1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official CARS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MatthewLouwrens, May 23, 2006.

1. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

2. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Just got home from the premiere. I'll type more later, but I really enjoyed the movie and the evening was a lot of fun.

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Ebert and Roeper call it another home run and a worthy addition to the Pixar library.

4. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

(Marks down another Pixar movie to get on DVD late this fall [​IMG] )

5. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Kevin,

My 3 yr old loves the trailers and so I'm thinking that I might want to take him to see it. But he's very sensitive and easily upset so I'm sensitive to anything that might be too intense/scarey for him. The only movie he's seen in the theater is Curious George and at home, he's allowed one hour of tv per day which can be either PBS or Veggie Tales, so he's not been exposed to a whole lot. Is there anything in this film that might be scarey or too intense for a child under 4?

6. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

It seems a lot of you have written it off because the movie is about cars. That's too bad. The movie is not the best Pixar movie but it is still very good. The audience I saw it with responded very well to it. Lots of outbursts of laughter and some good character moments. Can't wait for the dvd.

7. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

I am also considering taking my 3 year old daughter to see this (her first trip to the theater!). She loves Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo so I'm hoping this one will be about the same tonally as those three.

8. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't have kids myself, but I don't recall anything that I think would be too intense. There is an accident in the opening race scene, but no one really gets "hurt". No weapons of any sort and never a real sense of danger. Definitely more like the previous Pixar films and not like the Incredibles.

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Screenwriter

With the price of gas skyrocketing and more science is proving the global warming phenom... why would PIXAR think a movie about talking cars (that guzzle gas) would be such a great idea? Product placement dollars??

I see Owen Wilson's character is sporting Goodyear tires. Couldn't they have used "Lightyear Tires" instead? You know, Buzz Lightyear?

The trailers are leaving me cold. This probably is no A Bug's Life,Toy Story 1 & 2, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., or The Incredibles. It looks like the most by-the-numbers plot they've done yet.

Dan

10. Michael Coate

Michael Coate Stunt Coordinator

11. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

While I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Cars this weekend, it's only at 75% at Rottentomatoes, which is low for a Pixar movie.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I've also been surprised that the reviews have been lukewarm, but am looking forward to seeing this nevertheless. Visually, it looks simply stunnning.

13. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Some of the reviews seem as though they are just "my chance to break from the crowd and bash Pixar"

Oh, so "The Incredible" was a foreteller of crap?

I watched "Cars" last night and LOVED it. It's a movie with a good heart and a good general message for young kids. In comparison to the last animated flick I saw in the theaters "Over the Hedge" it's superior by leaps and bounds.

14. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

Then skip it.

15. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

The Wall St Journal review points out the plot is "Doc Hollywood" all over again, but did find some of the visuals stunning.

16. Quentin

Quentin Screenwriter

Quentin H
    I thought Doc Hollywood was cute, so this should be entertaining.

I immediately write off anyone who thinks "The Incredibles" was a 'foreteller of crap'. Puh-leaze.

17. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

Agreed, Quentin. In fact, I think THE INCREDIBLES is Pixar's finest film...which is saying A LOT.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Every trailer and commercial I saw for this movie just left me thinking "Man, this doesn't look very good". Still, I went out and saw it this morning and it's great. It's not Pixar's best but it definitely stands with the rest of their work.

I never should have doubted Pixar's ability. [​IMG]

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Yes, they do share similar storylines, but of course, A Bug's Life was just a rehash of Seven Samurai.

Anyone who complains about the predictable, trite story misses the point. This movie DOES offer a tired plot, but it throws out so much great comedy and heart that I don't care. It's a very fun flick...

20. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Well, the Italian car is the same one driven by Lupin III in Castle of Cagliostro, which is directed by Miyazaki.

I also do not understand all the negative reviews. Cars may not the be on par with other Pixar films like Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo & The Incredibles, but it's still an enjoyable film with the trademark Pixar heart.