What's new

***Official CABIN FEVER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I thought about checking this out, but I despise Horror/Comedies... I have heard there is intentional comedy in this movie...

Is this like Evil Dead 2??? I couldnt stand that movie... I just hate Horror/Comedies...

I will probably wait for the DVD...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
There is definitely comedy in the film, but it's not a Horror/Comedy ala Evil Dead 2 or AoD.

You should really go see it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This film blew me away! I haven't been this pleased with a horror film since 1999. I really hope this does great at the box office, as it is more than deserving. Check out my review in the review thread BTW.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to wait another couple weeks and see it again.

This film deserves the promo given to Scary Movie, because it is simply another comedy. I wish I had known this from the start, because I would have enjoyed the bits far more had I known what I was about to see. Do not expect to be scared or to see a twist. You can see every move coming from a mile away and at times they spend a good 3 minutes focusing on Cerina Vincent's plastic ass just to make sure you got the clue. As a comedy with horror bits I found it enjoyable, but it was a major disappointment that a flick being billed as a horror was barely as frightening as Scary Movie.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
You can see every move coming from a mile away and at times they spend a good 3 minutes focusing on Cerina Vincent's plastic ass just to make sure you got the clue.
First off, it wasn't even one minute, much less 3. Also, Roth said that the ass shot is his THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE homage, and I figured that out from the preview because of the familiarity of the shot. Lastly, if you're implying that Cerina has had plastic surgery, you're quite mistaken. She is 100% natural, and even if she wasn't, I could care less anyways.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As a comedy with horror bits I found it enjoyable, but it was a major disappointment that a flick being billed as a horror was barely as frightening as Scary Movie.
Hyperbole anyone?

The movie had comedy, but Scary Movie...c'mon!

Wow, what a big disappointment this film was. I was expecting to be scared out of my wits, but didn't happen. The story was decent but way too many holes.

How did the dead dog get the disease? It was obvious to me that this disease had been around for some time. Remember the lady slaughtering her pigs, she was upset becasue this kept happening.

I think this film barely fell into the genre as a traditional horror film would. It felt like a Sci-Fi/Horror film more than anything. Horror only because of the mild gore. For those of you who have seen Evil Dead, this movie can't touch it. Evil Dead is a true horror movie classic. Cabin Fever is not.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That isn't exactly a plot-hole, it's more like an unanswered question that the film asks. Just like 28 Days Later never commenting on the world post-virus, or even where the virus first came from. Just because the film doesn't answer all questions doesn't mean it's full of holes.

Also, if you go to a film thinking "I'm counting on this being a classic just like Evil Dead," you're probably going to be disappointed.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Just like 28 Days Later never commenting on the world post-virus, or even where the virus first came from.
Well, not to get off the topic, but in 28 Days Later, they do imply that the virus was man-made and intended for the purpose of studying rage ("To eradicate something, you must first understand that thing," or the lab guy said something like that). Not that I really care where these viruses come from. That's a different story to me :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well, not to get off the topic, but in 28 Days Later, they do imply that the virus was man-made and intended for the purpose of studying rage
:b :b

I'm not exactly sure why I wrote that, I saw 28 Days Later three tiems, and I knew exactly how the virus came to be.

(smacks self in head)"Think before you post, Matt!"

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Also, Roth said that the ass shot is his THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE homage, and I figured that out from the preview because of the familiarity of the shot.
It's also reproduced in the trailer for the remake :)

I really liked Cabin Fever a lot. While the movie does have a quirky humor to it, I didn't think it at all detracted from the film as a horror story because I still found the movie pretty unsettling. I thought the movie did a great job of establishing and maintaining an atmosphere of wrongness, and it's probably my favorite "germ" movie now :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This movie was awful. Actions and subplots that went nowhere. Stupid decisions and actions on the part of the characters. Schizophrenic screenplay that couldn't decide if it wanted to be a horror film or a Zucker spoof. For those unfamiliar with how discussion threads work, the following contains spoilers:
  • One character becomes infected, so they confine her to an old shed. Yet at every opportunity they're opening the door, grabbing her, moving her around, getting her blood all over themselves. Real smart.
  • What happened to Grim? He was in the cave, but did he die from the infection or did his dog kill him?
  • What was with his dog? Was he just hungry or just psychotic? I assume psychotic since there are other things to eat in the woods besides people.
  • What was with that little box that the flat-top hillbilly was dragging around?
  • There was no reason for Paul to poke that body with a stick other than to set up his fall into the reservoir. How predictable.
  • Karate-kicking pancake boy? WTF?
  • Paul finds a lighted house in the middle of the night. Instead of knocking or ringing the bell, he goes peeping into all the windows and gets what he deserves.
  • What was the deal with the pig lady (other than to identify Henry)?
  • Were the pigs infected? It didn't seem like they had the same symptoms as the people.
  • Bert was just an asshole through and through. Why would they even bring him anyway? I was hoping the dog would get him.
  • If the sheriff was so concerned about the disease spreading, why would he let Winston just dump Paul in the river?
  • Jeff's "I made it" speech at the end led to another very predictable outcome.
  • That whole thing with the rifle in the store was unnecessary. But for those who were tickled by it, be sure and stay to the end of the credits.
  • Why did Henry keep poking the rabbit at the dog in the beginning? It was quite obvious from a distance that the dog was dead, and had probably been dead for a while. It certainly didn't look like a "fresh" or living thing.
  • That deer was quite an obvious fake when it fell to the ground off the hood of the truck. Someone in props needs to study more about carcasses hitting the pavement.

I did like the fact that after Jeff suggested they make a sign so people would know not to sit next to the weird kid, that there was a sign there later in the film when Bert got there. I got a small chuckle out of that. Otherwise, :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I'm now afraid to watch "May," another Weinberg rave, which I purchased blindly. :D

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
SPOILER

Why did Jeff go back to the cabin? He runs away during the movie to get away from the infected only to return? Is there some reason that he did this that I missed?

Also, this movie seemd alot like Dreamcatcher to me.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'll answer just a few of those questions, as the others are just you're opinions and I'm not gonna argue them.

That deer was quite an obvious fake when it fell to the ground off the hood of the truck. Someone in props needs to study more about carcasses hitting the pavement.
Deer didn't look too fake to me personally.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with Justin on most of the above points. Let me talk about a couple, though...

Winston seemed pretty dumb, and the sheriff asked him if he disposed of the other guy, so I'm sure he didn't know how he did it.
Definitely. Since they burned the other bodies, I figured the Sheriff would have assumed that Winston would have done the same...but as evidenced by every single thing Winston does in the film, he is a fucking moron and screws it up.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
This movie was awful. Actions and subplots that went nowhere. Stupid decisions and actions on the part of the characters. Schizophrenic screenplay that couldn't decide if it wanted to be a horror film or a Zucker spoof.
That's odd. Those are the exact same reasons that made me love it.

DJ

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Wow, what a big disappointment this film was. I was expecting to be scared out of my wits.
As an adult I dont find any movies that truely scare me. To be scared out of my wits is an awfully bold statement.
Ive seen movies like Poltergeist or The Others that are chilling and a bit freaky but I dont know how many people (except young teen girls) that are actually "Scared."

I liked the film. It was a good low budget throw back to the early 80 slasher flicks even if there wasnt a killer running around, or should I say a human killer.
I thought it was better than some of the Big Hollywood Scare fests that are released by The Big studios. Movies like The Haunted or Darkness Falls.
The only thing that bothered me was the dumb sheriff people and the party police man guy.
What the?

Saw some good previews too of the Alien Directors cut and Gothika. Also a new one coming out with DeNiro called Godsend about cloning a child who died.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've got a free afternoon on Tuesday. On a scale of one to ten, what's the gore quotient? If I find an answer I like, there's 5 more bucks to the coffers.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I've got a free afternoon on Tuesday. On a scale of one to ten, what's the gore quotient? If I find an answer I like, there's 5 more bucks to the coffers.
Hmmm...on that scale I guess I'd give it a 7. It's pretty gory compared to most contemporary movies I've seen, but I didn't think it was the all-out splatterfest some people were hyping it to be. It shows you enough to give you the idea and then simply moves on, as opposed to the more violent movies that were coming out during the 70's and 80's, which took pains to show you absolutely everything in exacting and quite prolonged detail. If you've seen May, I'd say the level of goriness is about the same as that.

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Saw it yesterday.. I liked it. Alot of it is pretty hysterical, intentionally I believe.

"Why do you want to kill squirrels?"
"Because they're gay!"
"Naw I'm just kidding, I'd kill them if they were straight too."

Classic... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks