What's new

Official Dolby Atmos Fans Thread (1 Viewer)

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a bit of a thread bump about Dolby Atmos in commercial cinemas.

Warren Theaters is going to open their newest multiplex in Broken Arrow, OK (a Tulsa suburb) on December 19. The all THX certified 18-plex cost $45 million and will have lots of lavish decor, neon, etc. Their two biggest "Grand Infinity" auditoriums will reportedly be the first full time commercial auditoriums in the United States to feature 4K laser-based digital projectors. I don't know which brand is being installed. Previous laser-based shows have been temporary featuring "test drive" nature product. The two Grand Infinity auditoriums will also feature Dolby Atmos equipped sound systems with Atmos wired and amplified in its maximum 64 channel output configuration.

I don't know how often Dolby updates the map on its web site tracking theaters equipped with Atmos and other Dolby technologies. Lately progress with new Atmos installations has appeared pretty slow here in the United States. The two Grand Infinity screens at the Warren Broken Arrow as well as the Seattle Cinerama renovation are notable additions.

Dolby has lowered the price of its CP-850 Atmos cinema processor. Even with the price cut it's still a pretty expensive piece of gear (now listing in the $20K range rather than $30K range). The high price does include some technical services from Dolby.

It will be interesting to see if the CP-850 price cut helps foster a surge in Atmos installations. I'm not sure if the appearance of Dolby Atmos in the consumer electronics space will help or actually hurt Atmos in commercial theaters. Highly anticipated movie titles might do more to speed up Atmos installs. Ultimately, movie theater operators aren't going to install Atmos (much less install it right) unless it helps them sell more tickets.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
With more and more Dolby atmos titles geting dtsHDMA 5.1/ 7.1 I think its time to ditch atmos as its a failure for home. About 7 titles all gone dtsHDMA 5.1 / 7.1 in past few months since home atmos or atmis get it? atmis.

What they should have done was released all films that mixed shown in atmos for cinema onto bluray with no excuses what so ever. But it seems home atmos is a bit of con really.Only 3 titles are home Dolby atmos. I my view I think its a scam. get consumers to spend thousands on AVR AVP and those silly atmos elevation speakers at hundreds for a bit chipboard and cheap Bose looking speaker is bloody cheeky.
Guardiansof the Galaxy will not be getting Dolby atmos its gone straight to dtsHDMA 7.1 and for those who brought these Dolby atmos lemons, I could have told you all its going to be a fail. Get consumers to spend money out on dtsHDMA then months later release again in Dolby atmos. What a scam.The studios and Dolby labs support for this have a lot of answering for.Bottom line. DO NOT BUY HOME Dolby atmos IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY FOR HARDLY LITTLE CONTENT.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
andySu said:
The studios and Dolby labs support for this have a lot of answering for.Bottom line. DO NOT BUY HOME Dolby atmos IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY FOR HARDLY LITTLE CONTENT.
No one likes having to double dip, for sure. Hopefully we've been trained by now to hold off on immediate purchases and wait for a better version later. It requires lots of patience.

Me? Jeez, at this point I'm happy they're still releasing optical media.

But yeah, it's a little early to call Atmos a failure. Especially when the only discs that are available are on expensive new releases. Does anyone pay full price anymore?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Brain, well lets see how atmos plays out for the home market though 2015 and I bet not even 48 titles are reached by mid 2015 in atmos.

I won't consider atmos AVR for at least a few years until it as proved its here to stay for the home market and not just a format that will vanish after a year or two. I'll see how this plays out I've got enough JBL here to sink a battleship so I'm ready speaker wise.

What studios should have done is release content first AVR's last at least then consumers have a choice to select the titles they like to buy.

I doubt all these titles will be out on bluray Dolby TrueHD 7.1 atmos by July 2015, plus there about over 100 more I didn't include you can get more infio at DOlby atmos website. http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experience/dolby-atmos/movies.html

Current dtsHDMA titles on bluray
1) Brave (June 22, 2012) Dolby TrueHD 7.12) Taken 2 (October 5, 2012) dtsHDMA 5.13) Chasing Mavericks (October 26, 2012) dtsHDMA 7.14) Life of Pi (November 21, 2012) dtsHDMA 7.15) Rise of the Guardians (November 21, 2012) dtsHDMA 7.16) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (December 14, 2012) dtsHDMA 7.17) A Good Day to Die Hard (February 14, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.18) Oz the Great and Powerful (March 8, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.19) G.I. Joe: Retaliation (March 29, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.110) Oblivion (April 19, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.111) Iron Man 3 (May 3, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.112) Star Trek into Darkness (May 17, 2013) Dolby TrueHD 7.113) Epic (May 24, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.114) Man of Steel (June 14, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.115) Monsters University (June 21, 2013) Dolby TrueHD 7.116) The Heat (June 28, 2013) dtsHDMA 5.117) Pacific Rim (July 12, 2013)18) The Wolverine (July 26, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.119) Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (August 7, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.120) Elysium (August 9, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.121) Ender's Game (October 25, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.122) Thor: The Dark World (November 8, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.123) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (November 22, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.124) Frozen (November 27, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.125) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (December 13, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.126) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (December 25, 2013) dtsHDMA 7.127) I, Frankenstein (January 24, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.128) Tarzan 3D (February 20, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.129) 300: Rise of an Empire (March 7, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.130) Noah (March 28, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.131) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 4, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.132) Rio 2 (April 11, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.133) Transcendence (April 17, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.134) Iceman 3D (April 25, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.135) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.136) Godzilla (May 16, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.137) X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.138) Maleficent (May 30, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.139) Edge of Tomorrow (June 6, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.140) How to Train Your Dragon 2 (June 13, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.141) Jersey Boys (June 20, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.142) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (July 11, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.143) Lucy (July 25, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.144) Hercules (July 25, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.145) Guardians of the Galaxy (August 1, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.146) Into the Storm (August 8, 2014) dtsHDMA 5.147) Dolphin Tale 2 (September 12, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.148) The Maze Runner (September 19, 2014) dtsHDMA 7.1Some others that may look poplar are just been released in cinema or have been released last month so too early to tell and I bet most will end up as dtsHDMA 5.1 / 7.1.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dolby Atmos will of course be successful. Count on it. No doubt about it imo. It's gonna take off in 2015.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Dolby Atmos will of course be successful. Count on it. No doubt about it imo. It's gonna take off in 2015.
Do you like betting?I bet that not even 50 titles are available as Dolby TrueHD 5.1 7.1 atmos by July 2015. I bet most you been dreaming about at the 2 week runs they get a cinema will end up as dtsHDMA 5.1 7.1. Very few will see the blu of 2015. Oh those Hobbits they only seen dtsHDMA 7.1 as of late and 3rd one will be dtsHDMA 7.1. Seems like atmos should be viewed from a great distance to see how it pans out for 2 years with regards to CONTENT! What is the use of 2.5 grand AVR atmos sat around doing nothing all for the sakes of overhead surrounds, crying out loud UCI tower park, was doing Dolby Stereo overhead surrounds 25 years ago.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Do I like betting?? With you? Who thinks DVDs and laserdiscs have better picture and sound than blurays?? No thanks Andy. I'm comfortable in the 21st century. Carry on. ;)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Do I like betting?? With you? Who thinks DVDs and laserdiscs have better picture and sound than blurays??No thanks Andy. I'm comfortable in the 21st century. Carry on. ;)
:lol: Okay your free to go for a $800 $2.5grand and I'll buy off you on ebay in few years for $100.00.Watching STAR TREK 1 laserdisc this after and still it bests the bluray I have its like having 23rd Century technology today. :P

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
Andy lately has been sound an awful lot like a certain participant at the Film-Tech web site forum, who posts under a different name. That guy is almost always trolling for flames with anti-Dolby Atmos comments and making himself look like a complete jerk.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bobby Henderson said:
Andy lately has been sound an awful lot like a certain participant at the Film-Tech web site forum, who posts under a different name. That guy is almost always trolling for flames with anti-Dolby Atmos comments and making himself look like a complete jerk.
I don't want this informative thread to regress into a personal discussion about other members.

However, with that said, I do get a sense that we might have to moderate this thread a lot closer if a certain poster continues to rant against this new audio format. We are a home theater-related forum and we don't want to people, who are enthusiastic about Dolby Atmos start to avoid participating in this thread, if the posting environment becomes too negative. This forum is about promoting advances in home theater and the ownership/administrative staff of this forum firmly believes that Dolby Atmos is an advancement of this hobby.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see that Taken 3 like Taken 2 is in Dolby Atmos. However, I'm all "Taken" out so I won't be seeing supposedly, the last "Taken" film. :) However, I'll be there day one for American Sniper. Also, looking forward to Kingsman: The Secret Service another film with Dolby Atmos.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
American Sniper had a pretty decent Dolby Atmos mix, although I wasn't in the best position in the theater to hear it. The show had sold out, much to my surprise. I was with a group of friends and we entered the theater a bit late. Big mistake. We wound up in seats pretty close to the screen. And the screen was pretty big. When it's just my girlfriend and I there's no problem getting into the theater on time and getting a seat in the sweet spot area.

I don't know if all the sold out shows will help American Sniper in the Oscars race, but it might make Hollywood re-think their January scheduling. Normally January is a wasteland of low quality movie releases mixed in with December releases vying for Oscar gold.

The previous night my girlfriend and I watched Selma. There was only half a dozen people in the auditorium. Good movie though.

Looking forward to seeing Kingsmen. We may drive to the Tulsa area to check it out at the new $45 million Broken Arrow Warren Theater on one of its Grand Infinity screens, equipped with 4K laser projection and Dolby Atmos. The theater is even THX certified (yeah, there are some theaters that actually still do the THX certification thing).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ditto. Regarding January box office there have been plenty of box office hits in January such as Sniper, Avatar, Titanic etc..which were December releases. But it's the films that are RELEASED in January that continue to founder , Blackhat being the most recent example. It's still the dumping ground for studios that don't have much faith in their films.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, my showing of American Sniper was about sold out too.

Seeing it at a 6:10PM Wednesday night screening at a not-that-great theater fixes that problem! :lol:

Though for a Wednesday night 6:10PM screening at a not-that-great theater, "Sniper" had a decent crowd - probably about 20 of us...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks