What's new

*** Official "AMERICAN PIE 2" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Saw this on opening day and loved it. Thought the opening was kind of slow, because too much of the scene had been given away in the trailer. Stifler definitely stole the show. If they make another sequel, it should revolve around the Stifler character. Some of the scenes were very reminiscent of the first AP, but I was laughing so hard I didn't even care. One gripe is that there wasn't enough of the other characters (Oz, Kevin, Vicki, and Jessica). The soundtrack was great, too, so much so that immediately after I saw the movie, I went out and bought the CD. I'll be seeing AP2 a few more times.
------------------
Jake
JAWSMovie.com - My JAWS Fansite
My Arcade PC
My Home Theater Pics
[Edited last by Jake Gove on August 12, 2001 at 02:07 AM]

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am going against the grain here by not enjoying the movie as much as the first one. Both me and my wife thought it was funny, but no where near the greatness of the first one. The first 3rd of the movie is pretty void of laughs, it just seems to pieced together and forced. The first movie did not have this problem, it was laughs through the whole film.
I did enjoy the movie, but not enough to spend $20 on it. For me it is a renter...

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Dwight. I didn't laugh nearly as much as I did when I saw the first one. There's definitely some funny stuff there, but it just wasn't as good. I don't expect great storytelling from a movie like this but many of the scenes just seemed like they through them in there for the heck of it and didn't have any point. I did like how they focused more on Jason Biggs/Allyson Hannigan's characters and Stifler. I don't know how big a career Sean William Scott can have, I mean how many times can he play the same type of character? He's definitely funny though. I bet Tara Reid had more scenes and they cut them out cause she really sucks (she's barely in the movie though). And that guy that plays her ex-boyfriend, he's the worst. The worst parts of the movie are definitely the "hey we're a bunch of sensitive guys talking on the beach" scenes. Yuck. Stick to the core idea of the movie please. Oh and I can look past this cause I know it's just a movie BUT how unrealistic is it that those guys could get at the last minute and even afford that totally awesome place at the beach? Not very likely.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
BTW...
I think Alyson Hanagan may have uttered the funniest line of any movie I've seen this year: (Do NOT read this line of dialogue if you haven't seen the movie yet!!!!)
Spoiler:"And that includes f***ing me ** *** ***!"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Holy crap! It was half the line itself and half her delivery, but good god did this make me laugh!
(Sorry, but I had to edit it cuz it's just too damn raunchy and I'm a respectable sort.) :)
------------------
Scott
TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on August 12, 2001 at 11:27 PM]

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I guess I am also in the minority. The first AP is one of my fiancee's favorite movies. So this was her big summer movie. We just...didn't really enjoy it. As one reviewer put it, this film was driven by financial needs, not comedic wants. Which is a highbrow way to say "they were going to make it no matter what, regardless of how soulless it got." Is it awful? No. It is a 2-star movie. It is just disappointing. I did enjoy Stifler, but that was about it. Even though you could see where the Jim/Michelle thing was going from the first shared scene, that provided some fun moments as well. But the need to get EVERYONE from the first one into it (like Sherman and the MILFers) showed how little original thought they wanted. They took the skeleton of the first movie and just changed the gags. Observe...
AP AP2
Jim's self-love :) Jim's shared love
But he's caught in the ACT!!! By Mom and Dad.
The first party where The first party where
Stifler drinks spunk takes a golden shower
Kevin calls his brother who gives him advice
on girls on staying friends
and Kevin makes the deal Kevin makes the plan
Jim's internet love Stifler/Finch/Jim/Lesbians?
seen over the internet heard over CB frequency
Jim and the pie Jim and the glue
followed by followed by
Motivational talk from Dad Ditto
Prom Party at the beach
Kevin is emotionally hurt Kevin is emotionally hurt
and leaves
and the friends follow to "share a moment"
and of course Stifler's Mom...who they NEVER should have named!
They are many more examples. And this is not ironclad... they deviated some. But not much. To each his own, though. I just thought it was a less-than-average sequel to a great movie. Glad to hear it entertained many. Maybe 3 will utilize some character-growth (maybe even a new character!) and new jokes :)
Take care
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I saw this last night and also thought this was funnier and better than the first one (as in MUCH less sappy).
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who noticed Alyson Hannigan's voice change. What was up with that? It was much higher, sometimes.
I also wondered what happened to Stifler's Dad, since that was a widely reported character . . .
Anyway, anyone who likes the American Pies should definitely check out Road Trip. That movie rocks, and definitely could have been a spin-off/sequel all by itself. Stifler rules in that one too.

Chuck Schick

Stunt Coordinator
It no doubt was an complete lift from the first film- but it was pretty damn funny. The movie is all about the laughs anyway.
My rating - 4/5 stars. Made Meatballs 2 look like Meatballs 3!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
There is something about Alyson Hannigan I just love.
I saw this picture of her and can't even beleive how pretty she can be...
www.netcolony.com/image.cgi?url=/members/machizmo/00005b.jpg
------------------
"Uh-oh."
"Don't tell me, we're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"....Bring it on."
My DVD List
Home Theater Site

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to say something: regardless of your feelings of the movie, you have to admit the whole "Shermanator" seducing Nadia bit with The Terminator theme playing in the background was pure genius. :)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on August 18, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Pure genius? Seemed a bit obvious to me.
Adam, have you checked out the pics of Allyson Hannigan on fhm.com? Pretty good.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Since I just posted a longer review in the *official* thread, let me be blunt. :)
American Pie 2 is one of the WORST "films" ever made. A mess from beginning to end without a single genuine laugh. Bad in every conceivable way and a MUST to avoid at all costs!
And yes, I hated the first one too, but that one was, as I said in the other thread, Citizen Kane compared to this disaster.
ZERO STARS. Sorry people, but I Really hated this movie.
frown.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Users who are viewing this thread