What's new

*** Official "CITY OF GOD" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Amazing Film...I almost shrugged this movie off worried that it was a rip off of many American films. While he did use many ideas of other American film makers he was unique enough that it was hardly noticeable.

One of my top 3 for this year!

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Traffic said:
Although all the acting were strong throughout, a nomination would be a real surprise. The portrayal by Leandro Firmino da Hora who played 'Lil Ze' was most memorable. I haven't seen a more menacing, cold-blooded, and psychopathic hoodlum since Larenz Tate's performance as Kevin 'O-Dog' in Menace 2 Society.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Quentin, I go by the Oscar standard for Best Film, not Best FF.
It really bugs me that the Academy passed on this film as a nominee.
I'm with you guys in hoping for a push come next fall, and I agree that da Hora would certainly be worth mentioning next Dec as a runner. Script and direction are in the same league as Talk to Her, so the quality/ability to be nominated is at least there.
Release date seems to be the one barrier for this film.
I was going to go see it again but it got pulled too quickly. It's rare for me to be thinking about a 1 week turnaround on seeing a film, usually only special blockbusters or films that grab me cause me to do that. In that respect this caught my attention in a way similar to Fight Club. I wasn't fully expecting to be that impressed, though I was certainly interested. I left the theater thinking that maybe I should just go right back in.
I love getting that feeling. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I rarely give out 4 stars (out of 4) for my ratings, but for films like "City of God" that can capture not only my attention for the entire running length of the film, but also capture my imagination afterwards, I wholeheartedly give films like COG 4 stars. Otherwise, I will deduct stars for films that don't quite hit me on multiple levels (given me something else to chew on days/weeks after I've seen the film).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
City of God is getting a 2nd run here in Indy, now down at the Keystone Cinema (keycinemas.com). It hits the screen there on April 18th.

Indy people, don't miss this chance. I plan on going twice. It was killing me that it got pulled after one week and I only got to see it once.

Arman

Screenwriter
Finally saw City of God (A+) yesterday. WOW! Great film, fantastic cinematography!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not out on DVD yet, I don't think. It's probably still picking up the occasional booking at repatory houses, though.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I read that Harvey Weinstein/Mirimax wants to re-release it around December for Oscar contention.
Fortunately, I read that Cidade de Deus is to be released on August 25th, unfortunately not in America. The reason I think this is significant is because R2 and R4 versions are already out. Perhaps Mirimax is capitalizing off the R1 elsewhere, then will release it early next year here after its re-release.
-Bert

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Just saw this great film, last night and it is brilliant!
It plays alot like a Brazilian Pulp Fiction, with some really cool editing.
But here is my question; In the cinema we saw it in, the screen looked like it was a 2:35 screen, but there was still black bars on top and bottom! Does anyone know the apec's ratio of this?
Might get the R2 DVD UK that comes out on the 9/22

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
But here is my question; In the cinema we saw it in, the screen looked like it was a 2:35 screen, but there was still black bars on top and bottom! Does anyone know the apec's ratio of this?
The aspect ratio is flat 1.85:1 hard matted, so it appears that you saw the film projected in 2.39:1 scope!

Jason

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Thats a bit weird, thanx!
Sligthly of topic but has anyone seen Lilja 4 ever?
What a brilliant film! Even though depressing!!!

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Bringing this thread back up since the great news of its four Academy Awards nominations. See 76th Academy Awards Nominations.
I'm fortunate enough to have the R2 City of God DVD so I'll be giving it another viewing over the weekend. A must mention is the excellent documentary on the DVD that features the real favelas where it serves to compliment the film as a reflection.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
This film remains in my top 3 for the year. Brilliant filmmaking. I saw just a few films more than once this year (in the theater that is), the Matrix films (I'm the rare fan there), ROTK, and City of God.
It's extremely unusual for me to return to the theater for a non-blockbuster film, that's how blown away I was by City of God the first time.
I honestly think it will win Best Editing, and it may have a shot at screenplay or director too. ROTK may be on course to win the big one, but sometimes the Academy will use the other awards to spread it around, or more likely they just simply don't feel obligated to assume that the Best Picture involved the best of everything else too. As much as I appreciate PJ and ROTK, I have to say that CoG was in some aspects superior to ROTK.
I would easily give it Editing and Direction over ROTK, even though I love ROTK and would give it Best Film.
But the best news from all of this is that the film that was lost on most of America will see a little bump in interest now.
Each year only 1-2 films (if any) really affect me so that I leave the theater blown away and changed. CoG was that film this year (like Run Lola Run, Pulp Fiction, and Trainspotting before it for other examples).
Also, hands down the most amazing use of "Kung Fu Fighting" you could ever imagine. :) The tension and power when that song comes on is incredible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Harvery Weinstein was reported (from salon.com) to say that "City of God" will be re-released in 200 theaters next week, and then 500 theaters the week after next. Please go see the film if you can, it's an amazing film.

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
I know that there's an official "City of God" review thread but this is not a review, so...

I'm just sharing with you guys my joy of seeing the 4 nominations the movie got. Right before starting this thread I read the reviews here and was shocked at the positive reaction from people, I never thought this movie would be "big" in the US.

After watching it at the movies right when it came out I impatiently waited for the DVD to come out and as soon as it did I bought it. It has some great special features like the acting school Meirelles set up for the majority of the cast which had never done any acting before and some good 2 hours of interviews. About a month ago I read that they are coming out with a 2 disc special edition in 2004 that will have even better special features and now with the nominations I think that will probably happen.

Regards,

André

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Harvery Weinstein was reported (from salon.com) to say that "City of God" will be re-released in 200 theaters next week, and then 500 theaters the week after next. Please go see the film if you can, it's an amazing film.
Yes, but did he give it any pre-Oscar support? I honestly don't know but I would have found it annoying if he did not, and not exactly a smart move either considering the fact that the Oscar noms have to greatly increase the films potential income.

In the other thread I wasn't just trying to defend Harvey, but also simply discuss what defines "bad" behavior for a producer. Of course there is bad for audiences and then there is bad for the production company. It would seem like not promoting CoG for a nomination would be bad for both since it would limit the exposure.

But then again if you thought the film had no chance then why spend money you will never get back, that's bad business. Maybe Harvey greatly underestimated the value of the property he had.

And that is one problem I would be willing to concede he might have, the sometimes incorrect valuation of the properties he is working with. City of God was nearly a disaster in how its "dual" Oscar seasons were run, or so it seemed to me on the outside.

Was he pushing the film in the trades at all? I know some people here subscribe to things like Variety or live in the area, so maybe they can expand on the pre-nom support the film was getting (or not).

On the flip side, the Academy has given him a reason to rerelease it (ie, make a buck) so they should be congratulated on getting a great film back in theaters.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

He obviously underestimated it. He dumped the movie out in early 2003 on very few screens with very little publicity despite the film showing up on several Best of 2002 lists due to festival showings. As I said in the other thread- that is not how you treat an Oscar contender. I'm not sure what his motivation was for buying it but his initial release plan and reluctance to put it on DVD seemed to assume that he didn't think he could make any money off of it. I'd be very interested to find out if there were any For Your Consideration ads run for it in the trades. I'm willing to bet that everyone at Miramax was stunned at its nominations. They probably had to remind themselves that they owned the distribution rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks