What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
About a month ago, I sent Universal Studios an email concerning the lack of the DTS track on the second disk of the Ultimate Gift set. Today, I received an email from them stating that when I fax a copy of my receipt, they will send me second disk replacement with the DTS track. But it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it. I am glad that Universal Studios is doing something about it.

perrin

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
About a month ago, I sent Universal Studios an email concerning the lack of the DTS track on the second disk of the Ultimate Gift set. Today, I received an email from them stating that when I fax a copy of my receipt, they will send me second disk replacement with the DTS track. But it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it. I am glad that Universal Studios is doing something about it.
Wow! Good news. Will it be the same exact disk but with DTS or will they send you the disk that was included in the 2 disc set?
Anyways, do tell more! Fax number or email addy or something.

Brenton

Screenwriter
That's incredible.

As for the Christ-allegory, I agree that similarities are there, whether or not they're intended. Whatever that means.

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the information you requested concerning the DTS track on the second disk for the Ultimate Gift Set.

I will quote from the email: "Thank you for contacting us. We have forwarded your email to the appropriate department at Universal Studios. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please fax a copy of your receipt for the purchase of E.T. UltimateGift Set DVD to fx#972-293-5900
Attn: Cynthia-Universal Studios Home Video Customer Service. Please provide us with your mailing address and we will send you the DTS DVD. Allow 4 to 6 weeks to receive your replacement.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video
Code=E.T."

Some one asked if it will have the same content. I do not know. I am assuming it will be the same. I am just glad they will send a replacement DVD at no extra charge.

perrin

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Well, came here to have all my questions answered about the 1982 DTS issue and did. Thanks everybody.

I have the UGS. I thought about cancelling, but I had gotten such a good pre-order price months before from dvdsoon.com (came out to around $30 US I think), that I thought it foolish to cancel.

I haven't yet seen the 2002 version. I guess if I absolutely hate it and decide to only watch the 82 version after I may pick up the 2-discer as a previously viewed for cheap at Blockbuster some time so I can get the DTS 1982. They're bound to have lots of them ( and I sure hope in widescreen).
The lack of DTS on the 82 UGS did miff me quite a bit when it's on the 2-disc. I guess doing three DD 5.1 was the politically correct thing to do, but ashame it cost a DTS 5.1 ES track. Anyone wonder why they didn't go all out and give it a DD 6.1 ES discrete soundtrack? Seemed strange for such a high profile release.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Whoah. Forget buying at Blockbuster. Count me in on this too. What's the email? Is it at Universal's website?

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching the 2002 version of the 2 disc set and at 14:47 it froze the picture on my Toshiba SD-1700, then I played it on my Panasonic RV-20 and the front left speaker made a loud pop sound while the video pixelated a little at the exact same time, anyone else having problems with the 2002 version at 14:47?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Sent my bid in for the DTS 1982 version yesterday.
Tried to sound gracious about the UGS, and yet disappointed at the same time, rubbed in the money issue a little even though I didn't pay all that much. ;)
Had managed to find the right email page at the Universal site myself in a few minutes.
Thanks for the heads up, perrin.
Let's all hope it works out.
p.s. Just realized, we could probably make a lot of ebayers happy selling that extra original disc. Unfortunately, we'd likely be sacrificing half that one documentary. I would guess they're just going to send us the 1982 disc from the 2-disc set. Can't imagine they'd have a third version already.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
My head is spinning! I tried to read through most of this thread, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have the 2 Disc, Collector's Edition. What soundtrack does the '82 use? Aside from the 3rd disc, and book, should I have gotton the 3 disc set??

Mike D.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the '82 on the 2-Disc Collectors Edition has DD and DTS.
Well, you'll have to decide that for yourself, unless you really want me to make your purchasing decisions for you.:D
Maybe this will help. Here is the stuff your missing if you have the 2-disc Collector's Edition.
E.T. From Concept to Classic Book: Besides the DVD that has the '82 cut of the film this is the best thing in the set.:emoji_thumbsup:
2002 Soundtrack CD: Believe it or not I had never bought an E.T. soundtrack so this worked out nicely for me.
Senitype: Most people think this is worthless but for true E.T. geeks like myself it's kind of neat.
A Look Back: Doc. (37.42 min.) Very good doc. in my opinion.
Original '82 Trailer: How can you live without it!;)
The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: Doc. (50.14 min.) Very good also. Version on 2-disc is shorter & a bit different.
The Music of John Williams: Doc. (10.03 min.) Quite nice, especially if you are a fan of Williams.
Disc Packaging: Silver four panel fold-out to hold the discs. Nice and thick when folded up and it actually has the name of the movie on the spine.:D
Beautiful Blue Box: To hold everything.:)
Hope this helps.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
This may have been discussed here already (I searched the thread by didn't see anything), but I question whether the DTS track on LCE Disc #1 is even DTS-ES. My decoder certainly didn't auto-detect it as such, and it's always automatically picked up the DTS-ES flag on other DTS-ES Matrix movies.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What exactly is on the Total Axess site? I am unable to access any of the content.
When I first inserted the Disc 2 (from the 2 disc set), I was taken to the site. There were links for pictures and videos. When I clicked those links, it said I had to register the DVD. After filling in all the required info, I still was unable to access any of the content. :angry: (It said that my e-mail address was recognized.)
After a few hours, I tried it again. This time the site said that I needed to insert the DVD into the DVD-ROM drive before I could access the site. (Of course, the DVD was already in the drive.)
Now the site says there is too much traffic on the site.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And to formalize Brett's list, I believe that UGS owners are missing:
1) DTS on 82 cut
2) more money from their pocket
Also 2 disc owners have the rather unpleasant box for their discs vs the nice one Brett mentioned.
So that's both sides of it. You have to decide which one to stand on.
When I finally got my UGS and opened it the very first thing I thought was "DVD version of a Laser Disc box set". A hardback book goes a long way, especially a nice one. :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hey, Perrin.

How long was it till you got a reply from Universal with the fax information? I imagine the holiday may be slowing down the works. I just want to make sure I get my bid in for the DTS '82 version before they change their minds about doing that for UGS owners.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Okay, still haven't gotten an email back from Universal :frowning:
Has anyone else had any luck?
I'm tempted to just go ahead and fax my receipt to the above number, but I would think it would have a lot more weight faxed with their email that they will actually send me the 1982 DTS version.
Anyone who has had success with Universal, please let me know if it took a really long time to hear back from them or if you think they've changed their mind about supplying UGS holders with the DTS 1982 DVD upon request.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks