What's new

Batman Begins (2005) (1 Viewer)

paul_v

Second Unit
I just listened to the score of the film without watching the movie. Zimmer and Howard did a fantastic job. The score is so different than Elfman's score that it's hard to compare the two. It makes me more hyped for the movie =)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Batman Begins" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Batman Begins" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

Bought the score yesterday. Reminds me a bit of a more organic (less synthesized) Blade score: much more about setting tone and atmosphere than about creating recurring themes.

There are unmistakeable Zimmer and Howard moments, but they fit and are not overwhelming. The two composers really put themselves in service to the story.

It's what I would call good "background" music - good to have on as you're doing something else, but it's not meant to be what you focus on alone.

11 hours!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bassheads are going to love the DVD because the Batmobile can rumble with the best of them.

The audience, at the midnight showing I attended, cheered when the criminal asked "who are you?" and Bale utters "I'm Batman."

This Batman is simply ferocious when he has to be, and plays on fear to get the answers he needs.

This is a loud film, the gunshots sounded unlike any gunshots I've heard in film or on TV.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
It appears that the producers of Batman Begins have not only bothered to carefully study the original comics featuring Batman from the 1930's, but probably studied why Frank Miller's Batman: Year One was so good. :emoji_thumbsup:

I am definitely going to see this film in the next few days. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ray's comments move me to comment thusly: Despite all the popular revisionism about this character, Bob Kane's original Batman from the 1930s was hardly a "dark creature of the night." Really, this "dark knight" obsession did not take off until that Frank Miller graphic novel. But the comic books from 1938 on through the 1960s? Very little of the darkness that has come to be attached to the character.

Based on all the reviews (especially Ebert's), this looks like the first Batman-related movie I could get into.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about that. I just got done a couple of weeks ago rereading the early Bob Kane issues and back then, Batman (or rather, "the Bat-Man") was a pretty mean dude, always willing to blast a crook with a gun or snap the neck as soon as disable him, and there's a great deal of horror movie/German expressionist imagery (for all its misguided faults, the first Tim Burton movie sticks pretty close to this). Even when Robin is introduced and Batman gets noticeably more friendly, they're still casually knocking crooks off skyscrapers.

I think what the post-Frank Miller stories introduced was a world that wasn't dark so much as endlessly bleak, to the point that no one's allowed to show any emotion except anger or depression, and Batman has pretty much turned into an insufferable asshole.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Really, this "dark knight" obsession did not take off until that Frank Miller graphic novel"

People think Miller reinvented Batman, making him a dark character, but its not true.

I remember reading comics during the 70s and early 80s - before Miller that were dark,scary,and twisted as hell.

I had some 70s issues that scared me as a kid.

Miller given credit for turning the character around but The Neal Adamas and Gene Colan issues were favs of mine and some of those issues came close to being horror. (At least thats the way I remember them. Might see it different now that Im older)

While other heros were fighting guys who were meglomaniacs, bent on world domination Batman was fighting psychopaths.Disturbing villians with serious mental issues - and who wielded knives and axes.Look at these covers.....
http://www.genecolan.com/batmancovers.htm

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Found this in the REVIEW thread. Am I wrong or has a major plot point just been SPOILED?

I know very little about Batman character and was hoping to go in completely green :angry:.

--
H

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
That prob should be in spoiler tags in the review thread. I suspected this "plot point" because of something I read, but wasnt sure.

I tried to stay spoiler free for this film too.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

There was a great Batman cover from the late 80s or early 90s... featured an over-the-shoulder perspective of some thug holding a knife in front of a frightened woman...but reflected on the knife was the image of Batman leaping for the criminal.

Was awesome, and from what I've read, the movie seems to be in the same vein: Batman turning fear back on the criminals.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
H,
You got screwed a bit. I avoided these threads today for just that reason. But it's a minor point.

I do intend on involving spoilers in here, so BE FOREWARNED. Mayer's post have spoilers, damn him!

I disagree with James B. take on Holmes. As the "love interest", she's not meant to click with Bale. As I said in the review, her character was fine.

I would have liked Gordon to not the "Gimli" of the series. He's much too good a character (and Oldman far too talented an actor) to not use a bit more intelligently.

Staying spoiler free for the film really helped me.

Great film, I look forward to the conversation.

Take care,
Chuck

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just got back.
leaving the show, i was tempted to duck into Mr & Mrs Smith, a film i would like to see eventually, but i came to the conclusion that BB just stuffed me like a turkey dinner.
i'm full.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

only one real surprise after spoiling myself with the script- and thats just how affecting the material with Wayne Sr and Alfred was to me.
even though its done in pretty simple, broad strokes, whenever "your father" is referenced again (and again and again) it resonated with me.
i believed that Bruce would look up to this man, and not only that, but the way that others looked up to him would have an effect on Bruce.
it was also a very smart move to make Bruce feel guilt (and not only justifying that from a childs pov, but in weaving that with the whole bat-motiff...bloody brilliant i thought) over their deaths and not just unresolveable anger.
that may have been the key component for me buying the lengths the guy goes to in the begining of the film.
just as having Bruce's fear of bats be the inspiration for the symbol he adopts, rather than the "criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot- so my disguise must strike fear into them... a bat! thats it!."
in this regard, the bat becomes a symbol of a character arc.
Bruce conquers a childhood fear that had taken on grandiose implications (if anyone had a cause to be superstitious of bats, its Bruce).
i dunno if the 'purists' will be annoyed, but i for one have no problem with the 'event' that brings the Waynes out, not being the Mark Of Zorro.
that was a sound concept for the comics, but the way it plays out in the movie is far richer thematically.

although i do understand some reviewers (most notably the ones over on CHUD) complaints about the second half being far weaker, it did work much, much better for me than Spider-man's 2nd half debut.
ironically, if there is a weak link i see, its that, just like in Spider-man, there is a costume that just will always look pretty damn silly in full light.
although unlike Spider-man GG costume, its only a distraction here when he is having a conversation with someone.
there isn't a very well defined line that i can see, between Batman having a conversation with Gordon on the porch, or Rachel on the roof, or him showing up at a charity benefit.
the grandiose costume just seems foolish and over the top in all cases.

but the biggest complaint i had afterwards, was exactly waht i had feared when reading the script- the one-liners SUCK.
and they suck because they are ususally out of character, or just plain witless.
i can buy the car chase, and the roof hopping, but hearing a cop ask "what am i supposed to be looking for" in regards to a high speed chase is just lame.
and not funny.
Gordons "i have got to get me one of those" was equally insipid and better left for something like ID4.
lines like that were beneath this film.

one other thing- beautiful use of titles.
i was expecting a big bombastic opening titles showcase and when it didn't come i was thrown, however when the words Batman Begins finally do come up on the screen at the endof the film, my first thought was "Indeed!"

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I tend to agree with Paul's nits...except the costume. Bale sells it. In full light, it can be silly. Which is why the director did his job ;)

The one-liners seemed like they belonged in a different film. And seemed odd coming from Oldman. They weren't terrible, just out of place.

I also agree that I missed "The Mask of Zorro" a little, what tooks it's place improved the character. That says a lot for the pre-production work on the character.

I can't emphasize again how important Linus Roache's small role as Thomas Wayne served the story. The trifecta of Roache, Bale, and Caine really sold Bruce Wayne's choice. Over and over. Three best performances in a film of excellent performances.

And lastly, to Bale. I merely mentioned him in the review thread, knowing I'd come back to him. I could care less if this film makes him a "star" (and I think it will). He took to the character in a way that showed understanding, not blank reverence or apathy. I wanted him for his talent and physicality. But he delivered a lot more. I didn't see Bale...just Bruce Wayne. That level of acting is rarely seen in these "geek" films. It should be treasured when it is.

Worth the long wait. Worth the psychological scarring of Batman and Robin.

The next few years will be a bit of a wait.

But probably worth it.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks