt the Gift Set is going to have a different transfer. There would be no logic to doing two different transfers of the same film.
And I forgot to say earlier...
David, thank you ever so much for bringing this discovery to our attention. :)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
The first 2 Jurassic Park movies that were packaged with extra stuff (2 Soundtrack CDs, Senitype, and Certificate of Authenticity) had the same exact discs that you could get without the set, why wouldn't they do that again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks