What's new

*** Official DAWN OF THE DEAD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

T.V. Spot for the movie
http://woah.sytes.net/dawnofthedead/newdawn.wmv

Brand new trailer for the movie
http://universal.fanpimp.com/zombiea...34rip&linkID=8

I was lucky enough to see this film about 3 weeks ago on the Universal Studios lot in L.A. It's surprisingly good. Only one thing that I found incredibly cheesy, but I'm not going to spoil it here.

Sarah Polley kicks ass. She is really awesome.

Yes, the zombies do run. I know that it bugs some people. Well, after seeing the film...I'll say that I like slow zombies better....BUT these zombies are extremely menacing and pissed! If they get you in their sights and start sprinting toward you in groups, you don't stand a chance.

Also, talk about violent. Probably the most violent film i've seen in a theater...ever.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm also looking forward to this new Dawn Of The Dead.

I saw the original in a theater and it still stands all these years later as one of the best cinematic moments in my movie loving life.

btw...the original is on DVD.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. On top of that, she is also one of the absolute hottest women on this planet, and a great actress to boot! I'm so pleased to see her in this remake.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I too saw this on the big screen when it came out in 1978. I was 24 at the time and it really got to me. I bought the VHS version on its release and paid about $80.00 for it; that is the most I have ever paid for a film! I am really eager to see the remake and have already pre-ordered the original version Divimax DVD from DDD. March 19th can't come too soon for me.

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
I remeber that I first "Watched" DotD when I was 9, after 6 minutes when the SWAT member shot the guy in the head, I quickly ran away and never looked back, about 5 years ago, I decided to give the movie another try, this was on Halloween night. Needless to say, I quite enjoyed it!.

I'm looking forward to the new version, I hope its nice and scary. I'm not a big fan of Blood and Gore, but I have seen enough in movies not to run away now.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I saw the Original on screen in 1981 at a dollar theater (remember those?) on a double bill along with (get this) Zombie!
Oddly, most guys coming out of the show said that Zombie was better because it had more gore and even though I was a definite gore hound at the time, and I still think the zombies in Fulci's film looked better, I was very much aware that Dawn was the better film both in story, acting & directing....plus the idea of the mall was just so damn neat and original at the time.

DwightK

Second Unit
Saw the original at the Monroeville Mall near Pittsburgh which is the mall used in the movie. Many friends stood in line to be zombie extras during the filming. Yes I will have to see this movie but it will be hard for me to see the Crossroads Mall and the filming being done in Toronto instead of the Pittsburgh area.

Just not traditional enough. Not enough, mind you, to deter me from seeing the remake. I just adore a good zombie movie.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Fulci's "Zombie" has only one thing over DoTD IMHO; the actual zombie makeup. Other than that, I think they are pretty equal. Gore for Gore, they stack up quite well. Fulci equalled Romero's head explosion with the splinter in the eye scene, but, I gotta say, the Zombie shark battle in "Zombie" is priceless.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Comparing Fulci's Zombie to Dawn of the dead is ridiculous. Just because the makeup is better and Zombie has more gore doesn't make them comparable. Dawn of the Dead is a legendary classic.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The part of the trailer with the woman's daughter in the doorway scared the crap out of me. :eek:

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Now, now Rich, I am NOT saying that "Zombie" is a better movie than "Dawn of the Dead!" On the contrary, "Dawn" is probably my favorite zombie movie ever. I am just saying that a couple of things were done better by Fulci, the makeup being one of them. I can see your bias though, what with the Romero name and all. Believe me, everyone who has ever made a zombie genre movie MUST, MUST bow down to the Master......George A. Romero. Please don't get your shorts all in a knot DoTD is, IMHO, the difinitive zombie film.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ugh, first "28 Days Later" and now the "DotD" remake are somehow convincing a large group of people that zombies running is a "new" idea with young kids thinking it's "cool" that zombies are now more badass.

I'd just like to say...."The Return of the Living Dead" – 1985. Thank you.

Having said that, I just saw the trailer for the new "DotD" last night and I'm definitely going to see it March 19th. If it's a hit, will a "Day of the Dead" remake be far behind?

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
As for zombie makeup realness, the remake of Night of the Living Dead is tops. I saw this about a year after I worked at a funeral home and expected to be disappointed, but it is remarkably accurate. And a nifty remake, to boot.

I am with Michael, though. Return of the Living Dead has to be the most enjoyable zombie film and the plot is remarkably tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks