What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Still waiting to see if anyone's had any luck with Universal lately over the DTS 1982 version.
I have not yet recieved a reply.
I re-submitted once all ready.
Should I just fax them? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Why would Universal replace these discs?

They are not defective.

They were not intended to include DTS audio, they were never announced as including it, and they include suppliments and features (5.1 Spanish DD) not on the 2-disc set's theatrical disc.

Why are you guys bothering them? Sure, let them know you're upset that the Collector's edition didn't include DTS sound and that as a collector you'd rather have DTS than 5.1 Spanish DD, but there's no grounds for a refund or exchange here as the discs NEVER advertised anything beyond what you've got. In fact, you got MORE because originally Universal had announced that the theatrical version would have 2.0 Dolby Digital!!!!

Just get the 2-disc set. Universal owes us nothing in this case.

-dave

p.s. like everyone else, I would have preferred DTS audio on the collectors edition rather than 5.1 Spanish DD, but that wasn't our decision to make. We have the option to buy the 2-disc set so we're not stuck with a defective product as it was NEVER promised that 5.1 DTS would be on *any* of the theatrical discs ...IMO we should be grateful for the 5.1 DD/DTS option and move forward...after letting Universal know that Collectors are the very people who *would* have wanted DTS on the theatrical release and that you would have preferred that option.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Well, glad we finally got some more input in any case...
I'm not prepared to march on Universal or anything, but I can't help if I want to get in on that disc if Universal was offering as it seemed like they were.
I wasn't about to cancel the deal I got on the UGS at dvdsoon.com well before it was announced the 2-disc set had the '82 version. I'm glad I have the UGS. The packaging for the 2 disc set bites as most have mentioned.
Still, it would be nice if studios would stop using that "Ultimate" term so much. I have to admit though that DD 5.1 EX English, French, and Spanish was a pretty ingenious moneymaking scheme. Hence, why I don't feel too bad if they send me a disc of the '82 version in DTS that cost a few pennies to press.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Just wanted to update anyone who cares.
Got an email very similar to Perrin's from Universal yesterday. I just have to fax my receipt for the UGS and my address, and they will send me the 1982 DTS version. Sweet.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Will it be the same Disc Two from the 2-disc set, or will it be a new DTS version of the disc from the giftset?

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Funny thing. I faxed my receipt in to them last Thursday--dec. 5 and it seems that it came in the mail today-dec. 12. It's in the office so i wont' be able to get it till tomorrow--Fri, but I must say that was fast service.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I wrote an email back when it first came out pretending to be all confused about why there wasn't a DTS track on the 1982 version (I did buy the gift set). Universal Canada then sent me a 2-disc set soon after.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
"Funny thing. I faxed my receipt in to them last Thursday--dec. 5 and it seems that it came in the mail today-dec. 12. It's in the office so i wont' be able to get it till tomorrow--Fri, but I must say that was fast service. "

Wow! I faxed mine around the same time I think, but wasn't too sure about the transmission.
Guess I'll wait around a week or so and fax again if need be. I had to fax multiple pages because the only receipt I had was from DVDsoon's website. Since then I found a way to get a good receipt on one page.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
An even funnier thing.

I did pick it up today (Fri) and it was my E.T. dvd. It was in a keep case--no label. On the disc art it said 2002 movie. I was like, " No F- ing way" I didn't get a chance to watch it yet, but I got a feeling that they sent me the 2002 version again. I hope not, but we'll see later tonight or tomorrow.

Thomas, I also received mine on Friday. It was the disc 1 (2002 version) from the Gift Set. On the shipping invoice, it just lists "E.T. DVD disc DTS product replacement". The department that processes these requests probably just saw the "E.T. DTS" on the invoice, and sent the disc that was labeled DTS (I don't think the 1982 version in the 2 disc set was labeled as being DTS, from what I recall). I have to give Universal credit, though. They did try to accommodate the owners of the Gift Set, when they really didn't have to. Plus, the shipping was super-fast! (From Texas on December 11 to Alberta, Canada on December 13, during the busy Christmas season ;))

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
That's what I thought. Somebody packing the thing grabbed the wrong one. Would it be wrong/annoying of me to email them back and tell them I got the wrong one? Kevin are you (or anybody else for that matter with the same problem) going to keep pursuing this?

I don't think I'm going to pursue this any more. After I sent the fax of my reciept to Universal, I ended up getting a good deal on the 2-disc set and picked it up. Now I've got 3 copies of the 2002 version sitting at home (how much E.T. is too much?;) ) I've got all the versions that I need, so I'm just going to let it go. If you do pursue it, please post your findings. I'm curious if they would keep sending the 2002 version out. (Nothing against their customer service department, since I've had exceptional service every time that I've dealt with them)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Nothing for me yet. I'll probably send another fax at the end of the week, maybe pointing out I want the version of the '82 film included with the 2-disk set.
I'm starting to feel sorry for Universal though. They are going out of their way with this one, and it sounds like they're going to get hit hard over Back to The Future II and III next.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Well I emailed them again thanking them for their quick service and great support. Then I told them the wrong version was sent and that I would send it back if they wanted to. I restated that I wanted the '82 version. We'll see what happens.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Excellent. Maybe they realized what they were doing and that's why I haven't gotten anything yet. I'll gladly wait for the right one. In the meantime sounds like some folks will have some stocking stuffers on their hands. :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Maybe in another week some of us will have those DTS '82 discs in our hands.

Please post if you get yours so I know if I have to send a new fax to them.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Have any Ultimate Gift Set owners successfully gotten their 1982 DTS discs from Universal yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks