1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Official cover art for the Jack Benny Lost Episodes DVD Set from Shout coming on 7/23/2013

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by rmw650, Apr 5, 2013.

1. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Rob_Ray likes this.
  2. darkrock17

darkrock17 Well-Known Member

Andrew McClure
    Hopefully well get more details soon, especially if there will be any special features.

3. Travis87

Travis87 Well-Known Member

Travis
    Cool. This is probably my most anticipated release this year.

4. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Well-Known Member

dan olson
    Ditto. I wonder if the family (daughter Joan) have any involvement. Like everyone, am waiting with bated breath on show info, source and extras (if any)....

5. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this release immensely

6. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I just put my order in. This is one of top releases of the year for me.

7. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
  8. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    On a footnote to my post..it seems like this title will be a Shout Exclusive for one month and then hit retailers a month later, but all the details are in the press release, including the extras and such.

9. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

All of these episodes are ones that were not filmed shows that were part of the syndication package so these will all be new viewing for me. The Harry Truman one I know was released poor quality as a public domain release once, but I have heard that the original videotape of this broadcast still existed and I hope that's the source used for this release.

Nice to see a couple of the NBC specials released as well. I hope they're uncut since they had music performance in a number of of them.

10. FanCollector

FanCollector Well-Known Member

Lee
    Thrilled about this release, not least because the Dick Van Dyke episode (which sounds terrific) is missing from all the episode guides I have read, so I didn't even know it existed. Am I the only one who wasn't aware of that show?

11. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Does anyone have any knowledge what the origin of this set is? Are all of these shows ones that haven't been in syndication. How did they choose which ones to include.

12. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

It looks to me like they were purposefully picking non-syndicated ones because all of those, one must presum are part of a general package of shows.

I hope the NBC specials are uncut because the entries don't even touch on all the guest stars who were part of those specials. "Jack Benny's New Look" had Nancy Sinatra and I believe Gregory Peck as guests too while the "Second Farewell Special" also had Johnny Carson and Jack Webb and Harry Morgan (the latter two reprising their Dragnet roles for the last time; a clip of this was included in the Dragnet S4 set)

Never mind, now that I think of it, those specials couldn't possibly be uncut unless the disc squeezed six hours of material onto it. Those items are clearly excerpts only.

13. Travis87

Travis87 Well-Known Member

Travis
    These are definitely not part of the syndication package which consists of about 104 episodes. The press release simply states that excerpts from the primetime specials are included as a bonus, though there are very high quality complete copies of most or all of them on youtube. I put in my pre-order with SF to get the bonus episode of Omnibus.

14. DeWilson

DeWilson Well-Known Member

Denny
    There are shows that were shot on video durring the transition of live to film, so I wonder if some of the later shows are those.

15. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    It's new to me, too. It's strange, but true that this episode is missing from every episode guide on the Internet. They all go directly from January 22, 1963 to February 5, 1963 so I assumed the show was pre-empted the night of January 29 for a special.

Even TV Tango has blank spaces for most of the CBS schedule that night:
    http://www.tvtango.com/listings/1963/01/29

I'm frustrated because I have lots of TV Guides from 1963 but not the one from that week. Also I can access the New York Times online through my library, but there was a newspaper strike in New York from Dec. 8, 1962 until Mar. 31, 1963, so I can't check the TV listings for January 29, 1963 that way, either.

The episode sounds like a satire of a mystery, but it's a mystery in itself!

16. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    I wanted to add something to my message above, but I don't see how to edit messages, so I'll say it here:

I just checked Dick Van Dyke's list of credits on the IMDB. It shows many TV appearances, even guest appearances on game shows, but no mention of The Jack Benny Program at all! So the mystery continues ...

17. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

No mystery at all. I just looked up a newspaper dated January 29,1963 through the subscriber based www.newspaperarchive.com and it says plainly in a listing for Jack Benny "Dick Van Dyke is the guest star."

Imdb is not always complete on everything (and often can be wrong about a lot of stuff).

18. FanCollector

FanCollector Well-Known Member

Lee
    Thanks for checking, Joe and Jack. I'm glad you found the listing, Jack. The episode has been missed in a lot of guides. Besides the IMDB, it was absent in the TV.com guide, epguides, two or three other online lists, and Joel Eisner's Episode Guide to 153 TV Sitcoms in Syndication (an excellent reference book).Since we know the episode is on this set, and since Jack found a record of it airing as a regular episode of the series, does that mean there are 259 episodes of the series, as opposed to the 258 shown by all the episode guides lacking that segment?

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    This doesn't solve the mystery as to why every single episode guide omits that episode. I'm wondering if a rerun was substituted at the last minute because some legal problem arose, as had happened to Jack Benny with his infamous "Gaslight" satire. If that's true then maybe this DVD release is the first time the episode has ever been seen -- but if that's the case I'm sure Shout would have said so.

Don't pay any attention to me; I don't know what I'm talking about.

20. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

I think they omit them because the way they were compiling their episode guides was to rely on the resources where it wasn't indicated. In this case since the New York Times, the easiest source to consult didn't have a listing, they assumed there was no episode.

I've seen episode guides of other shows make this kind of mistake in the past. It's nothing new.