What's new

Official Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
boo no verizon. i had .0000001% hope in my heart it would happen. but i did know better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am a bit underwhelmed -- only because I have upgraded my
iPhone every single year and almost each time it has cost me

$500 or more to do so.

So, I have to look at all these enhancements as whether they

are worth $500 or not. I mean, most of the enhancements are

in the OS itself which will be available for the 3GS.

The enhanced display is a great feature. However, for me,

the big announcement was video calling. The downturn is
that it can only be done with WiFi which is pretty limiting if

you are out on the road.

I am thinking perhaps to sit this phone out another year and

wait for AT&T to upgrade its networks to 4G in which the next

iPhone (and probably this one) will have the capability to use

the cellular network to make video calls.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Going back to non-iPhone related updates (of which there were none), I'm starting to think that maybe Apple is settling into a rhythm here with their seemingly now-annual Buy A Mac For School sales which happens in June, where you get up to $199 back if you buy a qualifying Mac and iPod, and using that as a way to clear inventory for hardware upgrades in the fall. I think they did that last year and perhaps the year before?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My wife is the iPhone user in the house. I'm sure she'll update the OS, but this isn't a must get. While the videochat thing is neat, it's WiFi only (for obvious reasons) and ibooks isn't a killer app. Assuming that at some point Apple will put out one with more memory and support for either LTE/WiMAX (next year I assume) she'll probably wait for that, because when 4G comes, then she'll definitely want to upgrade. It's hard to push an upgrade now when she knows another one has to be coming down the pike, and that one is the one she needs.

I think if this had added more memory, that might have been a good upgrade option and then you could wait on LTE, but it's really hard to get none of those things and snap it up.

The front firing cam only really matters for video conference, and since that's wifi only, it's going to go unused.. a lot. I don't know, there aren't enough new changes or anything that stands out to the extent that becomes a "must have" when you know you'll want LTE in a year. A lot to ask for cost for something you know you will have to replace.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The new iPhone itself looks pretty sexy, if you forget about the OS updates and functionality, as a thing, it's pretty nice. Of course, I design things, so for me, I look at that side of it.

Endgadget has some hands-on time with the iPhone 4.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by mattCR

But sam, most of the functions (outside of ads) won't have a point on a hardware device that doesn't have any of the hardware to support it :) I guess iBooks, but que sera.. anyway, it's hardware changes in the touch and other lines some of us were looking for.

True, but you are forgetting one thing: The precedent is being set. If they go back to charging iPT or iPad owners for iOS updates now after making this one free for everyone there is going to be a huge outcry.

So, as expected I was a little underwhelmed too. I definitely think the AppleTV will be relaunched later this year with a gyroscopic controller now and I look forward to that.

Will I upgrade and commit to 2 more years? The funny thing is that I am thinking I might. Upgrade now, sell off the 3GS and it will be close to a wash. I figure I have to pay $18 for the convenience and $299 for the 32gb, and that only puts me 1 year past my current contracted date. Do you think I can get $250+ for a 3GS from someone? And if the Verizon thing does come to pass next year I'd be eating roughly half of the new $375 ETF for pro rating. No big wow. I'm currently leaning towards upgrade, put the iPhone on $15 plan and keep the iPad unlimited, and no tethering for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I am a bit underwhelmed -- only because I have upgraded my
iPhone every single year and almost each time it has cost me

$500 or more to do so.

This "underwhelm" or "disappointment" I've seen noted, and I feel a bit of, I think is not because iPhone 4 is less than spectacular. But because we've known all the amazing things coming for a month or more. The rumor mill has crushed Jobs' ability to surprise us.

Imagine if you knew nothing and you hear for the first time;

* >300 ppi display

* Video calls

* Faster

* 15%+ better battery life

* iBooks

* No penalty early upgrade for 3GS owners

* good quality camera (I honestly expect this to outperform those 8MP phone cameras)

Setting aside preconceptions: I'm about to buy a pair of the best phones ever made. 300dpi, faster, good battery life. This is some serious kit!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Didn't go to WWDC this year, so I'm glad I didn't get three hours of sleep to wake up at 5am to stand in line for three hours.

But this is about what I was expecting for the public keynote. Anyone expecting the kitchen sink just sets themselves up for disappointment, especially with the rise of rumor sites and the degrading of ethics. Apple's secrecy is of course at the core of it, but I dunno if there's anything they could do that would improve the situation, on balance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron, can we get an official "iPhone 4 thread"? You can make a new one or rename my "iPhone 4G Rumors" thread.

Thanks!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am disappointed there are no new hardware upgrades for the iPod Touch.Still waiting for it to at least have a built in mic and camera.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

I am disappointed there are no new hardware upgrades for the iPod Touch.Still waiting for it to at least have a built in mic and camera.

iPod updates are always at a special event in September, right after the back to school, free iPod Touch with your Mac promotion ends.

I think Apple now has a clear upgrade cycle: iPad April; iPhone June; iPod September

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No penalty early upgrade for 3GS owners

That's not true -- at least how I understand it.

I am a 3GS owner. Yet when I bought that phone
a year ago I entered into a new 2-year contract.
All that AT&T is doing this time around is giving

a 6 month relief on top of those nearing the end

of their contract period.

As far as I know, I and everyone else who bought

that 3GS last year and entered a new 2-year contract

is not going to get the discount pricing.

I hope I am wrong, cause for $199-$299 I can easily

buy the new phone.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

That's not true -- at least how I understand it.

I am a 3GS owner. Yet when I bought that phone
a year ago I entered into a new 2-year contract.
All that AT&T is doing this time around is giving

a 6 month relief on top of those nearing the end

of their contract period.

As far as I know, I and everyone else who bought

that 3GS last year and entered a new 2-year contract

is not going to get the discount pricing.

I hope I am wrong, cause for $199-$299 I can easily

buy the new phone.

No, you are correct.

If your current contract is set to expire this year only does the agreement happen. So, you must be at least 18 months into a 24 month contract. ATT is waiving the last 6 months. If you just signed an agreement last year, you will pay full price, no discount.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

iPod updates are always at a special event in September, right after the back to school, free iPod Touch with your Mac promotion ends.

I think Apple now has a clear upgrade cycle: iPad April; iPhone June; iPod September

And Mac.... apparently just at random, you know, when they get to it ;)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by mattCR

No, you are correct.

If your current contract is set to expire this year only does the agreement happen. So, you must be at least 18 months into a 24 month contract. ATT is waiving the last 6 months. If you just signed an agreement last year, you will pay full price, no discount.

That'[s how I understood it as well and that kind of bites. It apperas that my upgrade date is listed as 2/20/11. It's now pretty hard to find/tell your date from AT&T's site. The February date doesn't make sense to me. When was the 3GS released?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 3GS was released last year same time.

My update is in 2/11 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread