What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree with that part David, and I thought about it even as I wrote my post.

Still, this situation is extremely odd.

Seemed like someone on the other site's forums mentioned that at one point news was leaked about the 82 being on the 2 disc and that Universal had subsequently denied that fact. I don't remember such a thing happening. Does anyone else?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Universal didn't intend to put the original on the 2-disc set, but changed their minds after getting a lot of negative feedback about not having the original available unless you buy the ultimate set.

Crawdaddy

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So what is in the deluxe set now? Two versions of the original and one of the 2002 cut?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How is the overall quality of the negatives used for the 1982 version? Were they restored & cleaned up with a new IP struck for the HD transfer or is this some crappy print with scratches and blemishes?

Also how is the compression job?

In many respects I am glad the newly remixed DTS-ES matrix track (too bad it wasn't DTS-ES Discrete 6.1) is included on the original release since it was more dramatic and smoother sounding than the original 1982 Dolby Stereo A printmaster that was used for early video releases.

Anybody now able to do a definitive list of what are the differences between the Ulimate Boxed Set and the 2-disc version?

Dan

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've changed my preorder from the gift set to the 2 disc set. I've got a lot of DVDs to buy between now and Christmas and the change saves me enough money to buy just one more. I'm going to have to think about it some more but right now I'm leaning towards not spending it on "Minority Report" due to Universal's deception on E.T. and not sending review copies.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
How is the overall quality of the negatives used for the 1982 version? Were they restored & cleaned up with a new IP struck for the HD transfer or is this some crappy print with scratches and blemishes?
From what was said in the previous thread, it sounds like they took the re-mastered print PRIOR to it being tweaked with CG and what have you, and that's what we have. Good, eh?

Dan

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me get this straight before I cancel
my GIFT SET order....

The original 1982 version is on the 2-disc set?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
When you open the package, disk 2 is clearly labeled to include the 'Original Theatrical Version'. The insert also clearly lists '1982 Feature Film' for disk 2. The insert is definately for the 2 disk version and not the ultimate box set, so that kills the chance of it being a mistake.
Sounds like everything else is identical.

Jeff

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Wow?! so the two disc has the original cut, with dolby digital and dts, but no original stereo track? I wonder if the ultimate edition version will still have three discs, because wasn't the original version supposed to only be the original stereo on the ultimate edition with no other sound options? Mayhaps there no longer is an extra ultimate edition dvd, and the set is only a two disc dvd set, with a soundtrack and script for the extra forty dollars. This is where it would be so appropriate to send out screeners, because I would know what to tell people to buy, alas Universal seems to long for consumer confusion and ignorance about their product.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
The changed section that is most prominent (and by far my biggest beef with the 2002 edition) occurs during the closeup of the shotgun and then ever-closening quick cuts on Elliot's face right before E.T. lifts all of the bikes over the police cars.
In the 2002 version, the shot of the shotgun is cut and, as no new image was put in its place, the accompanying music had to be likewise cut. There is a very noticeable jump in the music at this moment (especially for those who know the music well).
Could you check these parts on both versions to hear how the audio matches up? It is my only remaining concern with the release.
Thanks for being the bearer of great news, David. :emoji_thumbsup:
Evan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So based on some info I heard from Robert via Dan, plus what Jeff has noticed, I go back to what I said before (and Crawdaddy agrees with) - they had an original plan that has been altered...AND it probably means that extras were cut from the 2 disc (or trimmed) to fit on the 82 cut.
They went back and repackaged, and note that the repackaged version is the CDN version which probably gets made after the original packaging is done anyway (it seems like they base the CDN artwork off of the original US, so that it would get done a bit later).
That other info is that the gift set DOES have 3 DVDs plus the CD. So you have 2 movie discs still, plus a 3rd disc of extras.
Universal is not known for their bitrate concerns (like FOX and CTHV are, for example) so I doubt the Gift Set is the same but with a 3rd disc for "better bitrate". They would rather save the 3rd disc cost. Instead, I would put money on the idea that the 2nd disc was the same as the Gift set 3rd disc, but that they decided that they would be better off making the 2 disc set include the 82 version rather than some of the extras. One thing I thought of is that special that has lost some 70 minutes or so (based on what was said in the other thread) from the network TV version.
To me I would suspect that the Gift Box version is the full length version, or that the Gift Box has other extras on that 3rd disc that the 2 disc set does not have (but might have previously).
The special makes sense because it could still be listed technically, yet take up a lot less space now.
And to be honest, I think SS is much more appreciative of the original work despite how blasted he got early on. Seeing him speak of his feelings regarding the CE3K original version he acknowledges that the guy who directed that just isn't him any more, but that the film ALSO represents who he was.
There is a BIG difference between putting together a new artistic vision that you see as a seperate entity and trying to erase the past forever.
So maybe SS heard about the hubbub and got involved, or someone at VU realized they were headed for trouble. Or someone wrote a really shitty bit of copy for the press release.
:emoji_thumbsup: for the change, but :angry: for how VU handled it.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Excellent, Excellent news! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: I have even more respect for Mr. Spielberg now! :emoji_thumbsup: Lucas should learn from him. I also believe that they didn’t intend originally to include the original cut on the 2-Disc set but later changed their minds thanks to people’s complaints! And some say we complain too much here! Sheeeh! It’s not true! If you are right, voice your opinion, there is nothing wrong with that!
Ok! But what’s on the 3-Disc set now?

David Ely

Supporting Actor
In the 2002 version, the shot of the shotgun is cut and, as no new image was put in its place, the accompanying music had to be likewise cut. There is a very noticeable jump in the music at this moment (especially for those who know the music well).
Good news! The music is intact in the 1982 release.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Just saw the pictures David posted! Great job!
Please don’t read if you easily get offended! The following is about the artwork on the discs! ..... I like it how the artwork on the second DVD that contains the real version looks great and how the artwork on the bastardized version looks like shit! I really like that! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks