What's new

Official Atmos Home Theater Thread UPDATED With First Impressions (1 Viewer)

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
I also have a question about which Atmos Config would be most appropriate for my room size? I have a 14'x13'x9' room. I'd like to go with the 7.1.4 setup but wonder if it's even feasible to do this many speakers in a room this small? If I can make 7.1.4 work great, if not, I may go down to 5.1.4.

Thoughts anyone?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Let me start with an apology - I have been completely ignoring the Atmos sphere of influence (SWIDT?). I'm being forced to reckon with it as a few Redbox rentals recently relegated my Dolby 5.1 setup to defaulting to NEO DTS, etc. Is this something that can be remedied with a setting on my receiver? The disc I watched last night was the Mission Impossible Rogue Nation and in the disc setup it had many foreign language 5.1 options but only Dolby Atmos for english.

Thanks for indulging someone who should know better.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
ChristopherG said:
Let me start with an apology - I have been completely ignoring the Atmos sphere of influence (SWIDT?). I'm being forced to reckon with it as a few Redbox rentals recently relegated my Dolby 5.1 setup to defaulting to NEO DTS, etc. Is this something that can be remedied with a setting on my receiver? The disc I watched last night was the Mission Impossible Rogue Nation and in the disc setup it had many foreign language 5.1 options but only Dolby Atmos for english.

Thanks for indulging someone who should know better.

Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray is encoded as an extension of the TrueHD lossless codec piggybacking as an add-on file. It is compatible with stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 setups as before.

DTS: X works the same way using Master Audio lossless as the carrier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hopefully a quick question:

I'm still thinking about a 5.1.4 Atmos setup for the basement. (I don't think a 7.1.x is practical for my room.) I've got an 8' 6" ceiling and plan to hang four SVS Prime Satellites. Is this an ok idea for Atmos use? Or is hanging conventional bookshelf speakers recommended against, and I should consider in-ceiling speakers (I've got a finished ceiling and and this would be much harder to accomplish).

http://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite

Thanks for any insights.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
DaveF said:
Hopefully a quick question:

I'm still thinking about a 5.1.4 Atmos setup for the basement. (I don't think a 7.1.x is practical for my room.) I've got an 8' 6" ceiling and plan to hang four SVS Prime Satellites. Is this an ok idea for Atmos use? Or is hanging conventional bookshelf speakers recommended against, and I should consider in-ceiling speakers (I've got a finished ceiling and and this would be much harder to accomplish).

http://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite

Thanks for any insights.

A lot depends on the size of your room. In a fairly small space, the Prime Satellites should work, but may quickly become overpowered in a larger listening area.

The larger the speaker and more bass response, the better. The wider the dispersion of the monopole drivers, the better. Dual concentric designs can work quite well for overheads.

There are a few speakers out there (as examples: JBL Pro's cinema line and Tannoy's DS outdoor line) that have built-in adjustable brackets making them easier to mount on the ceiling and aim them accordingly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The total space is about 900 sq ft, with the front two-thirds for the "theater" space; but it's all open. The Atmos speakers would be about 5' over the seated listeners' heads.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I would be tempted to just go with Atmos Enabled speakers over that option. Those will probably hang down 12 inches with brackets. How were you planning on getting speaker wire to them? If anything cutting large speaker holes in the ceiling makes it easier to run wire.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I'm getting ready to install ceiling speakers I just have one thing I have been trying to figure out. My ceiling has a slight angle angle maybe 5 degrees. Not sure how it would effect the sound. Any thoughts?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
DavidMiller said:
I'm getting ready to install ceiling speakers I just have one thing I have been trying to figure out. My ceiling has a slight angle angle maybe 5 degrees. Not sure how it would effect the sound. Any thoughts?
Probably not much. A lot of ceiling speakers have the ability to aim the tweeter, you could always use that to compensate if you felt you needed to.

acatrg

Auditioning
Real Name
Aran
Hi all,

Its been really interesting reading all your views and opinions on atmos.

Im currently undertaking a dissertation in surround sound formats and what the future could be for these. I've put together a quick survey (about 7 or 8 ) questions to see about peoples feelings are with these formats. It would be great if you could help and spare a couple of minutes to fill out this survey. It would help me greatly and it might just be interesting for all of you too!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GZMtUEr4tqlEEnOPYCrNFRgZEhgh-ZES-mCKHJD9K6I/viewform

Thanks!

AC

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just a heads up that the mods and owners give a thumbs up on Aran posting his survey here. As always such endorsement is with the caution to not share any info you arent comfortable with, and if you have any concerns we might not be aware of please PM me or email [email protected] and they will get it sorted for us.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bumping this for a couple of points.

- War for the Planet of the Apes is still the reigning Atmos home track
- Blade Runner 2049 give war a run for the money with deep and sustained bass, but War beats it on Atmospherics
- Do NOT discount Cabin in the Woods because it is 'just' a horror movie. If you haven't seen it you are in for MAJOR surprises. This movie isn't what you think it is and the Atmos track is AMAZING.
- Cloverfield Paradox launched on Netflix last night with a supert Atmos track. Check it out!!!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bumping this for a couple of points.

- War for the Planet of the Apes is still the reigning Atmos home track
- Blade Runner 2049 give war a run for the money with deep and sustained bass, but War beats it on Atmospherics
- Do NOT discount Cabin in the Woods because it is 'just' a horror movie. If you haven't seen it you are in for MAJOR surprises. This movie isn't what you think it is and the Atmos track is AMAZING.
- Cloverfield Paradox launched on Netflix last night with a supert Atmos track. Check it out!!!!
It would be awesome it Netflix Atmos was actually available to Netflix subscribers.

“The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
2017 LG OLED TVs”

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:unsure: $300 is extremely expensive for a Netflix streaming box!!!

Would much prefer Netflix get its stuff together. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought it was just LG and forgot Xbox is too.

Yeah I'm not buying xbox just for Netflix Atmos

Dont understand why it's not on other devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks