What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Danm, I hate those french translation everywhere on the packaging! They even translated "a STEVEN SPIELBERG film" to "un film de STEVEN SPIELBERG" :angry:
US order again :frowning:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Great news on the music. Really sounds like they did a bang up job for the 1982 transfer. Given I am keeping my LD box set which carries the orignal soundtrack I really could not be more pleased...

Dan

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have even more respect for Mr. Spielberg now! Lucas should learn from him. I also believe that they didn’t intend originally to include the original cut on the 2-Disc set but later changed their minds thanks to people’s complaints!
Probably true.
This news has absolutely made my day (and my week and probably my month). Kudos to Spielberg and Universal for coming around and doing the sensible thing. :emoji_thumbsup:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Unfortunately there's no English DD 2.0 track for the 1982 version
Why would you want a 2.0 track? ET had a first run 70mm release with "6-Track Dolby Stereo" in 1982. Did Universal use the 2002 soundmix on the original version on the DVD, or is it a remix of the 1982 version?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Jonathan, it was established they used the 02 mix although it carries the relevant tweaks restoring it to the 1982 cut (the "terrorist" line and additional music).

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Unless there is a compelling reason with the extras on the discs to buy the Boxed Set (ie full documentary, etc.), it's the two disc-er for me!

Dan

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not really one to scorn what's being said - as I too desperately hope that the 1982 version of ET is indeed on the 2nd disc... but I found this article...
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/cut_list/et.html
Now, I don't know... what does anyone else think?
I think that article is almost three months old and has nothing to do with the DVD release - it discusses the 2002 SE theatrical version and PRIOR video editions. The news that the 2-DVD package includes the 1982 cut is fresh for everybody since none of us got screeners - back in July, we all expected only the deluxe set would feature the 1982 version, but that appears to have changed...

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Dan, I can asssure you, I definitely want to believe this story.

However, Speilberg being a bit like Mr Lucas, I can't see him authorising the line change. Especially having read that article about the orignal Laserdisc verion and VHS (which I still have)already being cut. Plus he tweaked theatrical prints too.

Surely Spielberg considers the 1988 VHS and Laserdisc version as his original vision?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Neil, seriously, those who have the disc, those who have posted in this thread will tell you it's there!!!!
David,
Can you, or anyone else with the set, do me a BIG favour and turn to the live recording music track and tell me if right at the very beginning just before the logo or as the logo appears if someone in the crowd shouts "I love you John"? That voice will be the cry of a friend of mine from a filmmusic forum who is itching to know if he made the track. :laugh:
Dan

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
So what exactly is my reason for keeping my Ultimate Edition pre-order? Anyone?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Adam, when we know thwe full final spec of the gift set, we'll know then. Right now we know of no one with the set to come forward. Like I've said, if mine comes tomorrow or tuesday as expected, I'll report in immediately.

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks David.

Guys I have come across this regarding the gift set disc content and layout;

DISC 1 - 2002 VERSION / An introduction by Steven Spielberg / Isolated John Williams Live at the Shrine Auditorium Feature Score / Space Exploration

DISC 2 - 1982 VERSION / Steven Spielberg: A Look Back / Original Theatrical Trailer / DVD-ROM Features including Total Axess

DISC 3 - The Evolution and Creation of E.T. / John Williams Conducts the Orchestra / The Reunion / The 20th Anniversary Premiere / Designs / Photograhhs and Marketing / Production Notes / Cast and Filmmakers / DVD-Rom Features including Total Axess

Dan

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
David, can we get a comparison between Dan's Gift Set content and two disc content. Are there any differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks