1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 'Donation Drive' Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Members have suggested that we have an "Official" donation drive thread so that everyone can see a single thread on this subject.
    So far of this morning we have close to $4000.00. We have met our goal in collecting the monies for the server. We will continue with the drive for a few more days though to collect additional monies at this time for future upgrades so that we don't have another donation drive in the near future.
    Anyone that is wanting to send us a check will need to wait for me to set up a PO Box tomorrow. I haven't been able to get to the Post Office to do this yet and have to wait until tomorrow. I will post the address in this thread and in the forum announcements.
    Again we thank all of you that have contributed. This has made it possible for us to purchase a new server that will meet the needs of the software for the future until we need another. [​IMG]
    Everyone has been fantastic with this.
    Parker

2. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Well-Known Member

Hello!
    Since many (most) members may not even know that a "Donation Drive" is/was on, since they may not have visited the HTF site during this period. I suggest that an "Instant Message" be put up for them. Without being informed, they are being given the opportunity nor the option of helping out or showing their appreciation for the HTF.
    An email is another alternative, of course.
    With so many posts, you may also soon need funds to treat (RSI) repetitive strain injury! [​IMG]

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

Yes, why not send a email to all members like you do when you notify us about discussions with studios? This email would simply inform them of the donation drive along with information telling them their options if they want to contribute.
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on September 03, 2001 at 10:05 PM]

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Umm... There ya go!
    I think it's awesome how quickly the money got raised around here. I'm sure it will still come in for awhile too. A lot of sites have put up donation type things-- and gotten almost nothing (including from me).
    Beyond all the obvious great things about the board, this is one of the few places that reminds me of the 'old BBS days', before the web. Whatever it is, it's a good thing. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bill Slack on September 03, 2001 at 10:55 PM]

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Well-Known Member

Wow, Bill, that's true. I used to have a blast with my own "BBS" and this place brings back that same type of "familiarity" (except on a much, much larger scale!).
    ------------------
    Scott

6. Gordon B

Gordon B Active Member

Parker--I tried to donate on PayPal, where I have an account. Both times I tried PayPal, my browser shut down in the middle of the operation. I got an error message saying the program had performed an illegal operation. Happened at two different points in the transaction. Don't know what the problem is, but imperative you get a post office box and post the address so it can be easily seen. Others could be having a similar problem.
    Gordon Bower

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Ron just sent out a mass email to the membership today. We didn't want to send out just an email with information on the donation drive. We wanted it to contain information on our upcoming chats.
    Thanks for the kudos on the site. I used the old BBS stuff myself. This site often reminds me of those old days too.
    I should have the PO Box open by tomorrow. Sorry to hear if some of you are having trouble with the Paypal.
    Parker

8. AndyVX

AndyVX Well-Known Member

Ahh, I remember using good old Telix to log onto BBS' back in the DOS days. This forum surely does remind me of those BBS communities.
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Well-Known Member

Parker: The paypal donation page crashes my browser as well. What is the email address for donations straight from PayPal?

10. Parker Clack

Parker
    If you guys go to http://www.paypal.com you will have to set up an account first then the address to send the donation to is packy@hometheaterforum.com. That's it.
    Sorry to hear that the javascript page is crashing people's browsers.
    Parker

11. Andrea W

Andrea W Well-Known Member

Parker,
    Here's a stab at a "thermometer" that people are asking for to see how close we are to a new server. If you guys let me know which server you want (or send me a pic), I can go to the Dell site and get the correct picture to put at the top. Also, I can resize this thing to (almost) anything you want. Just let me know and I'll make the images (with the various "red" levels).
    Also, if the forum can limp along a little while longer, you guys should continue the drive for a few more weeks. And if you stick the thermometer or a donation logo in a prominent place on the forum web pages, hopefully more people will take notice and contribute.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/
    [Edited last by Andrea W on September 04, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

12. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Well-Known Member

Very nice, Andrea! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

13. Parker Clack

Parker
    Andrea:
    The server is a Poweredge 2550 from Dell. I like the first box the best. Send anything you make up to packy@hometheaterforum.com and I will put it up.
    In addition:
    Many of you have requested a PO Box to send a check into. Please send any checks made payable to Home Theater Forum, in US dollars please,to:
    Home Theater Forum
    PO Box 25008
    Kansas City, Missouri 64119
    Thanks again to all.
    Parker

14. Parker Clack

Parker
    As of today we have collected all the monies required for the new server or right at $5,000. Any additional monies collected will be used for a back up account to purchase any future upgrades that we need and pay for additional band width needs.
    Thanks to all. This is so fantastic. We should have a decision on the server in a few days and then get it sent out. All together it should take a couple of weeks to get things going on this but we have taken the first giant step thanks to all.
    Parker

15. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Well-Known Member

Whats the latest total Parker?
    I haven't seen an update in a while.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

16. Parker Clack

Parker
    Kevin:
    As I said in my previous post we have just now collected just over $5,000.
    Parker

17. Andrea W

Andrea W Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Also emailed to packy. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

18. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting the P.O. Box Parker. It will make dillusional paranoids like myself sleep better at night. [​IMG]
    My clean crisp 15 dollar bill will be in the mail shortly. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

19. Parker Clack

Parker
    Kevin:
    And you will be promptly arrested for forging a $15 bill. [​IMG]
    Parker

20. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Well-Known Member

quote: As of today we have collected all the monies required for the new server or right at $5,000.[/quote]
    [​IMG]
    Holy crap! That was fast! If I recall correctly, the donation drive hasn't even lasted a full week, and we've already met the goal? Outstanding! [​IMG]
    Did you guys think that you'd raise the money this fast? I can't imagine how gratifying the support you're receiving must be.
    Once again, well done, Ron and Parker.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Forner on September 05, 2001 at 02:16 AM]