What's new

*** Official BURN AFTER READING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was unintentional, but seeing James B. claim it's not as good as Intolerable Cruelty raises red flags. I want the movie to be good but the trailer doesn't do much for me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
He really liked Intolerable Cruelty, which is the only Coen Bros movie I dont like.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
But is it the same type of comedy like Raising Arizona, or Hudsucker Proxy (if you've seen them?) or a bit more serious?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"..including what I think is one of the funniest single shots in the history of motion pictures."

:emoji_thumbsup:
Cant wait.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Like so many (most?) Coen Brothers films, it's a little hard to categorize this one. It's not the same kind of comedy as "Arizona" or "Hudsucker." Really, if you can imagine "Blood Simple" done as a black comedy, then I think you have "Burn After Reading."

PS -- Just watched the trailer. It makes the movie look a little more giddy/silly than it is. It's really a bit darker than it appears there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Burn After Reading". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Burn After Reading" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
This:

Plus the top-heavy credits from the film ADVICE AND CONSENT

plus this:

equals

I don't mind the film hommage but ripping off Saul Bass' work for the film poster? Seems a bit much.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
So, what did we learn? :D :emoji_thumbsup:

I thought JK Simmons' character was the perfect illustration of why our government is trillions of dollars in debt.

Tom Kirk

Agent
Real Name
Tom Kirk
Although I enjoyed the film, it's not going to be moving into my Coen Top 5 list.

A personal great moment for me came after the theater was empty, AKA, the closing credits.
The Fugs are singing CIA Man from their first album. That's always easy to remember, it's called "The Fug's First Album". Mostly recorded in 1964.
Tuli Kupferberg wrote the song and sings the lead vocal.
It's live, there's applause at the end and someone yells out, "Tuli!"

I met Tuli, 40 years ago in a Hollywood motel pool.
His introduction was, "Hi! I'm Tuli Kupferberg, the world's oldest rock and roll star."
He was then and he is now.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Coens are my favorite filmmakers.

It was enjoyable but also one of their most forgettable endevours.

Brad and George Clooney were both very funny. Clooney with those quirks.

But Id place this pretty low on their list of films.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I have to admit, that this was one of the worst trailers ever. It made it seems like the film was a laugh-a-minute type of movie when it was anything but. In reality, the first hour+ of the film was a dramatic set-up for the final 30 minutes of comic hilarity. There were definite comedic moments before that, but they were mixed in with high levels of drama and even moments of tragedy.

I was actually disappointed at about the one hour mark and was ready to put this near the bottom of my Coen film list, but the last 30 minutes really rescued the film for me...and I would not put it firmly in the middle of their filmography, well ahead of Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty (which wasn't that bad either).

My favorite line was Malkovich's near the end.
"You're a member in a league of morons!"

Oh for the opportunity to use that at work!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Had a blast with this. Some in my audience thought it ended abruptly, but I thought it was a pretty good ending. Maybe the CIA-paid-for, enchanced Linda would have been a fun sight. JK Simmons has this kind of character down to perfection.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Other than JK Simmons's character, I didn't much care for the movie. The characters just acted way to out there.

Joel C

Screenwriter

Who said that? I can't imagine what show that would be, though BAR certainly had some funny moments (poor Chad).

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
The film left me cold. I did not connect to any of the characters. It also felt to me like the characters were made to be odd just to be odd. I know that is somewhat expected in a Coen brothers film, but it didn't feel natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks