What's new

*** Official CONSTANTINE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I saw the film yesterday as I'm currently in Seoul, South Korea and the movie has already opened here! I've never read the comic book, so I can't compare, but I think most people will be satisfied with the movie. I agree that it made me want to know more about the comic. The Korean audience seemed to enjoy it as well.

The visual look of the movie is great, especially the scenes set in Hell. The script had a few slack points but was fairly intelligent and depicted Constantine as an ambivalent and fairly dark character. As a former theological student, I thought the movie had a fairly interesting worldview that probably came directly from the comic.

The acting was solid, including Keanu, who actually hasn't given a really terrible performance in years and should be cut some slack. I especially liked Tilda Swinton as the androgynous Gabriel.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Saw it last night...this film, simply, ROCKS.

I liked it a whole lot, and plan on going to see it again on Monday with a director Q&A.

I've only read one Hellblazer graphic novel. Bottom line - this film goes with a different take on Constantine. He's American (Keanu doing what he does best), he does use the auto-crucifix to blow away demons, and some other differences. But, that's ok. You've just got to realize this is not the Constantine of the comics.

The film is very dark and gritty. I'm glad they didn't hold back. All the performances are great - I also like Swinton's Gabriel and Peter Stormare is the BEST Satan on-screen EVER.
The pace is slow and deliberate - something I appreciated. But, there is plenty of action and humor along with the scares.

Just a great movie - really taking this genre to a new level. Heck, maybe making its own sub-genre.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wow, even though I was looking forward to this film, I didn't expect these kinds of reviews for a February release. Now I'm really pumped to see it!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like it might be a nice little action/comic surprise, some decent buzz is around it at the moment. After the trailers I was expecting what Holadem said earlier "a shallow CGI fest". I've never read the comics so I can't be disappointed with how far it deviates from the source.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Meh.

I'm split right down the middle on this one. I thought it had some great, fascinating, thought-provoking and visually splendid stuff...and it also has frequent doses of unintentional humor, pretentiousness and narrative confusion (especially in Act III). Certainly worthy of a look if you're already interested in the movie, but nothing likely to make your year-end top twenty, either.

Plus, and I don't necessarily mean this is a criticism of the film itself, it really should not be marketed as an action flick. It really isn't. (Not in my book, anyway.) More of an Angel Heart with lots of FX than it is a Matrix with angels and demons. Let's just say it's not exactly "action-packed" - although it's hardly boring, either! There are, however, a few scenes that take place "below" - and they're just brilliantly cool.

I'll be giving it 3 out of 5 stars, but I'm curious to see the movie again. I think a second look may help me to solidify a worthwhile opinion.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I edited for what Scott thought might be a spoiler. Sorry about that!

I do agree that the film holds a bit of pretense, Scott...but narrative confusion? I'd have to disagree. It doesn't bother to fully explain ALL the rules and mythology - preferring action to speak louder than even MORE exposition. This is already an exposition-heavy film, so I think that is a wise choice.

I would certainly agree that you may NOT be thrilled with this film if you're expecting an action flick. It is not that. I'd call it horror-action-thriller, because there IS action, but as you said it is not the focus and there is not one big sequence in it.

It's early...but, this film may very well make my top 20. I found it to be well made, smart, and intriguing. Something I find in so few genre films and even fewer horror or comic book films.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well for one, I am glad it isn't action packed.

Still, I am all kinds of confused at this point... it ain't doing too well at imdb and rottentomatoes.

My cautious optimism has taken a bit of a hit, but I have resolved to see it for myself.

--
H

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I've been watching my Buffy dvd's lately and I'm convinced that Anthony Stewart Head could have nailed the role if anyone had considered him. He has a very weary but dangerous vibe when he wants to tap into that. Of course, it helps that he's a middle-aged British guy whose character was partially ripped off from Constantine, like a Constantine who had more or less reformed instead of turning into a total bastard :)

I want to give a Keanu a chance because I like the guy but I have to admit that what I've seen of him in the clips I've watched doesn't encourage me.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
If we get this to be the official discussion thread, we can get into some possible spoiler details...

John Chow

Second Unit
Damn...I just saw this today, but didn't stay for the credits although I normally do. Can someone fill us in?

btw, having no prior knowledge of the comics, I thought this movie rocked. Story flowed together pretty well, special effects were good, and quite a few creepy moments.

I thought Keanu was able to pull of the part fairly well with only a minimal number of wooden lines :)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I was dismayed to see that most major reviewers gave this such low marks.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but for gods sake the nytimes said this was worse then van helsing.

I am starting to think a lot of respected critics go into the theater with their review already written and just pay attention enough to confirm their preconceived views.

In the nytimes review he complains that its directed in glossy music video style.

Now the film has some impressive visuals, but when I think music video style, I picture constant cuts and attention deficit style editing. The movie clearly was not and I think the reviewer noticed this was a first time film from someone that started in music videos, so he had to throw that comment in there. He also complains this is the exact character from the matrix. Again Constantine is a bitter man who has seen it all (despite Keanu's limited range I thought he conveyed this) and in the first matrix Neo is a character caught up in a totally new world.

Again everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if anything I could see someone being bored by the movie but to call it an utter failure seems to be a stretch.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Benson,
While I wasn't in love with the film, the director did an excellent job. While it was stylish, he didn't let those visuals overpower the story. It was a strong debut from a music video director, frankly.

I also think it's been fairly harshly reviewed. It isn't an Oscar nominee, but it plays pretty fair, has a strong narrative thread, and decent performances.

I agree. I can see folks not liking it, but it's a more than competent picture.

YMMV,
Chuck

MattGentry

Second Unit
Did anyone else absolutely hate Shia LeBouf's character? I don't know, something about his acting was just annoying to me...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Constantine" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Constantine" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks