What's new

*** Official BLADE TRINITY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer the original over II. There is an overcast of phoniness in the second installment that I found distracting. For a movie shot "on location" in Prague, the number of scenes shot on sets dislocated this movie from reality for me. The thing I liked most about the first one was the lack of fantasy in it's look. Now, certainly, towards the end, a lot of what I liked went out the window. The meat packing plant, Whistler's lair and several scenes shot outdoors all gave the impression that all the stuff that was happening was based in reality. That's what makes it seem all the more bad-ass for me. As a side-note I've noticed several movies with a similar kind of phoniness that I can't quite put my finger on. Hellboy, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Van Helsing all remind me of the distraction I felt with Blade II. Now I know I've got some overlapping directors here. But I still can't figure out why these films look so bad to me. Anyway, Blade Trinity doesn't look too good to me, but I find that previews rarely give an accurate portrayal. I can still hope.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
It's funny how Ebert brings this up as if it's a devastating and obvious plot hole:

Let's see, Roger, maybe it's because the Night Stalkers would simply go wherever the vampires are?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I liked I the best. II had a good setup but there was no payoff in the third act. The bad guys turned out to be pretty lame.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
James was kinder than I was. I don't mind all-style action, but Goyer is no Norrington or del Toro. A major misfire, but maybe I am alone in that. I doubt it :frowning:

For the record, I loved Blade and liked Blade II quite a bit.

Buyer beware,
Chuck

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
You confirmed my worries, Chuck. Ever since this project was announced it has had me suspicious and when they told us that Goyer would be directing I had a feeling it would sink the series, still I had a little hope. Then came the trailers, none of them impressed me at all. As soon as I saw Blade with two hot young sidekicks my hope for this film was pretty much killed and for the record I thoroughly enjoyed the first two installments, the second more so than the first.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Sorry to hear your disappointment Chuck. Looks like I will give this one a pass.:thumbsdown:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
No worries, Lou. I was sorry to experience my disappointment :D :angry: :D

I actually thought the trailers were OK, Nick. Goyer, whose scripts for the first two were effective, seemed an odd choice, but I was willing to give benefit of the doubt. It was just dull and overly formulaic (which is saying quite a bit). It also features some TERRIBLE performances and story coincidences.

I did see a few decent trailers :)

Oh well,
Chuck

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Oh Batman, right? Get over to that thread and post your impressions.:D Now there is a comic adaptation that actually seems to be making all the right moves.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Batman?!?! I wish. I would have reviewed THAT if I had seen it :) Likely they decided to save that for Ocean's Twelve...no need to infect it with Blade Trinity thoughts :frowning:

Trust me, Nick, if I had seen that trailer...HTF would know.

The New World (by Malick) looks very promising, and surprisingly enough, I liked the trailer for Constantine.

xXx xXx, or xXx2, or whatever...not so much :|

Take care,
Chuck

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I agree but if you want to talk about Ryan Reynolds.... :)

The review in the S.F Chronicle today was good but said it was more humorous. They also gave high marks to Ryan Reynolds.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Well, I'll see it this weekend...for better or worse.
Has anyone picked up the soundtrack? I'm a big fan of the first, and like the 2nd (love Mos def's 'I Against I'-I remember the Bad Brains version) but am curious about Trinity.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If you look at the film as a comedy, it does a fair job. I just don't think that's what people were expecting; the humor really hits later in the film, but there are some great undertones right off the bat for dark-humor fans.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Blade Trinity" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Blade Trinity" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well, like I said in the review thread, I enjoyed it. It was funnier, in a good way, than the 1st 2, most of the casting was good, and the fight scenes were great. Biel and Reynolds brought a freshness to the film and they worked well together. I'm now hoping for a Nightstalkers film.

The 1st film had a better story and better pacing, the 2nd film had a much darker tone and a cooler villain, and this film had better acting from the supporting cast and better fight scenes so I enjoyed all 3 about equally.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I just hated the way the vampires have been devalued so far they don't even offer stiff opposition to the humans. Weren't they supposed to be faster, stronger, etc.? They didn't look it. Blade hits a vampire, he goes through the wall. The vampires can't even hit Whistler's daughter and when they hit King, he barely winces. :thumbsdown:

James T

Screenwriter

I hated that too!

Personally, I think the script needed a rewrite or two to polish up the little things. There were a few scenes that I would have left as a deleted scene on the DVD. I also didn't laugh as much as I hoped. I had maybe two or three lol moments, but Goyer seemed like he was trying for every other frame to get a laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks