What's new

*** Official ALIEN VS. PREDATOR Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I've always liked "Predator 2", don't know what people have against it? The first one is better but the second is by no means "a bad movie"...

I wish they would make a 2 disc "Special Edition" of this movie like we recently got for the first.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've always favored P2 over the original. Much more interesting than a bunch of folks blundering about in the jungle for 90 minutes.

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
This one is easy to sum up. It can be reviewed in two simple words. 'Eye' and 'Candy'. It did exactly what it was intended to do — place two interesting sci-fi characters on the screen at the same time. Quite honestly, this movie should have been all about the Predators and the Aliens. It did not even need human characters or even a bachground story in it. Even though I was not overly impressed with the entire movie as a whole, I will end up purchasing it on DVD for this scene alone:

The queen runnning in full stride towards the female lead (don't know her name but I wouldn't kick her out of bed for nothing) as the queen is busting and smashing her way through debris. This scene is going to kick ass on my home theater system!

It really is too bad that the majority of screen time is spent showing the human characters, and NOT what we bought the ticket for — a Predator kicking an Alien's butt!

:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Finally watched this on DVD and enjoyed it - until the last scene. My reaction to it is similar to those who complained about the ending to Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes. A hybrid Predator-Alien? Give me a break!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I really liked this movie especially since it made Lance Henrikson part of an exclusive club. He and Bill Paxton are the only actors whose characters have been killed by a Terminator, a Predator and an Alien.;)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Why? It isn't any more ridiculous than what has been shown before. The alien's appearance seems to have to do somewhat with the host. Alien 3 it was a dog, and it ran around on four legs most of the time. Besides, this was just a little in joke for anyone who's played the AvP videogames.
I watched it and thought it was OK. Not bad, but certainly not great. Better than Alien 4, but that's it. I still love Alien 3 as a movie, though I don't like what it did to the continuity. I'd give it 2.5 out of 5. There should have been less talking and more Alien vs. Predator action.
But I did absolutely love the Alien Queen chasing the female lead through the snow. Awesome stuff.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

That's true. I stand corrected. However I have a bit of an issue with the gestation time, which seemed so fast for humans but significantly slower for Predators. You could chalk it up to the differences in physiology I suppose but it seems kind of like backfilling a plot hole to me...

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I purchased DVD with no expectations, skipped it on the big screen as too iffy.
Honestly, I enjoyed it.

Pulling me out of the mood: Gestation length confusion between prior films and during this film. Bishop Weylands part. “The Cube” type reconfiguring pyramid.
If they want to encourage enthusiasm in moviegoers about the mating of these series into further intergalactic rumbles, combining the stories to continue the saga. Should not the historical Weyland have been much more interesting than a guy on his last legs out for one last hurrah? I don’t object to that, but some of the lines he was given….”Don’t’ turn your back on me!!!” did not fit the altruistic prior lines of his “Sir Richard Branson-ness” character as flowing from prior dialogue in the movie. If he was attempting only to attract the Predator away from the rest of his crew, the line failed as he sounded as if he was truly offended the alien had the gall to turn its back to him. Bishops most effective moment, “Do you think all your father remembers is the pain?” The rest of the film, his face, presence and voice were wasted just tagging along for the ride. What misuse of such a prominent established character from Alien/Aliens.

Favorite part: The 3rd Alien and the quick forging of an alliance with the woman. Believable to me. If he’s a smart alien who appreciates courage under fire. Even classing her as exceptionally puny, and knowing he won’t make it his business if she keeps up or not. He might have correctly assumed that at the least she would be handy as a distraction to the serpents till they get her. Not so arrogant in character, to pass up any available resources, since his team had rather unexpectedly diminished to a headcount of one. And as long as he keeps his helmet on….I found him…… rather dangerously sexy.

I disagree that the Predators are simply a-holes. In Predator, Predator II and AVP, they do show '”their of-own-kind' version of ethics. This is very smart story telling to make the bad guys better rounded, in a film or story, The same reason so many have fallen in love with Al Sweargan’s character, in “Deadwood”. He has his moments of (to Al) weakness, like everyone else. You can relate for a moment while following the wickedness. They are not simple, unthinking, ravening destroyers but have adaptable method and motivation that can be impacted by outside sources. I am not familiar enough with the miniscule details amongst all three films but in AVP noticed a few moments I appreciated as regards the Director / Screen Writer trying to flesh out the personality of a Predator. They slaughter quickly and without discretion when a prey is armed. They leave no crippled prey to suffer (in this film). The last Predator arriving bottom of tunnel quickly kills the crippled (fallen from topside) guard. This dying man is no threat and I got the impression from body language it was a mercy kill for the Predator as he passed through the tunnel.
This idea was reinforced when the predator in the midst of heated battle, takes time to include a swipe towards the mercenary, slowly being squeezed like garlic in a press as the tightening net has just popped the metal casing of the flashlight. It appeared again, a sort of mercy kill. He will be dead if left alone for a few more minutes of agony, and the Predator does this while still tracking other threatening mobile targets.
The Predators scan of Weylands chest and decision to pass him on the stairs leaving him unmolested.
His stillness and lack of action while seemingly thoughtfully observing how the woman handles her doomed companions predicament. Evidently throughout this film, if you are healthy and armed you have about a second before you are likely to be swatted like a fly. If you are in other “conditions” its up to the personal discretion of your local Predator.

Light compared to the first efforts of each genre. With the expected lack of freshness that most continuing saga’s exhibit. Never equal to the impact of your first viewing of a Star Wars, Predator, Alien in all their, fresh concept and new technological glory.

“But my heart could stand about 5 more of these”, just for fun, and the chance of a really great one excelling amongst any future efforts.

I have one question. Do you get an extra special tattoo if you kill a queen?

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Why shouldn't you get a special mark for killing a queen?

hypotheticals aside, I actually had some fun with this movie. Its more dependant on your genuine enthusiasm for the monsters on display in this film. Everyone seems to agree that the when it really was Alien vs. Predator action (not Alien vs. human, or human vs. stupidity) that it was genuinely exciting and fun. And indeed as the promotional pieces alluded to, this movie was really envisioned with those images of the Predators battling a whole army of Aliens on an Aztec pyramid (great concept art, wonderfully realized).
I think the real failings of the execution of the film lie with the producers' demands, and not the creative vision. David Giler(the producer of the Alien series) seems more concerned now with a "marketable" or "accessible" film, and thus it kind of falls back on "the old haunted house" (though not as creatively as Alien) as well as relying on human characters as the focus of a film where they really(and almost literally) have no business being in. Why not have a young Predator warrior as your main character? That would give people exactly what they wanted, making you a "member" of this alien tribe. At least give the humans a fighting chance by making them Space Marines (like in the video games and comics)- they're more fun and colorful anyway.

I think if there are going to be more Alien or Predator films (that aren't absolute embarassments), they'll need to allow the truly creative forces to regain control of the franchises.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I liked the flick; outside of the end with the hybrid... it just didn't make sense.. and here's why: in the rest of the film, the predators were all able to see inside of people, to see the animal gestating and then they knew they had to die.

Here, you had a predator with one growing inside of him.. why did none of the other predators catch on?

That was the part that bothered me most.. I felt like if they would have ended it with the predators leaving (alone) and cut the last 2 minutes, it would have been a significantly better film.

Lee Ford

Agent

According to one of the guys in the commentary (can't remember who), that's why none of the predators were wearing their helmets at the end, since, like you said, they would be able to detect the alien inside immediately with the special x-ray vision in their helmets.

What I'm wondering is why the lead Predator didn't just kill himself when he got the face hugger, since they usually kill humans that are impregnated. Maybe he didn't realize he had an alien inside? Although, I guess since he was the only one left he had to stay and make sure all the aliens were dead first, so they wouldn't spread to the surface.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Why would he care if they spread to the surface? As they showed in the past, they wiped out all humanity or thing before.. you'd think they'd have no qualms with doing it again..

Anyway, yeah, that's pretty convenient, though, that none of the predators had their masks on when they were on the ice to pick him up.. I just can't hardly buy that.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Watched this again last night... for the third time and, once again, thoroughly enjoyed it......again......

Being a long time fan of the old B horror movies of the 50's, I guess I am able to sit and enjoy a movie simply on it's on merits without some judgements based on prior films clouding things and I'm glad my mind turns off its "believable" mode and turns on the "entertainment" mode........

This movie, IMHO, definitely rekindles the Alien AND Predator line and I hope the obvious does occur......

The sound in this movie is also top notch and quite dramatic...... one of the first I've watched since re-calibrating my system and moving my sub and I enjoyed every loud moment......

Definitely making it part of my horror collection........

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I mistakenly watched the theatrical version instead of the extended version last night. Other than the quick new opening, are there a lot of other extended/new scenes throughout the movie?

David_N

Stunt Coordinator

I also disagree that Predators are shown as a-holes. The predators are on earth to find worthy trophies. As said previously, the Predator in part 2 kills all the people on the subway, that are armed, but did you notice he only takes one skull/trophy (I'm guessing it was Jerry/Bill Paxton). Jerry was the only one who put up a fight with the Predator.
(As an aside Bill Paxton is the only actor killed on screen by an Alien and a Predator and a Terminator.)

But as far as AvsP goes I enjoyed it. But I did find the shifting pyramid questionable.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Not true. Lance Henrickson, on his death in Alien vs. Predator became the second actor killed by an alien, a predator and a terminator.

1. Henrickson is killed by Arnold Schwarzenegger in "The Terminator" (shot with an assault rifle) in the attack on the police station.

2. Bishop is basically killed by the queen Alien in "Aliens" since he doesn't survive in "Alien3" she essentially killed him.

3. Weyland is killed by the Predator in the most recent film.
:D

BTW -Did anyone notice that Weyland taps his pen between his fingers the way Bishop does with a knife in the mess hall scene with Bill Paxton in "Aliens?"

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Ripley deactivates him at his request, so you can't say that the Alien Queen killed him. His "injury" wasn't even "life-threatening". It is said that he could have been repaired. Bill Paxton can still claim to be the only actor killed by an Alien, a Predator and a Terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks