What's new

Official Confirmation: SW Episode III DVD on November 1st (1 Viewer)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
The last time I went to a Wal-Mart late at night/early in the morning for a new DVD, coincidentally enough, was exactly a year ago tonight for, coincidentally enough, the original trilogy. (My, how time flies.) They already had several mass displays out, and had already been picked-through somewhat, shortly after midnight.

The times before that where I went in during the middle of the night, looking for a lower-profile title, I usually left empty-handed. "We'll put 'em out when we get to 'em in the morning." Eventually I quit going there during off-hours for lesser-known titles.

So yeah, I think the bigger the release, the better the odds of them putting it out close to midnight. Sith will be one of the biggest releases of the year, so I'll expect my store to put them out pretty early. The Office Space SE, due on the same day from the same distributor, will probably not be as easy to find at the same time, I'd wager. . .

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hate the idea of exclusive content DVDs for any retailer. I didn't go to Best Buy when they had exclusives for the Star Trek TNG and DS9 releases, and I won't be going to WalMart for the ROTS exclusive. That, combined with my distaste for WalMart in general, means that about the only thing that's going to get me to buy an exclusive is if it was deleted scenes from the original trilogy or the original theatrical cuts of the films.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The OS has an Hyperspace set diary update("Shifting in the Force)

In the article it confirms a second deleted scene of Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Mace discussing the Dark Side of the Force and Palpatine. Now, if you read the script that was released on April 2nd, that scene was not there because it had already been cut and the dialogue had been used elsewhere(The Jedi War Room Scene), but the scene was in the novel in great detail.

But the real treat is that they have a nine picture gallery that shows shots of the deleted scene and A SHOT OF THE DIGITAL REPLACEMENT OF THE YODA PUPPET IN EPISODE I.

It looks fantastic and we see a bit more of the process of replacing the puppet on the Episode III DVD!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The puppet in EI was the nadir of SFX in the saga. Truly incomprehensible. It's replacement is a good thing, and should make those scenes much more tolerable.

Don't know if it'll warrant a repurchase, but it's nice to know they recognize how out of place Yoda looks in EI.

V/R,
Chuck

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I still think it'll be two years before we actually see it.

As far as the DVD of Episode I is concerned, it warrants a repurchase because of the transfer. It'll be the worst one when it's all said and done.

But again, we're two years away before all that happens.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw those Yoda pics too and it looked great! I've never been that bothered by the Yoda puppet but now having seen the CG Yoda in its stead it's a new story:)

It's too bad that we'll almost definitely be waiting until the 30th anniversary set to see it in the movie.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Yep. But, at least they worked on it. I was never bothered by it as well but considering how well the Episode II and III models worked, why not make it consistant in throughout this Trilogy? Makes sense to me.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for a new transfer of Episode I with the digital Yoda. Even though it's my least favorite of the 6 SW movies, I'd still love to have it with a better presentation and the ridiculous puppet removed. :emoji_thumbsup:

EDIT: Just saw the pic of digital Yoda inserted into Episode I over at MF.com. It looks freaking AWESOME!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ep. I is the weakest of the saga for sure, but I would easily repurchase for a number of reasons that some have already said. Yoda being replaced is a biggie. Chuck is right...how that puppet EVER cleared ANY production meeting still puzzles me. The other is the Edge Enhancement. Not a factor some of the time, but believe me on a front projector it is very distracting and pulls me out. In fact, I prefer the noisy but more natural looking laserdisc for the image.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I too echo Sam in hating "exclusive bonus DVDs" I can't count how many times I subwayed down to Best Buy only to go on some wild goose chase for a stickered box only to be told they were already gone. :angry:
If content was produced, give it to us! I would like this disc but is it worth the extra dough, $10 more compared to say, Amazon's price? Hmmmm......

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I think that the problem with the Yoda puppet in Episode I is that they tried to make his 'flesh' look more realistic. I think that they did that BUT the problem is that that isn't what Yoda looks like. Yoda looks like latex :)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Hey Tim,

Don't you think that Episode II needs another transfer?

Now, it may just be me but comparing Episode II and III digitally, Episode III looks much sharper than Episode II. Episode II, while beautiful on DVD, is very soft at times. Now, it is a love story so that might have been on purpose but it's soft compared to Episode III.

More than likely it hss to do with the cameras. I know the cameras on Episode II were first generation HD cams. I know the Episode III HD cams were a huge step up. Could they possibly sharpen Episode II through digital manipulation on another transfer?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Before everyone goes crazy over the digital TPM Yoda, I have to point out that it is currently just an ILM test that will be included on the Episode III DVD. Will George Lucas eventually apply it to the movie itself? We all know that's incredibly likely, but there are no future editions of the "Star Wars" films coming out in the near future.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Can someone PLEASE provide a link to that pic of digital Yoda? I tried and tried and could not find it! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks