What's new

***Official Blu-ray insiders thread (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dave, a reliable (he's reported accurate release information in the past) retailer who posts in the Blu-ray.com forum says Crimson's new date is February 5, 2008.

PG, echoing my post #6, I hope this BD will include the theatrical cut and the seamlessly branched extended cut as well.

paidgeek

Insider

Making Blu-ray discs is a many step process, but the key steps are film transfer/digital intermediate to create and HD master, compression for audio and video, authoring including menu artwork, and replication. There is no "re-format" going on. If the only video master of a film is standard definition, then the film needs to be transferred again in HD resolution. Doing all of this correctly is expensive and time consuming, but the telecine/DI process is re-used for other distribution like HD broadcast, and in the case of DI, for the film release itself. For more detailed info, wikipedia is a good resource.

paidgeek

Insider
We generally try to include the original mix for Blu-ray whether it is mono, stereo or what have you. We can do the same for Tommy.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Duh yeah sorry--"blond moment." Crimson is of course a Disney release. It's going to be interesting to see whether the longer AND theatrical cuts are included. If Remember the Titans and Enemy Of the State are precedents though, it will unfortunately just be the theatrical.

This is an excellent opportunity for Sony to distinguish itself on its BD releases of titles for which there have been more than one cut released on SD. ;)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Paidgeek,

Thank you so much for your participation here.

I was amazed at the transfer on Black Book. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it is a terrific film with near flawless video & audio.

My question is in terms of films aquired by Sony from foreign studios, how difficult is it to get ahold of the original elements? Does SPHE do their own scan or are the scans generally done overseas?

Thanks!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You are a BAD BAD man Jeff Adkins, I had not heard of Black Book before today. So I looked it up and it sounds like a really good movie. So now because of you I have to put another Blu-ray title on my want list. :laugh: ;)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's a great film and as I said before, the disc is stunning (in both video and audio). Hope you like it!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
warm welcomes, paidgeek =).

just 1 question: when is lawrence of arabia debuting on Blu-Ray?

paidgeek

Insider

I am happy to participate on the forum, but please excuse my delayed responses...

In answer to your question, all the possibilities you mention happen. It depends on the deal and when the deal is made. This is at least in part why some titles look exceptional and others just so-so. Lately some of the best masters have been coming from Sony Classics acquistions. Keep and eye out for "Jane Austin Book Club" and "Sleuth". They are both reference quality masters.

paidgeek

Insider

I would like to say soon, but I just don't know. It has been seriously discussed for 2008, but we want to make sure it meets everyone's expectations...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
PaidGeek,

I could easily look over my huge collection of Columbia sDVD
titles and pick out those that I feel are most deserving of being
released to Blu-ray because of their notoriety or visual appeal
to the format.

Unfortunately, I'm at work and can't do a quick scan.

However, there are two very distinct titles that come to mind
that are personal favorites: Glory and Leon: The Professional.

Hope you will consider these for release sooner than later.

Finally, I want to officially welcome you to HTF. I know where
you have been before and I can promise you that you'll find
our members to be highly respectable and that you should feel
very comfortable here with us.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the HTF, paidgeek. I'll try to refrain from turning this into a wish list thread, but since Ron mentioned a couple of titles I have to mention at least one title. :) I'm pretty sure that 2046 would look amazing on Blu-ray.

Anyway, no specific questions, just welcome to the HTF.

- Walter.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Hi Paidgeek, thank you for joinnig this great forum!':emoji_thumbsup:

I really appreciate your continued effort to provide us accurate technical information on SPHE products and listenning to our concers.

I'm very curious about sampling rate for Sony's DTHD BDs and I believe this is of interest to a lot of other enthusiasts.

There's seems to be too much confusion or mis-information regarding the implementation of DTHD tracks on SPHD BDs.

From what I gather, this is what we have:

Ghost Rider - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/20
Stomp The Yard - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/20
The Fifth Element - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/20 upsampled from 48/16
Immortal Beloved - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/24 upsampled from 48/16
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/24 upsampled from 48/16
Spiderman - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/24 upsampled from 48/16
Spiderman 2 - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/24
Spiderman 3 - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/24
Surf's Up - DTHD 5.1 @ 48/24

I have no information regarding how the ones bellow are (will be) presented.

Hostel
20 Million Miles to Earth
Paprika
The Legend Of Zorro

Can you please take the time to help clarify this matter and confirm if this is indeed how the discs are presented?

Thank you for your attention

(I've shot you this question beforein another forum, but I'm not sure you actually got to see it.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Me too. Glory is my favorite movie of all time and one of a tiny handful of films I'd upgrade from DVD without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks