What's new

Official Atmos Home Theater Thread UPDATED With First Impressions (1 Viewer)

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Connie E said:
I do not really understand the technical issues, but I've been browsing on Google. i think it's interesting
o.png
What technical issues about Dolby Atmos are you not understanding?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be researching technical issues with Dolby Atmos but would appreciate anyone here that knows giving me a heads up on some of the issues.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
OK I've started down the Atmos path. I just retired my Denon AVP-A1HDCI (its on eBay with 5 days to go) and am replacing it with a Marantz AV7702. Based on my room layout and the large soffit I will need to go with in ceiling speakers over Atmos enabled models. I currently have a 7.2 and will be heading to a 7.2.4.

The theater is in the basement and a lot of effort went into sound control. I have two layers of drywall suspended from RISC clips and hat channel. This means I don't want any speaker drivers exposed into the ceiling area, I want only sealed speakers. Atlantic Technology had some sealed box models from a few years ago that would have been perfect (I have an 8200 system) but are discontinued. I will have to do some research on the best options. I'm thinking maybe Triad or Axiom as they both have sealed models, but I'm not sure at this point.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
Is the 7702 going to get the "DTS X" update? (Since the DTS press release was today)
That's the $65,000 question. It may behoove you to wait til March when DTS does its full press release.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
I haven't actually read the release...I just know the "usual suspects" were included. No product itself was mentioned.
March's official roll out will bring you more details.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hopefully the rumblings I'm hearing on the wholesale end regarding 4K projection, end up being native.Sad when a company rep sends you an email about upcoming 4K...and you shoot back with "Native, e-shift or upscale?"...And the response is..."Oh...uh...let me check..."

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm waiting for the AV8802 to be confirmed for DTS-X and then i'll be upgrading from the AV8801. Sadly, my HT is on the first floor and cabling is going to be an absolute bitch.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I find it interesting that there are still no recommended Dolby Atmos (R) ceiling speakers listed on Dolby's website. Probably due to the desire to push as many of the "enabled" designed speakers (assuming there's a patent on one or more of the design technologies bringing in money), but honestly, these have to be inferior to dedicated ceiling speakers. There is inclusion on the website of setup layout for ceiling installation. Keeping the ceiling speakers in the front L&R plane, seemes to be the important setup consideration:

atmos.png

I'm just wondering how much longer, or even if, Dolby plans to endorse any ceiling design. Not that their recommendation is needed to go ahead with an installation, but they have taken it on the chin over the enabled designed speakers problems compared to separate ceiling speakers.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
schan1269 said:
If Dolby "approved" in-ceiling speakers, I would die laughing.

That would be a bigger joke than THX certifying computer speakers.

They've approved these little module speakers that are supposed to bounce sound off a ceiling (!), why would a ceiling speaker design approval be more ridiculous? :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While Dolby Atmos is still something I am looking to include in my upgrade plans I can see a problem already! While currently Dolby Atmos is the only immersive object based audio format and Auro upgrade that can be purchased. We are also supposed to see DTS-X coming out this year even though I have yet to see any advertisement for it. Each immersive object based audio format, (Dolby Atmos, Auro and DTS-X), seems to have a totally different speaker layout than the other. So I see a huge problem with where the speakers are placed. The question is will it be a problem or is there an easy solution where to place the speakers in the ceiling so all three formats will sound right when played back on a single speaker layout. By the time a receiver comes out with all three built in we should know if there are any issues with playing back formats that are meant to have different speaker configurations.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dave Moritz said:
While Dolby Atmos is still something I am looking to include in my upgrade plans I can see a problem already! While currently Dolby Atmos is the only immersive object based audio format and Auro upgrade that can be purchased. We are also supposed to see DTS-X coming out this year even though I have yet to see any advertisement for it. Each immersive object based audio format, (Dolby Atmos, Auro and DTS-X), seems to have a totally different speaker layout than the other. So I see a huge problem with where the speakers are placed. The question is will it be a problem or is there an easy solution where to place the speakers in the ceiling so all three formats will sound right when played back on a single speaker layout. By the time a receiver comes out with all three built in we should know if there are any issues with playing back formats that are meant to have different speaker configurations.

You're forgetting that DTS's debut announcement for X is TOMORROW at 2:30 Pacific Time.

DTS:X may, depending on the device, have built-in speaker re-mapping. If you choose to design a theater around Dolby Atmos, DTS:X soundtracks should work just fine.

Yes, there may be a recommended dubbing stage, cinema auditorium, and consumer speaker configuration that DTS has come up with, but there is one point their CEO continuously makes: DTS:X and DTS MDA (the commercial object audio format) are layout agnostic... unlike Atmos.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dr Griffin said:
They've approved these little module speakers that are supposed to bounce sound off a ceiling (!), why would a ceiling speaker design approval be more ridiculous? :)
Because, by default, every single speaker mounted to a ceiling...

Is Atmos already.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
schan1269 said:
Because, by default, every single speaker mounted to a ceiling...

Is Atmos already.

I guess so. They have recommendations or endorsements for every other type of speaker on their site, but not ceiling speakers. I guess if they are endorsing the Dolby enabled speakers, the recommendation wouldn't mean much anyway. I'd like to hear their thoughts on downward firing, and some you can aim the entire speaker module at the listening position, and others just the tweeter. I'm mainly talking about in-ceiling speakers rather than ceiling mounted speakers.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Okay, so my friend Joe is hilarious, and has been keeping me laughing for years. Here's a recent e-mail exchange.

Joe - "I bought a new tv yesterday for our family room. TV speakers obviously aren't fantastic so I need new sound, but haven't done much research on that front. Wanted to see if you had any good feedback."

Me - "Soundbars are probably easiest. Alternatively, you could do a standard 5.1 setup"

Joe - "I'm between soundbar and a 5.1 setup right now. I'll probably end up doing a bar because it's just cheaper, doesn't require a receiver or wires. I really don't feel like running wires. I was debating wireless surround. My third option is I have a ceiling fan directly over top the couch. So I could do Atmos and attach a bunch of speakers onto the fan blades and keep it running on high during action movies."

Hilarious! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks