What's new

*** Official "DAREDEVIL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The name drops (of comic book creators who have worked on Daredevil in the comics)
So it wasn't just me that missed Gene Colan's name not being mentioned? He's the definitive artist of Daredevil! I really hope that his name was simply a casualty of being in a deleted scene because there's no excuse for leaving him out and yet name-dropping all those other guys.

Anyway, I hate to say it but I strongly disliked the movie. Worst superhero movie I've seen since Spawn. I felt that by trying to do way too much, it wasn't able to dig into any of the characters or their stories sufficiently and thus none of it was at all fulfilling. After about 15 minutes of the movie, I was bored and nothing could capture and sustain my interest after that.

I did like the opening with his origin. The film still had focus at that point and David Keith did a great job as his father. And the introduction to his new senses was very well handled.

Affleck did a good job as Murdock, but his Daredevil needs to lighten the hell up. Even during the gritty Frank Miller run, DD still had his wiseass sense of humor. They should have let him use that, instead of making poor Affleck growl all the time.

Did Joe Pants really have anything to do with the plot of the movie? I like Ben Urich in the comics but I can't help thinking they should have left his stuff out entirely and given more time to the central characters that desperately needed more development.

Duncan was fine but there simply wasn't enough of him. And the climax with him, like too much of the movie, felt like it was rushed into and therefore became anticlimactic when it happened. The rose thing was lame; I'm not a fan of that sort of thing in superhero movies. Why isn't it good enough to just let the hero and villain kick the crap out of each other based on principle? They always need to "make it...personal!"

Garner I thought should have been a little edgier than she was, but at the same time I think Johnson let her down as the creator of the film. There's such a juicy story behind Elektra in the comics as this fallen, corrupted character, but reducing her to simply being a revenge-driven woman wastes all of that. I feel like Johnson simplified things way too much and we got a far less interesting character and story as a result (of course, I'm thinking this about every thread in the movie). As it is, if I want to see an Elektra adaptation done right on screen, I'll go watch the Faith episodes of Buffy and Angel :)

But anyway, yeah, I wanted to like the movie more but as a general filmgoer I feel like the movie was sloppily written/directed/edited, and as a comics fan I feel that the story was an awful adaptation of some classic stories. Even though I got to see the movie for free I can't help feeling like I'm owed some money back :)

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Surprised nobody mentioned the Jack "The Devil" Murdock vs. John Romita marquee.

John Romita Jr. drew a bunch of Daredevil comics in the late 80's I believe. And he currently draws "The Amazing Spider-Man."

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Romita's dad also drew some old Daredevil comics back in the Stan Lee period. He was the one who made Foggy Nelson fat :)

James T

Screenwriter
I'm curious about the Electra thing as well. I assumed she's alive, but my friends thought differntly. I thought the giveaway was the braille necklace and Matt saying "have faith" right before he finds it.

It looks close but it's not identical. The comic book version has the DD logo centered on his chest and it's larger. It's also simpler in general, looking more like a superhero costume but entirely red, while the movie version looks like a leather biker outfit.
At least it's better than the black/yellow costume in the earlier issues.

I thought the movie played like a video game with bosses at the end of each level.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A gripe: the move was too cartoony for how serious it tried to be (or was it too serious for how cartoony it wanted to be?). Bullseye was evil and killed for petty reasons. But the movie played it for laughs; it reminded me of "Mortal Kombat" going for juvenile kicks from flippant displays of death. I found it very off-putting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For anyone not familiar with the comic source material regarding Elektra:

Spoilers!

Matt and Elektra were lovers in college, and then went their separate ways afterwards as Matt went to law school, and Elektra had family obligations. Flash forward 10 years or so, and their paths cross again (Daredevil #168 introduces Elektra to us by Frank Miller) and there is some re-kindling of the old fires, but Elektra has other plans driven by revenge. Elektra meets her demise at Bullseye's eyes in Daredevil #181. Later Miller brings back Elektra to life in a graphic novel. Instead of her normal red costume, she comes back and wears a white version of the costume in her re-birth, and has been "alive" ever since, and even has a comic book title nowadays, though I don't know much about what's going on in that title.

While the film deviated from the comic source material, I think it would have been better to use the origin of Matt and Elektra's relationship in college as a springboard for a more mature relationship (you'd have to lose the playground scene, but there are other ways for them to tango and earn each other's mutual respect in terms of fighting ability). Having 10 years of "relationship" ground to work with, you have more emotional resonance introduced into the revenge storyline that this film saddles Elektra (and rather abruptly I might add).

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Like others I feel the film was too short. I was hoping for more at the end. I think everything was fine, just the need fo more. The ending was TOOO FAST with Kingpin.

I have a feeling shes still alive and he knows IT along. Funny how they dont show nothing about a funeral, or him going to see her somewhere like a hospital etc.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
The film was very formulaic. It felt as if they had a grocery list of elements to include and once they checked everything off the list, the film ended. Very disjointed and poorly executed IMHO.

Also, the soundtrack was atrocious: head-bangin' dude type stuff the during the whole movie. It captured all the essence and depth of a Mt. Dew commercial.

The most memorable scene in the movie was the playground fight. That was fun. Also, the filmmakers pulled off the hyper-senses of Daredevil fairly well.

That's my two cents.

David

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Yes could someone please tell us (spoilerize if neccesary) the footage after the credits roll? I have a feeling I know what/who it is about, but I want to make sure. I wasn't aware of this footage and left too early.:frowning: :angry:

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The footage at the end was Bullseye in a body cast at the hospital. There's a fly in the room annoying him. Bullseye starts desperately trying to get something to throw and manages to pull a syringe over to him. Cut to the outside of the room and a couple of guards and you hear a throwing sound and the buzzing of the fly suddenly stops. I think that's about it :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got back from seeing DD. So some have touched on this and I guess after the weekend there will be more discussion about it:

did Elektra die or not?

I have to say that I was surprisingly liking the movie and cared about Affleck and Garner's character....then wam.

I knew I cared about them because I was PISSED when she "died"... Didn't care about anything afterward.

Felt cheated....with no payoff. Call me a sucker for nice payoffs.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Tim:There's no way she didn't die...no one else knew about the "braille version" of the lucky charm, except DD and Elektra...so she'll be back!

I thought it was pretty clear (though my wife asked me the exact same question)

I personally thought that was a cool twist, now if that scene hadn't been there at the end...I'd have been pissed too! :)

-Dennis

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
This is the Discussion thread for "Daredevil", spoiler tags aren't necessary. Anybody that reads this thread without seeing the film first, does so at their own risk. Now, if this was the Review thread then the use of spoiler tags is a requirement if the revelation of certain plotlines will impede the enjoyment of those that want to read some reviews first before seeing the film.

Crawdaddy

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Jennifer Garner has already been in negotiations to portray Elektra in her own spin-off series if DareDevil does well, which it looks like it will, considering it made $15 mil on Friday.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
so i guess Elektra trained herself to stop her heart from beating? i mean that was the only way she could have fooled Daredevil that night into thinking she was dead, right?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The idea could be that she was revived by paramedics that came along with the police. Then her rescue was kept quiet to protect her.

//Ken

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
i mean that was the only way she could have fooled Daredevil that night into thinking she was dead, right?
No, she really died in the comics so it's possible that they'll be following that same story with the movie. She dies, is brought back by The Hand, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks