What's new

*** Official CLOVERFIELD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Yeah, we were already clapping at how good the movie was. Once he introduced himself and the rest of the cast, we all basically got up and gave them a standing ovation for a job well done. After asking us how we liked the movie, he asked for one question from the crowd. Someone from the back asked what exactly was the monster to which he replied, "We don't even fucking know". :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this and really enjoyed it. There's some conceits that you just have to live with so there's a movie (no one would keep taping that long) but it's still a heckuva good time.

I love that you only get the most basic info about the characters and, I'm sure it'll be frustrating to some, that you don't really get any really glamour/show off shots of the monster. You know as much as the characters do- almost nothing.

As for motion sickness, I sat in the very back and I only had a slight headache by the end of the movie. Looking at the commercials and hearing feedback, I figured that I was going to puke so I got off lucky. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought some of the people in the film acted pretty dumb to me and we're just asking to die. With that being said, I was entertained by the film.

Crawdaddy

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If this is a big hit, will there be a sequel? One possible way to do it, would be to tell the story from another point of view, perhaps the more traditional omnipresent view point.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
People do really irrational things during crises, especially if they have guilt on their consciences. I don't think Rob would have been anywhere so determined if he and Beth had left things on better turns.
When stuff like that happens, you're a hero if it pays off and a fool if it doesn't.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well, if it's going to be a hit (as the opening day's box office take suggests. And if this thread is any indication, there will be good word of mouth) how could there not be. The cool thing is that with this film, there are many different angles a sequel could take. Especially the "Other point of view....at the same time approach" I liked how this film kept things very ambiguous, but a the same time, I am very curious about many things and wouldn't mind seeing more explanation. Even if it's in a more typical Hollywood monster movie sense. I don't get bothered by sequels as much as many because even if it's horrible, I know I'll always have the first film. And obviously if Abrahms is involved. We know he's no hack at this point.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While I liked the film, there was a collective groan at the end from the audience in attendance at the showing I saw yesterday, so I don't quite think the word-of-mouth is going to be glowing praise across the board, we'll see next week when we see what the weekend-to-weekend box office drop percentage is (I predict it'll be around a 60%-70% drop).

As far as a sequel goes, perhaps this snippet gives a small clue (it's at the end of the film, audio played backwards):

Cloverfield whisper reverse: listen online

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I went to a 1:20pm showing and it was about 1/4 full. The audience seemed dumbfounded about what they just saw. They were quiet and it took a good minute while the credits rolled before anyone got the courage and got up to leave.

My opinion, this was a great monster flick. I really enjoyed the high intensity of the pace. I did have a headache after leaving the film due to the camera work, but i'm willing to look past that.

I don't think we needed that much character development at the beginning of the movie, I would of liked to see the attack begin sooner, it really seemed to drag the first 15 minutes.

One piece of advice I took away from this movie...always follow the rats!

Paul

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I really liked the movie but I'm surprised that there's as much goodwill as I'm seeing because the crowd I saw it with seemed mad that they didn't get a complete explanation of what the monster was. As the credits rolled, I heard lots of "Well, what was the monster?" and "It was dumb that they didn't say what the monster was." It seems like people really do want everything spelled out for them.

Maybe some idiotic and unnecessary exposition scene with an army scientist stating precisely where the monster came from would make the movie have better word of mouth. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Same at my viewing an two of my Co-workers were not too impressesed. But the Average movie goer has to have the ending spelled out for them, they had to see the monster die and know where it came from, they can't handle having an ending where you have to imagine what might have happened. I knew as soon as the camera got broke the movie was over. Good camera thou it took a beating.:laugh:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The other weird thing at my particular theatrical viewing was that it seemed like it was 80/20 as far as the split between men and women in attendance (it might have been 90/10).

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I think that would not be as good just because it would kind of defeat the purpose of the movie. It's supposed to be a tape from the Department of Defense recovered from the area "formerly known as" Central Park, and nothing else. By adding an explanation it would detract from that purpose.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I totally agree. Like I said, very effective. But I did leave thinking that there is a lot of of potential for some sort of companion film. But we'll see what happens if this film really does have legs

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One would think that given similar fan frustration about the "monster" at the beginning of Lost, that Abrams would have known this would be the reaction. People watch/read a mystery to see it solved. Not just to waste a period of time and not know anything more at the end than when they started.

It's like cutting the last 5 minutes of every Scooby-Doo episode. ;)

todd stone

Screenwriter
in the coney island scene near the end... flashback w/ camera - something falls in ocean ppl saying it was egg or something... like that is what it came from

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks