What's new

*** Official DAWN OF THE DEAD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm hoping that Dawn outperforms Passion this weekend - the jokes and headlines will be priceless.

I also hope that Dawn is as gory as Passion is said to be :)

When I originally heard about this remake I was very negative. Regardless of how this movie turns out, I now think that was a rather silly and ultimately indefensible viewpoint. As others have said, the original still exists.

Personally, I think this new Dawn looks to be pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the TCM remake and have hopes for this one.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Does anyone know of a site where one could download the 10 min clip out of curiosity??

Thanks!!

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Read the Miami Herald review, and the reviewer states that James Tolkin and Scott Frank helped polish this script after Gunn worked on it?

Wow.

That actually RAISES my expecatations a little. Frank (aside from Kaufman) might be the best screenwriter currently working right now. Granted, it's only an uncredited polish (if the Reviewer was right) but still..

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
john, john, have your standards dropped that low? A shame. :D

I love it. Couldn't catch the Final Destination preview, so it's great to see what I'm in store for.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
HUGE-ASS SPOIELRS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK:

[Well I saw this film and I liked it. But I didn't love it. The orginal film is my favorite movie of all time so this had some big shoes to fill. They did a nice job of paying respect to Romero's orginal, Ken Foree and Tom Savani even have cameos. I know the end credits said another orginal Dawn cast member was in the film but i didn't see him or her.

First the good:

-the first 10 minutes

-Sarah Polly, Ving Rames and Matt Frewer.

-The bus scene

-The pregnacy sub-plot has a much better payoff here than the orginal.

Now the bad:

-The way they get inside the mall.

-almost no Infighting amongst the humans after the first 45 minutes

-not that many zombies in the mall.

-Too many people in the mall.

-No biker gang

-SPOILER!The way people turn into Zombies. I was VERY dissapointed with this. There is one scene that could've made the movie awesome had they played by the old Romero rules. In this movie the only way you turn into a zombie is if a zombie bites you. If you get shot or die naturally you stay dead. I hated that. The movie would've been much more intense if you turned into a zombie no matter how you die. Plus how the hell was there a first zombie if you can only be one by being bitten?

-Not enough zombies!!!! The first one had wall to wall zombies, this one gives you fast and hard doses. I would've preffered a movie with non-stop zombie action.

Overall I id enjoy the movie but it cannot compare to the orginal. Not one bit. It is enjoyable but it could've been MUCH more. Still you won't be dissapointed, go see it!]

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ray,
Could you spolier tag the end of your post? I didnt want to read it but saw it anyway because of no tags.

Thanks,
Matt

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Ray: Just take your entire post after "BIG ASS SPOILERS and do this

(spoiler)

your entire post

(/spoiler)

replace the parentheses with brackets--change the (these) to [these] and voila--your post will be blacked out.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Wow cool. Well it's all blacked out now. Still go see the movie so nothing will be blacked out.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
At times, especially during the bus sequence at the end, this movie reminded me of Black Hawk Down. Overall, I was really impressed with the movie. I don't think it's as good as the original, but it is fun in its own right. And when you see it, stay for the closing credits.
The opening credits are great, too.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm torn.
I love the original, and Ray's post has me wanting to see the remake less and less. But I needs some zombie action! 28 Days Later didn't do it for me. Decisions, decisions.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I saw it today during the first matinee and I say if you like zombies and nightmare scenerios....see the new Dawn Of The Dead.

The acting and production are fine. You can't beat Ving Rhames playing a cop with a big gun!

The movie quickly takes you into a world suddenly turned upside down for no reason. The movie doesn't really go into why this has happened so fast (a prequel prehaps is needed) but the chararcters are forced to get real real fast.

It is kinda 28 Days Later in one sense....you get the feeling these people have been abandoned and are on their own (you don't know what the powers that be are up to on a national scale).

But this movie leads nicely into what I hope will be the eventual much needed remake of Day Of The Dead or whatever they call it.

I think as a horror movie this one deserves its A as some critics have blessed it (EW for one!)

I give it :star: :star: :star:

It doesn't beat the classic original but does a fine job on its own.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
If Day of the Dead is in line for a remake--someone needs to adapt Romero's ORIGINAL screenplay. Not what was filmed, but his original idea.

Kami

Screenwriter
Wow, I enjoyed this thoroughly. It had everything that makes a horror flick awesome:

-Lots of gore!
-Sweetass zombie deaths!
-Lots of guns!
-Hot chicks!
-Humor!
-Lot's of jumps!

I thought the characters were really well done too. Good writing there.

I was entertained from start to finish and will be seeing it again and buying it for sure. Best zombie movie I've seen!

ps. stay for the credits!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Just got back from seeing it: AWESOME. AWESOME. AWESOME. No complaints. Lots of fun and really entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks